Girls who broke your heart thread

Kilivek_foh

shitlord
Well not no ring period.. but something that I would find that would have special meaning.. say it was made by me in some unique place, etc; some special meaning attached to the ring, not the size of the rock.

Actually more specifically, I want to find a woman that when the topic came up, she would mention the stuff I outlined above and said something like "find me something special instead".. that kind of thing. But I guess that in itself could also be construed to be for egotistic purposes.

Pretty sure that woman doesn"t exist.

Do you guys agree with my analysis though?

Awlbiste_sl

shitlord
Ah, I see what you mean. Well I know two different couples who got bands made on Etsy. Does that count as non-commercially obsessed? They were pretty cool.

I think probably a good number of women are interested in the size of the rock as a status symbol. It"s very strongly ingrained in our (American, anyway) culture. It would be difficult to find a woman who doesn"t want a diamond, but some definitely exist. You definitely have to buy some kind of ring though.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Kilivek said:
Well not no ring period.. but something that I would find that would have special meaning.. say it was made by me in some unique place, etc; some special meaning attached to the ring, not the size of the rock.

Actually more specifically, I want to find a woman that when the topic came up, she would mention the stuff I outlined above and said something like "find me something special instead".. that kind of thing. But I guess that in itself could also be construed to be for egotistic purposes.

Just stop looking for women in America. As has been brought up before, ridiculously expensive wedding rings are a cultural thing, particularly American and "Western" cultures.

Go find yourself a nice Eastern European girl.

I know that for Russians earrings are actually considered the "engagement" jewelry and they aren"t expected to be expensive.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Awlbiste said:
I think probably a good number of women are interested in the size of the rock as a status symbol. It"s very strongly ingrained in our (American, anyway) culture. It would be difficult to find a woman who doesn"t want a diamond, but some definitely exist. You definitely have to buy some kind of ring though.
We bought silver bands when we were married because we were fucking poor. I bought her a small white gold/diamond band a couple years later. Neither of us wear them anymore because it"s fucking ridiculous and the rings are not the reason we"re together. We also don"t need to be reminded that we"re in a relationship, it"s a fact we"re well aware of.

Now, do I think that there is a sizable percentage of the population that would be able to pull this off? Fuck no. For that, I pity you guys.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
What I don"t get is this whole blood diamond thing being a turn off. I want to know the gem I hold so dear cost many lives.

Kilivek_foh

shitlord
Need to have some kind of way to know how many child laborers" hands were cut getting your gal"s gem. I mean, the more childrens" hands cut the more precious the diamond right?

Turkish_foh

shitlord
Kilivek said:

What exactly is your analysis? So far it has amounted to "women who "want" a wedding ring are egotistical and only want rings as a social status. There couldn"t possibly be any other explanation for them wanting a ring."

You completely dismiss any idea that a woman could want a ring as a physical representation a commitment they have made to someone. Also, saying "every woman I ask.." can nearly always be translated into "I argued with a chick one time about.." It"s pretty obvious you have a general bitterness towards the idea without much foundation for it. I, personally, know plenty of women around my age in healthy marriages that didn"t give two shits about what kind of ring, if any, was involved in their wedding ceremony. But of course, they were trying to show off by having a wedding as well, right? Your view of women is skewed to the point of absurd generalization. Spare us from throwing around the term "analysis" when you really mean to say "baseless opinion."

Kilivek_foh

shitlord
Yes, that"s right... that the only reason a woman wants a wedding ring (well, an expensive wedding ring) is just for the extension of ego. It"s no different than buying a high-end sports car. And yes, I would classify all women who wants this as such, otherwise why does it have to be expensive?

And not at all.. I actually ask many women friends and colleagues the same question because I"m pretty interested in the answer. So the sample size is pretty large, at least from an anecdotal perspective.

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
So you think women would demand diamond rings if a diamond ring wasn"t ingrained via marketing and through that as a status symbol? BZZZZZZT wrong!

The "expression of love and commitment" is one clearly documented and cataloged by those selling fucking diamonds. Here try this out, have a male demand a diamond ring as a "symbol of commitment" and see how that flies.

What exactly is your analysis? So far it has amounted to "women who "want" a wedding ring are egotistical and only want rings as a social status. There couldn"t possibly be any other explanation for them wanting a ring."

