Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really wanted this to be Wildlands 2.0, fixing all the shitty parts of that game. Instead, it's the same shitty driving mechanics, braindead AI (and AI Ghost team members completely removed to maybe be readded at some point in the future), a character creator that somehow makes even uglier models than GR:W's, and the gunsmith--which was nearly perfect in GR:W--was dumbed down massively. To make up for all that they've added more RPG stuff including classes, a shitty Division-esque loot system, a retarded immersion breaking player hub which also means the game is always-online, raids nobody asked for, and an injury system which barely had any effect at all in the beta.

To say I'm disappointed would be a massive understatement. I certainly wouldn't buy the game now, and not even sure I want to bother trying it out on Uplay+ at this point.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Another open beta next weekend sept 26-29.

But yeah... it's underwhelming compared to wildlands. Probably would only pick this up if it was $20 or less to play with friends.. and given division 2 hit $20 like 4-5 months after release, I can wait.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I’ve been a fan of Ghost Recon since Future Soldier and always thought it was best in class for that type of game. I trust Vorph’s reviews so that makes me pretty disappointed. This could’ve been the game that turned this into a gem and perfected all the short comings and clunkiness that comes with developing a new style of game. What a shame.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

I'll try the closed beta to give it one last shot, if for no other reason than because I just built a new computer and I want to see how it'll run on Ryzen 3600 + Radeon FX 5700 XT. If I do play the final release, it'll be through Uplay+ since it includes the full Ultimate edition content.

The changes they outlined are all welcome--especially getting rid of one of the most retarded looking running animations in the history of gaming--but they are mostly polish and the issues I have with Breakpoint are core systems like the dumbed down gunsmith and basically everything they copy/pasted over from Division. I can live with the class system and increased RPG mechanics (Wildlands had some of that already and it was fine) but Ghost Recon does not need gear score, rarity colors, or any other bullshit that makes all your gear temporary.

Their justification for the new loot system is extra idiotic: most players would pick a single loadout and use it the entire game, and they wanted to address that. Gee, what a surprise when you package up a bunch of free guns in DLC that came with the Gold edition that are easily the best in their respective class and hand them out for free the moment the player touches down in Bolivia. Especially the SR-25 Jungle, which was glitched to one-shot anything (read: vehicles) when used in the main campaign, and AFAIK never got fixed.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Open beta is this weekend from Sept 26th 6am EDT to sept 29th 10am EDT. PC, ps4, xb1. 30 gig or so download on PC, seems like if you liked ghost lands you'll prob like this, if you didn't play that there's really no reason to play this

Vorph

seems like if you liked ghost lands you'll prob like this
I don't know what you're basing that on. It's Wildlands with a shitty half-assed version of The Division's loot system tacked onto it, very few of Wildlands actual problems addressed, and Wildlands best feature (gunsmith) gutted. Wildlands' fans for the most part are not happy at all.

Ubisoft Sandbox: The Game.
Yeah, with the way they're cobbling features from all their different IPs together these days, soon Ubi is just going to make one game and slap half a dozen different skins on it.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have 4 or 5 friends that play Ghost Recon Wildlands as their main go-to game. Throw it on for an hour or two in the evening, squad up, and play some pvp or pve shenanigans. They were initially happy about an incoming sequel. They all pre-ordered, but they have subsequently canceled their pre-orders. They fucking hate Breakpoint.

You would have though that they would catered to their dedicated audience and tried to grow the player-base from there. Sounds like they said fuckit, lets just copy from our other games and try to construct the best Frankenstein shooter we can. This thing could be dead on arrival.

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I played a few hours. My poor potato really struggles.

It did the usual console port things to enrage me. Settings were all messed up, started on the wrong monitor, and it was 30 minutes before I could get to an options screen. And the press and hold to do stuff that makes me want to murder every time I play no man's sky.

It was fun though despite all that. I had no idea what I was doing but I shot people with my 15 fps and I drove a big ford into a swimming pool.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Breakpoint Open Beta2019-9-28-23-7-9.jpg

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'll have it on a rental from Gamefly. I downloaded the beta not knowing they, for whatever reason, ended it at 9am central on Sunday. That's a huge lol right there.

Doubt

Lord Nagafen Raider
Division 2 comparisons seem wrong to me. This game is AC odyssey in modern times. Map goals are the same, huge map covered in ? Marks you clear by getting all the chests. Before attacking a base let me scout it with my bird, errrrr drone. Even main quest looks similar with several targets you got to find Intel on to then eleminate.

• 2Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it definitely is amazing that the same flight mechanic is used in Far Cry, Ghost Recon, and AC, just reskinned. :p

This is what they do though. There is a lot of copy paste for feature sets across their games. Hell they didn't even bother changing the map aside from terrain passes from FC4 to FC Primal.

• 1Like

Vorph

Sums up the beta(s) pretty well. And since people can unlock the game now by VPN, reports are coming in that it's essentially identical in gameplay and mechanics to the open beta (and if you're actually surprised by this I don't even know what to say at this point).

As expected, every single weird and out of place GaaS "feature" is there just to be monetized. It is NOT just cosmetic stuff, the cash shop is full of "time savers" and you can buy gear, guns, and attachments. The super stingy crafting system can of course be bypassed as well.

Vorph

Heh, was just reading on reddit that PS+ and XBL are finally good for something. If you don't pay for online shit, you can still play GRB but will never see other players in the retard hub.

Sadly, there's no workaround for PC players since you can't actually play the game offline and there's no convenient way to block everything except for Ubi's servers.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

Sums up the beta(s) pretty well. And since people can unlock the game now by VPN, reports are coming in that it's essentially identical in gameplay and mechanics to the open beta (and if you're actually surprised by this I don't even know what to say at this point).

As expected, every single weird and out of place GaaS "feature" is there just to be monetized. It is NOT just cosmetic stuff, the cash shop is full of "time savers" and you can buy gear, guns, and attachments. The super stingy crafting system can of course be bypassed as well.

LOL @ 14:57! Hahaha.