Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Grivyn

Molten Core Raider
setup for a sequel it seems judging by the end, didn't completely hate it, not sold on the diverse pre-teen and teenage bent of the "ghostbusters" with this one however. Spent alot of time thinking "sure, yeah right, like that would actually fly" throughout the movie. Overall not something I would recommend but didnt feel like watching it was a waste of time.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
I agree on the bland and forgettable.
It is clear they were jerking us off for memba berries instead of trying to put out a good film. The concept was fine. The girl did a pretty good job being mini-Spengler. Beyond that, it was charmless. Boss fight sucked, and where did they get the soundtrack from...a bargain bin at K-Mart?

• 1Pathetic

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
Based on the fact that you love the new matrix I am going into this assuming it should win every Oscar ever.
If you actually read what I wrote instead of trying to score internet points you would see that I said it was "good, not great." And I listed its issues (i.e. lackluster 3rd act, no storyboarding, etc.). I would rank the Matrix movies in their release order.

spronk

FPS noob
I enjoyed it, kids loved it. The plot is thin, the ending is a bit rushed and lands flat, but granddaughter Egon is fantastic and the story keeps moving at a fast pace. Yeah, a billion things coulda been better and its a bummer there really isn't anything new here but I think it does a good job at balancing a crazy hard task of introducing new fans to the franchise while doing (a lot of) member-berries.

be interesting to see if this movie does well enough for a sequel. There is a mid credits sequence and a post-credits sequence.

maybe I've just been beaten down by an assload of bad movies, but at this point if I don't wanna shoot a gun at my TV at the end of a movie I call that a win

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
maybe I've just been beaten down by an assload of bad movies, but at this point if I don't wanna shoot a gun at my TV at the end of a movie I call that a win

Thats the rebb metric. If it doesn't get shut off it's a W.

• 1Picard

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Just saw it at the fancy movie theater (only $8.95 a ticket on a Saturday).
Immediate opinion-- I loved it! It was so far from the shit-storm I was anticipating. It has some pretty decent characters (the main character; a 12-year old girl is the star of the movie). It doesn't try to do anything more (in fact, it does a lot less) than the original film. BUT the entire purpose of the movie seems to be to wash the shit-taste out of the mouths of the people who adore the original film and had to have their memories raped/woked by the 2016 abysmal movie.

It's NOT a genius-level film. It's a true, loving, homage to both the original film and to Harold Ramis. You will be able to pick apart the story (if that's what you need to do). Plus no one would be wrong to say that the movie does not have pacing issues. It either needed to be smarter and longer (risky) or shorter and tighter (but then you get fewer meaningless easter eggs and fan-service). At least the production team understood the concept (hint hint: Netflix and "Cowboy Bebop").

It's a softball love-letter to the original that will leave you feeling that it's purpose was to remind you about a movie you loved without making you go into the basement and drag up the VCR player. Plus, you can bring along kids, grandkids, randos, etc, and they will enjoy it too. That's a hard, narrow fairway to hit with your big dog driver. But they did; dead center.

Bravo.

Will I remember it the way I remember seeing "The Sixth Sense" or another great film? No. But damn, it made me feel good for 2 hours and 3 minutes...

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just saw it with my wife last night. Loved it. Paul rudd is a goddamned national treasure and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Girl Sheldon was pretty great too. I'm going to assume her autism is why she didn't freak about the ghost activity.

I never saw the grrl pwwr Ghostbusters but I did like all of the originals. I'd say this one is the best of the franchise. Very few wtf immersion losing moments and lots of member berries. Maybe they did recycle the storyline, but they did it better this time.

Oh and I had completely forgotten egon was dead irl until I wondered why he wasn't speaking.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was an obsessed Ghostbusters kid growing up. From both the movies, to the cartoon, to all the fucking toys and costumes. I dressed up as Venkman for probably 4 or 5 years straight on Halloween. I remember I spilled some of the purple goo that the Firehouse came with on the carpet in my room, and even after my mom shampoo'd the carpet several times the smell of that purple goo never went away.

So needless to say by the ending I was bawling like a childish little bitch. I couldn't help it. Force ghost Ramis then broke me. I have no shame for this.

10/10 for pure nostalgic bliss. For a moment there, I was 6 years old all over again.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>

Having read some more another reason was that including a physical copy would have involved paying those involved in the 2016 movie more due to contracts, but including a digital rights copy costs and pays them essentially nothing. Which I am wholly OK with.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I thought it was pretty good. Mini-spengler and her youtuber buddy had great chemistry on screen. Wasn't expecting the emotional moments. Nice touch.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Was that Stan Lee riding the bike at 0:32?

• 1Picard