You completely dismiss any idea that a woman could want a ring as a physical representation a commitment they have made to someone. Also, saying "every woman I ask.." can nearly always be translated into "I argued with a chick one time about.." It"s pretty obvious you have a general bitterness towards the idea without much foundation for it. I, personally, know plenty of women around my age in healthy marriages that didn"t give two shits about what kind of ring, if any, was involved in their wedding ceremony. But of course, they were trying to show off by having a wedding as well, right? Your view of women is skewed to the point of absurd generalization. Spare us from throwing around the term "analysis" when you really mean to say "baseless opinion."
No more edit.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Gryeyes said:
So you think women would demand diamond rings if a diamond ring wasn"t ingrained via marketing and through that as a status symbol? BZZZZZZT wrong!

The "expression of love and commitment" is one clearly documented and cataloged by those selling fucking diamonds. Here try this out, have a male demand a diamond ring as a "symbol of commitment" and see how that flies.

No more edit.
No more than any other portrayed societal norm; what"s your argument for the exceptions that exist then? One that aims to be accepted into a society of bull shit, by further perpetrating the cycle is of the same brand that perpetrate the cycle from its onset. That a person is prone to engender such a norm isn"t a different then the lemmings who would follow suit, better in fact I"d say since at least they"ve profiteered. Is your argument purely that people then, in this case specifically of the female persuasion, simply cannot help but feel the undeniable urge to succumb to the aforementioned bull shit that is portrayed via the marketing machine, and therefore somehow must be rescued from themselves per their own shallow vanities?

Aamina_foh

shitlord
Sorry to derail this truly interesting ring conversation.

In the wake of my divorce I have developed an extremely high level of confidence in approaching and talking to women. I"ve been on maybe 9 or 10 first dates, half of whom I met online. Three of them wanted to date more and I said yes to one of them, but then when we were talking later, she busted out:

"Yeah I"d like to date but just fyi, I love sex. I am a sex fiend."
"Oookay...fine by me."
"I mean like, I really want to have sex with 2 guys at once. Really soon. So if you"re up for that we can keep doing this."

But I don"t really want AIDs or to see another guy naked and anything that entails.

Shanter_foh

shitlord
Go out with the other two who said they wanted to date more. Delete that crazy women"s number from your phone after you give it to kegkilla, of course.

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
Voyce said:
No more than any other portrayed societal norm;
Excellent then I am glad we are in agreement. You know with the stipulation that this societal norm was crafted with intent form those selling diamonds...

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Gryeyes said:
Excellent then I am glad we are in agreement. You know with the stipulation that this societal norm was crafted with intent form those selling diamonds...
And if there"s a spot in a human"s hubris to be tickled it will be tickled, in the same vein as dropping 45 grand for a Rolex, there wasn"t some black hand that convened and set about to magically influence a person to believe gold, or diamonds were of specific value based purely off of a rarity (real or speculated), that"s simply ego. No different from someone buying a Lincoln MKZ over a Ford Fusion, just another way to one-up your fellow man. That it exists is only a function of those that buy into it, if there wasn"t a market to sell to the market wouldn"t exist after all.

Your argument it sounds like, is that there was a market before there was a clientele. I would say that is almost exclusively opposite the case, people are waiting for the next big thing they want to have their ego stroked.

Gryeyes_foh

shitlord
Voyce said:
And if there"s a spot in a human"s hubris to be tickled it will be tickled, in the same vein as dropping 45 grand for a Rolex,
Bitches be demanding Rolexes as a prerequisite for marriage now too?! My argument is that the expectation of a diamond ring is an engineered desire derived from a marketing ploy. It doesn"t seem like you are disagreeing with that so I am uncertain why you keep speaking to me.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Gryeyes said:
Bitches be demanding Rolexes as a prerequisite for marriage now too?! My argument is that the expectation of a diamond ring is an engineered desire derived from a marketing ploy. It doesn"t seem like you are disagreeing with that so I am uncertain why you keep speaking to me.
I"m saying it"s not a ploy, I"m saying if it wasn"t a diamond ring it would be a Citrine encrusted graham cracker, or pantaloons made from panda bear hide. No one"s pulling the wool over anyone"s eyes, their just tapping on a human trait, it was already there before anyone started trying to make money off of it, it"s no one"s fault but the individuals themselves.