Girls who broke your heart thread

Kilivek_foh

shitlord
If you"re studying to be a clinical psychologist, I can give you some advice and literature to read that will help you. Because your profession, especially as it is currently, has fallen very much behind with regards to true psychic needs.

The prime indicator of mental health isnotadjustment and relationships with others in this particular society. There are objectively valid indicators of mental health, assuming you believe there are universal psychic human needs, much like biological.

Social relationships in this particular society or consensual validation on the meaning of "normal" as suchhas no bearing on mental health.

I"ll give you some real psychology to study.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Kilivek said:
If you"re studying to be a clinical psychologist, I can give you some advice and literature to read that will help you. Because your profession, especially as it is currently, has fallen very much behind with regards to true psychic needs.

The prime indicator of mental health isnotadjustment and relationships with others in this particular society. There are objectively valid indicators of mental health, assuming you believe there are universal psychic human needs, much like biological.

Social relationships in this particular society or consensual validation on the meaning of "normal" as suchhas no bearing on mental health.

^ 14 year old trolling.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Kilivek said:

lololol

Ok you"re one ofthosepeople. I get it now. I am curious what this "literature" is. Morbid curiosity. I"m also interested in these "objectively valid indicators of mental health." Can you summarize briefly? I could use a good laugh, then you can go on pretending you aren"t a massive retard who claims to know more than an entire profession because he read a counterculture book.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Dabamf said:
lololol

Ok you"re one ofthosepeople. I get it now. I am curious what this "literature" is. Morbid curiosity. I"m also interested in these "objectively valid indicators of mental health." Can you summarize briefly? I could use a good laugh, then you can go on pretending you aren"t a massive retard who claims to know more than an entire profession because he read a counterculture book.
You"re just not objective enough to understand it bro.

Etwynn_foh

shitlord
Dabamf said:
lololol

everything you"ve learned is based on studies that were designed to reinforce preexisting theory. The only objective pathological psychology literature comes from studies done by objective pathological psychologists. I suggest you educate yourself.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
First, sorry for the long post.

It seems to me that Killivek is read up on most of the current literature regarding the history of psychology and the concept of "disorder." I think y"all are being way too harsh because you assume he is taking all of his stuff from pop psychology or whatever.

Killivek is basically summarizing the critiques of culture, psychology, discipline, and "the normal" that have been going on since at least the 1970s. If you haven"t read about Bourdieu"s theory of practice (habitus), Foucault"s concepts about discipline and punish and the asylum, or Fanon"s thoughts on racial/social neuroses, I can see why you would be confused.

Everything Killivek has said thus far is backed up by half a century of social science. He is not just telling you an opinion he randomly thought up one day. That said, I think he is a bit too harsh in calling people robots. I suspect either he hasn"t read Bakhtin, or did and disagreed.

Basically, Bakhtin argued that our life is a novel and we all author ourselves. The world we are born into has a structure to it, and we learn to organize and understand our lives according to the structures that are given to us. However, this does not mean people are mindless drones, because they often play around with the structures and create new genres.

BUT, if you think reading a self help book is teaching you something REAL about the world and human nature, then Killivek"s criticism is meant for you, and deserved.

That article about the mice was good and bad. It"s good because it suggests the multi-generational effects of violence, and bad because it relies on an antiquated model of evolution and biology, the whole concept of winners and losers. Let me put it this way, most of the babies of every mammal species on earth are being taken care of by a father (if one is present) that is biologically not their own. This fact alone flips who the winner is, and the loser. Females, however, appear to always win. But what is winning, anyway? In evolution, you win if you pass on your genes. But the paradox of evolution is that none of the organisms going through it are even aware they are participating in an evolutionary process. How can you be a winner or a loser if you don"t even know that a game exists, and that you are playing?

To see the world, and everything about it, in terms of winning and losing, has more to do about your cultural beliefs about how the world works than it does about how the world actually might work. Humans have taken their knowledge of evolution, turned it into a game, and now a bunch of different people want to write rule books to teach others how to construct themselves as winners and not losers.

This whole "nice guys finish last" seems to be advice originally meant for cut throat capitalists, and then oddly conflated into the realm of personal relationships and building lasting commitments. Speaking of conflation, the author of that article conflates dependency with "being bad." His relationship advice is to not give the partner what he or she is looking for right away in order to keep them coming back for more (this we call stringing him or her along), and for what? In order to delay discovering the reality that maybe the two of you shouldn"t be together? Relationships are never universal, they are always contingent, and any universalizing attempt to make a "how to" guide will fall flat on its face. There are several overarching rules that everyone should follow though: don"t abuse your partner, don"t abuse yourself, don"t let either of you be abused. Maybe nice people are more likely to be victimized because they are so open and honest... is the solution to construct a world of liars and thieves?

That is what Killivek means when he mentions the pathology of normalcy, that you are constructing a self (authoring yourself as it were) in a way which is not authentic, due to the fact that you turn yourself into a commodity in constant need of repair (jumping from broken relationship to broken relationship), hoping to reel in a buyer. In this hope to be purchased, you must constantly monitor everything about yourself in order to be a more competitive commodity in the marketplace of relationships. Self reflection is a great thing, and everyone should do it, but when you are obsessing about yourself, every day all day, this is a disorder, a neurosis. He is saying that the new normal of relationships is a neurotic self obsession with finding the perfect relationship.

