Girlfriend wants to move in, how much should she pay?

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Wouldn't the landlord/tenant relationship maybe cause issues when cohabitating? Would he need to give her notice if kicking her out? Can he even give her notice if she's paying rent and hasn't done anything to violate the standard tenant/landlord laws of the state/county/city they're in, assuming they don't have a contract which doesn't contradict those laws in any way?

As far as the legal aspect goes, wouldn't him paying for everything actually make it easier for him to kick her out without her turning into pyscho bitch and finding some sleazy lawyer to fuck with him (ever see Love Stinks)? Unless I guess they wrote up a contract, which would probably cause some relationship issues for even going there.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
She has basically moved in?

Need more info, particularly as bold above me said, have you discussed this before she "basically moved in." If not I think it is a bit ridiculous to say to someone oh and by the way, since you're basically moved in now I'm going to require you to pay half my mortgage and utilities and you get nothing in return. 1/2 of everything is absurd, are you married? Is the house half hers? Is this some random stranger you don't care about? Then why do you feel asking her to pay half is even an option?

If she knew coming in she would be expected to pay rent I'd say 75% the cost to rent a decent apartment in your area is amicable.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I usually don't allow multiple accounts but I'm letting it slide here because of the reasons given. I wouldn't worry about who it is too much. The real account has very few posts on the forum so this isn't some valuable piece of information you can use against a well known poster to make everything personal like you try to do.
So it's Draegan? Nyuk nyuk.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bros, if she ain't gonna pony up like a normal, respectable adult she sure as shit ain't signing a pre-nup, and a pre-nup is necessary.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
I usually don't allow multiple accounts but I'm letting it slide here because of the reasons given. I wouldn't worry about who it is too much. The real account has very few posts on the forum so this isn't some valuable piece of information you can use against a well known poster to make everything personal like you try to do.
GIVE US A NAME

Khane

If not I think it is a bit ridiculous to say to someone oh and by the way, since you're basically moved in now I'm going to require you to pay half my mortgage and utilities and you get nothing in return. 1/2 of everything is absurd, are you married? Is the house half hers? Is this some random stranger you don't care about? Then why do you feel asking her to pay half is even an option?
She gets the benefit of a nice place to live for half the price of owning and 0% of the responsibility and cost associated with maintaining a home. Sounds more than reasonable to me.

iannis

Musty Nester
Too many variables. Terms cannot be resolved.

Start at half and then modify according to situation. You might wind up paying more than half, you might wind up paying less than half. This is actually a question you should be discussing with HER, not your e-bros.

Lots of good things will come from discussing finance with the girlfriend that wants to share your place.

KramerZX10_sl

shitlord
I'm glad I asked here. Thanks for the replies.

More on her:
Makes almost double what I get paid
Gives great head
Thinks I'm handsome etc

The only thing i've said so far about her helping out with "the bills" is that we need to discuss it soon. She's (so far) cool with it and agrees to 'help out' etc

Me:
I'm barely scraping by on what I make, but i've been fuckin making it happen by myself and don't plan on risking my house or anything I own for nobody. These last few months she's lived with me, i've been in the red by a hundred bucks here, hundred bucks there, but we've been doing stuff together too.
What i'm saying is it would really help me out if she paid half, but I don't want to even ask if that shit is uncalled for or not up to the latest internet standards.

We both cook and clean equally. She has no prob keeping the house spotless as the day she moved in.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Man I just really don't agree with that "If she doesn't have a good job she shouldn't pay" bit. Would she get free rent from a landlord in a normal renter scenario just because she doesn't have a good job? She could get government subsidies like section 8 but unless she's a total deadbeat she'd still be paying a decent amount.
Like I said in my other post it depends on the myriad facts involved.

Personally I wouldn't let a woman live with me unless we were very serious. And I wouldn't date a woman who didn't have a real career and wasn't going to school. If she's going to school fulltime I don't mind being her sugar daddy until she graduates because it'd be for her benefit.

