.GIF - Jiff or Giff?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why the fuck is this a big deal all of the sudden? I saw Chris Hayes and some buzzfeed mongoloids bringing this shit up on twitter earlier this week.

Now a rerolled poll? Here I come God! /wrists

iannis

Musty Nester
it's even simpler than the rules of english. It's Jiff because they arose from jpegs. You don't have to lrn2grammar, you just have to pay attention.

And plus "giff" sounds french. Like I said you are subhumans. Jiff sounds distinctly aryan influenced and naturally superior on the simple merits of being better.

G.U.I. gooey / jewy is a better argument because there is no factually correct answer.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Nobody is going to tell me how to properly pronounce things; this is America, for fuck's sake.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
In my MANY years of computing I've never heard it pronounced with a hard-"g". Always as "jiff".

• 1Picard

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm glad the reddit reposts are everywhere now and not just screenshots.
This topic was on the front of Google News yesterday... surprise! A recent headline happens to be on multiple discussion forums.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
gin1.jpg

/thread

Langemede

Golden Knight of the Realm
In order to make the hard G sound before E or I, English is forced to use the letter G because no other letter stands for the same sound, which is inconsistent with the rule: girl, get, gear, gift. Sometimes, in order to maintain the hard G sound before E or I and still be consistent with the Rule, English will insert a silent U: guess, guide, guild. [/url]
guiff ?

Firewalker

Silver Knight of the Realm
it's even simpler than the rules of english. It's Jiff because they arose from jpegs. You don't have to lrn2grammar, you just have to pay attention.

And plus "giff" sounds french. Like I said you are subhumans. Jiff sounds distinctly aryan influenced and naturally superior on the simple merits of being better.

G.U.I. gooey / jewy is a better argument because there is no factually correct answer.
A jpeg is a fucking image, images don't move. How the fuck are you going to make a giff with a picture, string together 100 of them and make a flipbook?! Jesus tittyfucking christ.

• 1Worf