Girls who broke your heart thread

I disagree.

I think you should actually give her a chance, but...

a) Let her work for it every step of the way.
b) Dont be a pussy, dont play lapdog. You make the rules.
c) Play her abit, push her away for no reason, cancel dates, tell her about other girls you met that were really nice (as friends, nothing serious)

As long as you make sure you stay slightly out of her reach, dont play her pet and dont fully take her back...
... it will last alot longer if she just wants attention etc
... you can see if it might be serious or not

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
EmpireF4i said:
So I get a message from my ex yesterday on Facebook. Dont know how to respond to it or how to take it.

She was pretty much the love of my life, but it was always lies and I felt like I couldnt trust her. Heres the message.
Being someone who was in almost this exact situation, I would tell you to give her a chance. If you really enjoyed the relationship before you guys broke up (the good parts) then there"s a good chance that all of those good parts are going to be magnified and the bad parts (there"s always bad parts) are just going to be less because you"re two people who know each other, and you know what didn"t work last time.

The best thing my girlfriend and I ever did was break up for about 6 months. Helped both of us grow and being apart from each other that long and seeing other people made us realize just how much we liked each other.

But then again the situation could be completely different for you, I can only say what worked for me.

If you do decided to get back together.

DONT TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS
your previous relationship
things she fucked up in your previous relationship
the people you dated while you were apart
anything that happened before you guys got together again
your previous relationship

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
Yeah, nothing like ignoring the negative aspects of the previous relationship to really cement the new one in win. This is the mantra of the simp.

If anything the previous issues need to be addressed before any fucking attempt at rekindling takes place. Beyond not talking about who you fucked in the duration thats the exact fucking opposite of what you should do.

There are no do-overs in adult committed relationships. Do-overs are what weak fucks who cant face their problems attempt, shortly before all the same problems crop up with a new face.

Ravvenn_sl

shitlord
EmpireF4i said:
So I get a message from my ex yesterday on Facebook. Dont know how to respond to it or how to take it.

She was pretty much the love of my life, but it was always lies and I felt like I couldnt trust her. Heres the message.
How long ago did you break up and how long were you dating (total, as I"m sure you had ons and offs)? Also, are you coming to our BBQ?

--

Tenks, I"m sure you gathered by my second reply to the Facebook thing I misunderstood the situation. I thought it was a serious / long-term relationship in question, and she was posting "we are obviously a couple" type of pictures of her with her ex (like cuddling on a couch, or whatever). In that scenario, I stand by my opinion and think it"s disrespectful. That has nothing to do with jealousy, it has to do with having respect for your partner. Keep that crap in a box with your baby pictures and cards from your exes.

For, say, Eomer type of "McRelationships" (see: dating) - I think posting pics with exes is fine. If anyone you"redatinggets sassy over pictures of you with someone you were previously involved with, that"s silly. Plus, if you plan to just be dating, keeping pictures up of you with other women makes you more desirable to more bitches, Lord knows we want everything we can"t have!!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
EmpireF4i said:
Yet another reason why facebook is bad. People you probably shouldn"t be talking to anymore have the ability to contact you far too easily. The ex actually had to drop by your place before, because you could just ignore her calls. Now she just up and drops a load in your inbox and you"ve got no choice but to sit around for 3 days thinking about her and what it meant. Does she really want to get back together? Maybe things will be different this time. Could I trust her again?

All shit you shouldn"t have to fucking deal with. I"m sure you just wanted to get up in the morning and go to work, but now, your whole day is fucked. Might as well call in, because you"re not going to get anything productive done anyway.

Sinron_foh

shitlord
EmpireF4i said:

Just reading her message pissed me off. I dont even know you or her.

"I had to write this for my own sanity" In other words. Ha fuck you I dont care what this message will do to you. But if it makes me feel better fuck yeah!

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
EmpireF4i said:

Ignore it, unless you are pretty bored then I would take Inconsiderable"s advice.

She may have been the love of your life, but your life isn"t over yet.

Ravvenn said:
How long ago did you break up and how long were you dating (total, as I"m sure you had ons and offs)? Also, are you coming to our BBQ?
Well we did do a lot of the on and off for years. Id say we actually dated for about 5 years in the last 10 years or so.
Im gonna try to make it to the BBQ. I have a lot of stuff planned with a friend in from South Africa and the new house and all.

I get what all of you are saying because thats ALL been through my head before, and even the last couple days.

Ive talked to her a bit and I basically told her not to expect anything, but that Id see her and see what happens. Its not like were running off getting married tomorrow, just gonna hang out and see where it goes. That might last for a few days, or months, and she could be the exact person she was before, and I could leave her then.

I havent really been dating anyone seriously for a while now so I might just check it out for fun.

When we were together it was always great, it was when we were apart that screwed things up. I think it was always a combination of my insecurities and her issues that screwed things up.

Seths_foh

shitlord
Gryeyes said:
Yeah, nothing like ignoring the negative aspects of the previous relationship to really cement the new one in win. This is the mantra of the simp.

If anything the previous issues need to be addressed before any fucking attempt at rekindling takes place. Beyond not talking about who you fucked in the duration thats the exact fucking opposite of what you should do.

There are no do-overs in adult committed relationships. Do-overs are what weak fucks who cant face their problems attempt, shortly before all the same problems crop up with a new face.
^ This.

The mantra is "it"s called a breakup because it"s broken" is true. However that does not mean that you can"t get back together. Like was said above though is thatbothpeople need to have been working on the issues that lead to the breakup, or you will just be right back there down the road. If both people took the time after the breakup to talk and discuss what went wrong and then proceeded to work on those things while growing individually then of course you can get back together and it can work out just fine and for the long haul.

