Ghost of Tsushima

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I cannot believe they are still shilling for Suckmann that hard, but yeah they want to die on that tranny hill for Joel in One.

My wife joking said the next GoT game will have you play a time travelling tranny who goes back to murder the main character to prevent the evil Americans from nuking Japan and will be called Ghost of Hiroshima. I laughed and then panicked because anything is possible....

Outside of the horrendous camera, the game is a fucking masterpiece. I would kill for a target lock, but if they unfucked the camera that would be better. Every other aspect of the game is perfect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This might move up my backlog then. Sounds like they really refined the open world content that has become boilerplate and outright awful in a lot of games.

• 1Like

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
This game is greatness. It definitely draws inspiration from the Assassin's Creed Origins series and from the new Legend of Zelda, which is never a bad start place. I really love the cast too though. the guy who plays Jules-Pierre Mao in the Expanse is your Archery Sensei.

But nothing beats the duels. its all fun and games until you have to really dig deep in the parries, blocks, and strikes to one-on-one a ronin.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i don't know about you all, but i make my samurai fucking gold, so i know which one of the 10 asians on screen is me.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah we have trouble telling you guys apart too.....

But seriously I am going full white for the same reason.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
This might move up my backlog then. Sounds like they really refined the open world content that has become boilerplate and outright awful in a lot of games.

This is coming from someone who absolutely loves the game, but at the core it is a very generic Open World game that follow the usual tropes of the genre.

Don't get me wrong, it does everything well, and the setting, the characters, awesome combat etc., but other than that it's an Open World game where you find the ?, liberate forts, find camps and other diverse POI.

The wind is a nice gimmick but it is nothing more than a hidden compass or marker for your objective. It's cool though. The Bird leads you to ? when you're near one, but they show up on the map anyways. The fox lead you to shrines that don't show up on the map, but the Fox Den do show up as ? as well.

It's a generic Open World game wrapped in a great setting, and has great gameplay which it turns makes it one of the better Open World game out there but it's not much more than Assassin's Creed: Samurai.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I'm enjoying the game. I agree that it isn't groundbreaking in terms of the overall open world genre, but it does have some cool mechanical innovations (duels, standoffs, wind) that, for me, are sufficient to make it feel fresh and interesting. I think another huge win is the QoL stuff they have committed to. Fuck horses that you can't ride and getting off said horses for 2 minutes every time you want to pick a damned flower. I enjoy the setting and am invested in the story and side stories in a way that I haven't been in more open world games.

I like the combat a lot after a couple of days playing. I'm playing on Hard and struggled with it a bit initially. Now I try and do the absolute minimal to slaughter guys. It is fun basically doing a standoff and then slaughtering 7 guys while barely moving. Makes me feel like a real badass and now I judge fights not by how many guys I can kill but how little effort I can put into killing them. That's not usually how I approach Assassin's games which are much more spammy.

One big miss is not being able to map Kurosawa mode to a button. I'm not going into a menu to change it every time but I would love to be able to set duels or standoffs quickly or automatically to that mode for extra Samurai baddassery.

My enjoyment of the game is also probably heightened by the incidental fact that I'm re-reading Blade of the Immortal and Beserk at the moment.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is coming from someone who absolutely loves the game, but at the core it is a very generic Open World game that follow the usual tropes of the genre.

Don't get me wrong, it does everything well, and the setting, the characters, awesome combat etc., but other than that it's an Open World game where you find the ?, liberate forts, find camps and other diverse POI.

The wind is a nice gimmick but it is nothing more than a hidden compass or marker for your objective. It's cool though. The Bird leads you to ? when you're near one, but they show up on the map anyways. The fox lead you to shrines that don't show up on the map, but the Fox Den do show up as ? as well.

It's a generic Open World game wrapped in a great setting, and has great gameplay which it turns makes it one of the better Open World game out there but it's not much more than Assassin's Creed: Samurai.
Thats a bit negative. As others have pointed out, this game does quality of life better than any open world game ever has. The individual quests are different enough to keep it consistently fresh. The horse is not retarded. The way you explore is very organic. The load times are incredibly short. And most importantly, its not a soul crushing grind fest, unlike a lot or recent open world games, with huge difficulty spikes and needless padding. This game puts you in the story and keeps you there. Also, the voice acting is top notch. Really the camera is the one lone issue the game has. Camera aside, this is a perfect specimen of this genre with all the bullshit stripped out and nothing but the actual fun left in.

