Lyrical has a real business with real customers. The last thing he needs is anyone from fiverr within 100 miles of his site. Sure, it might be "possible" to do it that way, but the downside is much bigger than the upside.
So, I had an advertising rep call me up and tell me that they could get me an organic listing in google in all of the cities and suburbs that my business covers.
Hiring a reputable SEO firm is very sketchy business. There are tons of them out there, and at this point, most of them will literally do more harm than good. And unlike some other businesses, having big clients doesn"t really mean they aren"t going to do harm.
Can anyone tell me how I can do this myself?
Considering the lack of competition, you should be able to rank for local terms without much more than the intent to do so a bit of attention.
Find the terms you want to rank for. (If you"re already using adsense, you should have a decent idea what people search for and what converts.)
Make sure you have pages on your site that put those keywords to good use.
Make sure your site, and specifically those pages, have good on-page seo. (you can easily google up decent on-page checklists.)
Make sure you have entries in whatever local directories are relevant in your area with links back to your site. (Use in-context links with your target terms as anchor text where appropriate.) Do the same with the major social stuff (Facebook, twitter, google, etc etc.)
With no real competition, that"s probably enough to get you ranked. If you want to go a bit further, make some informational posts (teach people the best way to some landscaping thing... of course, they"re not going to do it themselves, and your very helpful article/video just shows that you"re the exact person to call) on some popular/useful local sites.
Of course, you can outsource it all (maybe even to fiverr!), but just be really, really sure that you"re getting exactly what you want.
We do google adwords banners, but they told me that only 40% of customers go there, and the other 60% pull people out through the organic links.
The overall ratio means fuckall because it will vary dramatically based on the user and the term. Generally, more internet-savvy users avoid ads like the plague while the "average" user might not even be able to tell the difference. Also, informational terms ("how do i tell if my lawn is on fire?") will tend to result in organic results while more buying oriented terms ("lawn extinguishers in baltimore") can produce more ad clicks.