Ghost of Tsushima

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My brother's family was in for vacation, and my nephews brought their PS4, hooked it up to my 65 inch LG OLED C9. Holy Christ, game looks amazing. Best graphics I've seen on PS4 (or at least equal to Red Dead 2). Game is fun to play, too. I played around with it a little bit, and I really enjoyed the combat, especially the parrying and combo attacks that you can pull off. I may buy a PS5 just to play this game. I never purchased a PS4, but this has to be one of, if not the best game for the system, no?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My brother's family was in for vacation, and my nephews brought their PS4, hooked it up to my 65 inch LG OLED C9. Holy Christ, game looks amazing. Best graphics I've seen on PS4 (or at least equal to Red Dead 2). Game is fun to play, too. I played around with it a little bit, and I really enjoyed the combat, especially the parrying and combo attacks that you can pull off. I may buy a PS5 just to play this game. I never purchased a PS4, but this has to be one of, if not the best game for the system, no?
you have ask ppl who have played other open world games like horizon, red dead as a direct comparison.

as one of the few idiots that played tlou2, it doesn't even come close (besides having better mo-cap, but i means thats naughty dogs forte)

i would say just like tlou is the ps3's swan song, ghost of tsushima has to be the ps4 swan song.

having played 6 asscreeds, it is the best assassins creed ever, GOT story is fucking great... hell it's not a fucking train wreck that asscreed is storywise.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I usually let people suffer the consequences of their own actions, but because I have a high appreciation for this game and the characters, I’ll just say don’t click if you really want to enjoy stuff...

Holy shit! When you walk in and find Enjo there all stubby and Norio is like, hey man give me a minute here... damn. This game is great.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
you have ask ppl who have played other open world games like horizon, red dead as a direct comparison.

as one of the few idiots that played tlou2, it doesn't even come close (besides having better mo-cap, but i means thats naughty dogs forte)

i would say just like tlou is the ps3's swan song, ghost of tsushima has to be the ps4 swan song.

having played 6 asscreeds, it is the best assassins creed ever, GOT story is fucking great... hell it's not a fucking train wreck that asscreed is storywise.

RDR 2 was a great ride, but I don't feel like I want to play it again anytime soon. Rockstar does a great job, but they went in the direction of more realism whereas Sucker Punch was all about fun and quality of life. Also while there's a ton of different items and controls in both games, I seem to remember it adding some level of clunkiness in RDR2, at least in comparison to Tsushima. Like stance changes in a big melee combat are seamless. That sort of thing.

When I first played Red Dead Redemption... 10 years ago... I wished that Rockstar would do an open-world samurai game since the old west and feudal Japan settings have a lot of thematic overlap and the Way of the Samurai series was good, but limited. Well, I got my wish and it's even better than if Rockstar had made it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
RDR2 was a great game, visually and story wise. But it had some serious issues where the game's shit controls just stripped you out of the world and kept it from being fun at times. GoT never strays from the game being fun and does not prohibit the player from enjoying it on their own terms at any point. The last time I can remember a game doing close to the same was probably God of War 4, which shares some of the camera issues with GoT, but even that game did not have the instant open world accessibility and freedom of this one. Before that I think you have to rewind it all the way back to Fallout New Vegas to find an open world with as much fun and variety of viable playstyles, and that game had bugs all over at release and you could only focus on one or two play styles in a given playthrough. There just has not been an accessible open world game on this level with this degree of QoL features.

• 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
RDR2 for me had great visual, great story and characters, but was a very average game gameplay wise. I'm glad I played it, but was glad when it ended and never ever considered playing it again. I doubt I’d play RDR3 if they make one, unless the gameplay is vastly improved.

Horizon Zero Dawn for me is the game of this generation. Awesome setting, great story, great characters, great gameplay. I replayed it a second time, and might very well do so again when Horizon 2 comes out.

Ghost of Tsushima is up there with as great setting, great story, good characters and great gameplay. I might replay it again one day. I’ll definitely will play DLC, or sequels if they do them.

Between this and HZD, I prefer HDZ. The setting alone just hit so many buttons for me, Aloy was also more interesting to me. I like Jin well enough but he was a bit bland at times. I also preferred the layered story telling of HZD, where you learn new things, and some twist here and there. I also love the recorded messages in HDZ which added tons of depth to the story from the perspective of regular people. GoT story while great was fairly straightforward with no real twist, and little depth to it.

When it all said and done though...it’s a spectacular game that I would recommended to anyone who remotely enjoys open world games, or the setting.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Between this and HZD, I prefer HDZ. The setting alone just hit so many buttons for me, Aloy was also more interesting to me. I like Jin well enough but he was a bit bland at times.

Funny but for me it's the opposite. Both HZD and GOT are amazing games, though I'm biased by my love of all things feudal japan in GOT's favor. I thought Aloy was a good character but a bit too preachy and Mary Sue'ish, while Jin is for me the perfect blend of subtle snark and simmering badass under the polite and quiet demeanor.

Like when..

.. Lady Masako goes berserk and decides to duel you because she needs to take it out on someone, you spare her after the mongols interrupt the duel but after you fight together to kill the mongols, Jin quietly says "Don't ever try to kill me again". And you can tell even Granny Badass gets it.

Also..

.. his arguments with Sensei Ishikawa where he won't let even the legendary archery master give him shit and will tell him he's being retarded.. Or when he spends some time with "Matsu" and then calls her Tomoe out of nowhere. So many great exchanges in this game it's hard to remember them all.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The draw distance on grass seems to have been greatly reduced since the patch, anyone notice? I see the grass loading in now in most areas even while on foot, don't recall ever seeing that happen pre patch.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
After you beat the main acts you can go back and do the other tales right?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just finished it. God damn that was some good classic samurai drama. Will definitely go back and platinum it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just finished it. God damn that was some good classic samurai drama. Will definitely go back and platinum it.
when you guys say platinum (i've never done that collectible gamer score thing) is that just doing every collectable?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
when you guys say platinum (i've never done that collectible gamer score thing) is that just doing every collectable?

Collectible is another trophy that includes everything but Banners iirc. The only cosmetic trophies are related to upgrading your sword and collecting a certain percentage of vanity equipment. I played through normally and the only trophies I didn’t have were the “pray at all locations,” the “sly cooper” costume one, and the “kick someone off a ledge” ones. The rest are really just side quest / game mechanics things.

Oh, and “play the flute at the grave” one.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Getting the platinum trophy, which you only get after you do every other trophy. Essentially 100% achievements.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

Platinum is getting all the achievements. You can see what you are missing when you‘re on the PS4 UI under trophies section. You don’t need to complete the in game collectibles to get Platinum. It’s actually very easy to platinum.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is pretty easy to get all the collectibles if you feel like it; wear the Travelers gear and select what you want to track, gives you a general idea of where to look. Was a chill way to run around the fantastic world.

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
They should add a “duel mode” so you can replay the duels whenever you want. Nothing kicked more ass than watching Jin thumb the blade guard before shit popped off. Those were bar none my favorite part of the game. Would be even more awesome to make em two player.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users