One element I want to touch on and I cannot praise Sucker Punch enough for it, is the loading times. I wrapped up POE2 right before this, which is a glorified Balders Gate update, and that game with graphics that could probably run fine on a tablet had endless long ass load screens for even the tiniest of zones. I liked that game, but holy shit was it jarring to hit Fast Travel in this game and be there so fucking quick. I do not know what they did with their engine, but other Devs need to figure it out.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
another QoL, is this game is like fucking saving once ever 30s, lulz

you miss your grapple hook jumping to a shrine and you don't start from the beginning, 5s load and bam, youre right back into it.

this game is just fucking fun, you know what it is, it's like playing GTAV with all the bullshit restrictions and then playing saints row where they go, just fucking enjoy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My biggest worry about GoT after watching various trailers prior to released, was how (in the trailers) combat seemed a bit stiff / janky.... but playing it? Smooth as butter

• 1Truth!

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah and if you look at review sites, especially aggregate ones, there is definitely an agenda to make this game perceived as somehow "not as good as TLoU2" which is laughable to even say out loud. This game is crushing it with the playerbase and probably magnifying what a fuckup TLoU2 is to the suits at Sony. This game has an excellent story and is actually super fun, without bullshit padding to extend the play time. But Sucker Punch has a great track record with that sort of thing, especially the first two Infamous games.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Pro with a hybrid SSD hard drive so its faster loading than the stock one. I have this on a HDR TV with full surround stereo running with maximum display quality, such as they are in the settings, as well. No performance issues and super fast loading times. Its fucking incredible.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah and if you look at review sites, especially aggregate ones, there is definitely an agenda to make this game perceived as somehow "not as good as TLoU2" which is laughable to even say out loud. This game is crushing it with the playerbase and probably magnifying what a fuckup TLoU2 is to the suits at Sony. This game has an excellent story and is actually super fun, without bullshit padding to extend the play time. But Sucker Punch has a great track record with that sort of thing, especially the first two Infamous games.

But why? They aren't even the same genre. Not even remotely.

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I should rephrase :) Will I get disappointed if not playing on a pro?

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I think you can set it to emphasize performance and you will miss out on HDR which is really well utilized in this game. But I honestly do not know since every PS4 we have is a PRO. The graphics are only one of this games many draws, though. So if you are thinking of pulling the trigger, the lack of a PRO should not factor into your decision.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
But why? They aren't even the same genre. Not even remotely.
You think those chodes care about that? They just want the stunning and brave game to outperform the culturally appropriating shitlord fest.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Maybe I should rephrase :) Will I get disappointed if not playing on a pro?

I have a plebe PS4 on a plebe LG TV from 2009 (I'll upgrade with the PS5). It looks gorgeous. Though I would love to see it on my PC.

And Valderen is downplaying the wind "gimmick". It may be a gimmick, but I fucking love it. As I previously mentioned, when there's a minimap I spend almost all my time staring at that and not taking in the actual game world. And this game world is worth taking in. It's such a brilliantly simple mechanism that I can't believe no one has thought of it before.

• 2Like

sole

Molten Core Raider
I seriously can't get over the tracking shots you can create with this game. I feel like I'm directing a goddamn samurai movie.

One element I want to touch on and I cannot praise Sucker Punch enough for it, is the loading times.

I'm willing to overlook just about every trope (even done well) and flaw (gimme a center camera at least, cmon) in this game just because of how insanely fast it loads. Compared to other Sony exclusives: Spider-Man, HZD, Days Gone, etc., it's really understated how much it just obliterates any competition there. It is damn near seamless and there's nothing but upside from it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The camera hasn't been too awful for me yet, aside from one time the stand off was completely hidden by a huge tree. Did not win that one. I love hunting down the armor/weapons stories. Nice scenery too!

• 1Worf