But let's say I fall in love with some bimbo who has no income and needs a place to stay because she had to leave her last place. I'm not going to take her welfare check for it. But then she has to take care of pretty much everything in the house, lol. When my wife was inbetween jobs I did jack and shit around the house.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What would you charge a buddy who wanted to move in with you? Not 1/2 the mortgage I'm guessing...

Figure out the going rate of renting a room is in your area and use that as a baseline. Then 1/2 the bills.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Since she makes twice what you make, I would just say half down the line: bills, housing, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad I asked here. Thanks for the replies.

More on her:
Makes almost double what I get paid
Gives great head
Thinks I'm handsome etc

The only thing i've said so far about her helping out with "the bills" is that we need to discuss it soon. She's (so far) cool with it and agrees to 'help out' etc

Me:
I'm barely scraping by on what I make, but i've been fuckin making it happen by myself and don't plan on risking my house or anything I own for nobody. These last few months she's lived with me, i've been in the red by a hundred bucks here, hundred bucks there, but we've been doing stuff together too.
What i'm saying is it would really help me out if she paid half, but I don't want to even ask if that shit is uncalled for or not up to the latest internet standards.
Since she makes 2x what you get paid I think Northerner's advice is best:
Northerner_sl said:
Half the mortgage less whatever equity you accrue each month. From an accounting standpoint it is fairly clear cut, there's no way she should be paying off your place for you. To do it properly, you would actually look at the present value of the average equity gain over the lifetime of the property.

Alternately, you could look at the estimated asset's value at the end of the mortgage less present value of the payment stream and assess a monthly cost based on that. This gets considerably more tricky with risk assessment (and reduction of risk based on a second payee) but honestly, that should be baked into the mortgage cost already.
I wouldn't know how to do what he said but I'm sure someone could help you here if you give up the #s involved with your house/mortgage.

Khane

Like I said in my other post it depends on the myriad facts involved.

Personally I wouldn't let a woman live with me unless we were very serious. And I wouldn't date a woman who didn't have a real career and wasn't going to school. If she's going to school fulltime I don't mind being her sugar daddy until she graduates because it'd be for her benefit.

But let's say I fall in love with some bimbo who has no income and needs a place to stay because she had to leave her last place. I'm not going to take her welfare check for it. But then she has to take care of pretty much everything in the house, lol. When my wife was inbetween jobs I did jack and shit around the house.
I can get behind this.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Its clearly Eomer.
If it were me, I'd charge her half but I don't know your situation or anything but making her pay going rate of a room is a decent idea if you want to be a "nice guy". Depends on how serious your relationship is and all that.

Women fought long and hard for equal rights so it's time for them to start paying their share.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
If the relationship is serious, she should pay 50% down the line. Assuming engagement/marriage is in the outlook, this benefits both of you in the long run as it will end up being half of hers anyway.

Your bank should have given you the amortization table and it will probably be on your monthly statement too as far as the principal/interest goes if you go that route. Or you could just use/DL Excel's default one, or one of the 50000 loan calculators on the internet.

Any way you go, again, see what she thinks. I would see what she says about 50%. Her answer might be telling. Does she keep her own room? If so, the FMV for a room in the area isn't a bad idea either. Whatever you do, make sure you're both perfectly clear and on the same page with the arrangement. Don't let it be up in the air. And don't let her give you head while you have the talk. You will end up paying for everything.

Khane

Why can't I find a woman who makes twice as much as I do? I wanna live on easy street and own boats and shit.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Try and be reasonable about the whole thing and if at any point in time she becomes unreasonable, kick the bitch to the curb because you don't want to be in a relationship with someone who isn't reasonable.

Northerner

N00b
It's pretty simple really or at least is simple enough if you aren't submitting any of it to a governmental agency and don't need an exact answer.

If you just want to ballpark it though,take your mortgage value in totalminus the cost of the property itself. That's a decent base cost or at least close enough for this. Then just divide that be however many months are in your mortgage (total, not remaining) and half that would be her share based on use-costs. ThisIS NOTproper accounting but it should give you a reasonable figure rather than doing a full TCO. It also never hurts for the "fairness" perception if there's a little light math involved but not enough to scare her.