Shit like that happens all the time.

Pren_foh

shitlord
Distance doesn"t make the heart grow fonder.

We broke things off last night in a mutual way. That"s my first mutual breakup... it hurts a lot less than any before have. I think it also hurts less because we"ve been growing distant for so long. The last 3 months her new job has barely let us see each other. She put it very well when she used words like "stagnating" and said that we weren"t growing. It"s what I had felt. We don"t have the ability to do things together, or to grow, to learn. We"re too tired when we do see each other, and she hasn"t even been able to drive out to see me for a couple of months. It"s been an extra burden on my time, energy, and the gas money for 90 mile round trips.

She asked me what I was thinking, and I admitted I was thinking about how hard the distance is. And she asked me another question worrying about us and that launched off a nearly three hour conversation.

I wailed when I pulled into the driveway here after getting home. This place isn"t a "home", it"s more like a prison. For the first time in my life I"ve felt like I"ve had a home when I stay with her and her family, and I"ve gotten pretty close to her mother, something I"ve never had with my own. Instead of feeling the heartache of feeling lonely and forlorn because my girlfriend is so far away, now I just feel... really alone and numb. I"m not sure what I look forward to right now, or where I will look for personal comfort. My previous ex, who has been my best friend since we broke up last year, has been really really bitchy lately and I don"t really feel like talking to her because of it.

I guess the hard part is that we have a lot of friends coming over to her halloween party this saturday. I"m still heading over on Friday to help decorate, spend the night, and have the party. I mean, I took vacation from work and it"s the last time I"ll get to party or relax until like February, so....

It"s just, we"re going to pretend we didn"t break up for the party. Neither one of us wants to be hit on or end up doing something drunk and stupid, and both of us have the potential of a trampage when alcohol is involved. That is going to be very hard.

Plus the sick irony is that I was going to get friday night through tuesday morning to spend with her. I have to be in town monday for an appointment, and now I just... a party is one thing but I don"t think I can spend all those days there just the two of us.

We did grow a lot individually together. We came together with different fears of rejection and relationship problems, and for a time, had something really, really beautiful. I am not looking forward to starting over and having to go through all the trust and bullshit again, and going through the awkward period of learning to be comfortable with our bodies in front of a new partner.

A friend of mine got hit by a truck and almost died yesterday. She"s tripping on drugs and liquor. She has suggested I join her in the painkilling experience, so at least I won"t have to drink alone tomorrow.

edit: and since I am sure people are going to ask, yes, there is a discussion of who gets to keep the toy. it was always too big for me so I told her she should keep it for her next girlfriend. If it were a bad breakup we"d probably just throw it away. Dunno, she still might, but that"s her call.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Distance doesn"t make the heart grow fonder because of some kind of supernatural function. I think that statement comes from the fact that any relationship that withstands a time with the burden of distance and separation pressing on it is already strong, and subsequently the relationship feels even more solid when you reunite with that person.

Distance is hard because it makes a relationship completely mental, and the physical reality of your existence happens in a very separate way when you don"t physically cross paths at home. Distance is a very real test of mutual commitment to make a relationship work.

P.S. Sorry for your breakup, and the cliche you will find someone else. If it is at all possible don"t throw out the relationship with her family if that"s something that"s really made an impact on you as far as feeling accepted for who you are. If its a mutual decision, and not an angry separation see what happens, who knows. Perhaps this is stupid advice if it keeps you feeling depressed thinking about your ex.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gryeyes said:

Guess I worded that wrong, I meant if they did get back together but were in an argument.

Pren_foh

shitlord
Dandain said:
Distance doesn"t make the heart grow fonder because of some kind of supernatural function. I think that statement comes from the fact that any relationship that withstands a time with the burden of distance and separation pressing on it is already strong, and subsequently the relationship feels even more solid when you reunite with that person.

Distance is hard because it makes a relationship completely mental, and the physical reality of your existence happens in a very separate way when you don"t physically cross paths at home. Distance is a very real test of mutual commitment to make a relationship work.

P.S. Sorry for your breakup, and the cliche you will find someone else. If it is at all possible don"t throw out the relationship with her family if that"s something that"s really made an impact on you as far as feeling accepted for who you are. If its a mutual decision, and not an angry separation see what happens, who knows. Perhaps this is stupid advice if it keeps you feeling depressed thinking about your ex.
That"s all very true. Yeah... I honestly think I knew this was coming for a long time, but I"m glad that I stayed until it was mutual. I think it being mutual is the key that will make things much better than the others. We texted back and forth tonight and pretty much agreed we shouldn"t drag things out until after the party because it"d be better to just tell people "we decided it was best, we"re still friends. Here we are!" instead of have to deal with all of our friends going "oh my god you two are such a cute couple zomg zomg adoration hugggzzz."

I feel like she is probably a lot, lot more heartbroken than I am. And that breaks me up the most, really. I hate hurting people. I usually sacrifice things to keep from hurting people. I can"t help her not be hurt. I don"t really know how to make that better. I want to stay her friend, I want to stay in touch with her mother. ... I am afraid what will happen when I see her in a month or two, because I am notoriously horrible for falling back for my exes when I think I am over them. Whatever adorable things they do just reel me in...

Time wounds all heels and whatnot, I suppose.

edit: aaaand facebook really is bad for old relationships, seeing pictures of someone when you"re trying to move on really makes me take back some of what i"ve said. nrgh.