I agree with the words I"ve put in his mouth to some extent. I"ve seen quite a few people actually create some really nice relationships working with the rubric above. They are all young however, and I do wonder how long they"ll last, but I don"t have the right to judge.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I hate when Kilivek posts in this thread. The discussion always degrades into this sad sap psychology bullshit.

Rune_foh

shitlord
Dabamf said:
You"re a lunatic.

You can"t use big words with absolutely 0 understanding of their meaning. One of theprime measures of mental healthis the ability to interact well with others and have relationships with other people. Another (higher-level) goal and indicator of mental health is positive interaction with, and contribution to, one"s community.

"Objective pathologically forms of insanity" - What the motherfuck does that even mean? You made that up. Before you make any other shit up, I"ll go ahead and warn you that I"m going to call you out on absolutely every single uneducated absurd statement you make. I"m studying to be a clinical psychologist.

Do you know what the empirically-backed therapy for social ineptitude or social anxiety is, that any clinician worth his salt would incorporate? Teaching principles of social interaction and roleplaying scenarios. Essentially practice. Precisely that mechanic robot neurosis objective insanity or whateverthefuck you said.

You sound like one of those people that takes pride in having minimal interaction with society and "being your own person." Lot"s of people are like that. I used to be. It"s an ego preservation mechanism when you don"t know how to interaction with people, so you act like they are everything that"s wrong with the world and if only the world was populated by people like you, things would be better.

Incidentally those people are also fucking MISERABLE to be around, further reinforcing their social withdraw.
lol rampant projection like a motherfucker up in this bitch

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Hate to combo break the philosophical circle jerk, but I"ve got a semi amusing story. For me anyways. Went out with a group of friends last week for a birthday party. The birthday girl had a friend that had recently broken up with her boyfriend, and she wanted to set me up with her. All went swimmingly, except I accidentally got pretty loaded. I had intended on taking it fairly easy, but shit happens.

Long story short, she wouldn"t let me put it in but she did valiantly go to town on me for a good 20 minutes before I told her it was okay to stop. It wasn"t that I wasn"t enjoying things, it was that I nodded off at least twice during it and thought that likely to get my wang bitten off. And I couldn"t remember her name again (I had already called her the wrong name several times earlier in the night). When I drink my brain loses any ability to absorb new information or form memories, it"s kind of amusing for my friends but fairly inconvenient for me.

So we wake up in the morning and go grab some brunch with the couple that introduced us, as we"d crashed at their place. After we get back to their place I start to say my goodbyes:

"Hey, we should hang out again. What"s your number?"

"It"s xxx-xxxx."

"Okay awesome, I"ll talk to you soon."

"Do you remember my name for the contact?"

She was kidding around, and I did indeed remember. Anyway, last night my bud whose girlfriend was the one that set us up texts me asking if I"m going to see her again, she told his girlfriend she "liked" me, I should take her out etc.

I have no idea how I made a good impression by getting her name wrong and repeatedly forgetting our conversation from 5 minutes previous, but apparently it worked.

Seemed like a pretty cool chick. 24, nearly 25, finishing her masters in psychology and uh... that"s about all I can remember.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Eomer said:
Hate to combo break the philosophical circle jerk, but I"ve got a semi amusing story. For me anyways. Went out with a group of friends last week for a birthday party. The birthday girl had a friend that had recently broken up with her boyfriend, and she wanted to set me up with her. All went swimmingly, except I accidentally got pretty loaded. I had intended on taking it fairly easy, but shit happens.

Long story short, she wouldn"t let me put it in but she did valiantly go to town on me for a good 20 minutes before I told her it was okay to stop. It wasn"t that I wasn"t enjoying things, it was that I nodded off at least twice during it and thought that likely to get my wang bitten off. And I couldn"t remember her name again (I had already called her the wrong name several times earlier in the night). When I drink my brain loses any ability to absorb new information or form memories, it"s kind of amusing for my friends but fairly inconvenient for me.

So we wake up in the morning and go grab some brunch with the couple that introduced us, as we"d crashed at their place. After we get back to their place I start to say my goodbyes:

"Hey, we should hang out again. What"s your number?"

"It"s xxx-xxxx."

"Okay awesome, I"ll talk to you soon."

"Do you remember my name for the contact?"

She was kidding around, and I did indeed remember. Anyway, last night my bud whose girlfriend was the one that set us up texts me asking if I"m going to see her again, she told his girlfriend she "liked" me, I should take her out etc.

I have no idea how I made a good impression by getting her name wrong and repeatedly forgetting our conversation from 5 minutes previous, but apparently it worked.

Seemed like a pretty cool chick. 24, nearly 25, finishing her masters in psychology and uh... that"s about all I can remember.
Bro, she sucked your dick for 20 minutes without you nutting. Of course she "likes" you.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
The Ancient said:
Sounds like she has real potential. Time to get overly-aggressive and fuck it up!
Thatis not the risk here methinks. Next Eomer-post will be the story of how he met the girl for coffees next weekend, he gives off friend-vibes and she ends up using him as an emotional sponge to get over her recent breakup.

(Eomer; no offense. But I do the same thing. When I read your posts I think "yeah, I would do that. I would chat away for hours without going for a kiss". So I"m kind of projecting what the next chapter would be if it was me)

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Daelos said:
Thatis not the risk here methinks. Next Eomer-post will be the story of how he met the girl for coffees next weekend, he gives off friend-vibes and she ends up using him as an emotional sponge to get over her recent breakup.

(Eomer; no offense. But I do the same thing. When I read your posts I think "yeah, I would do that. I would chat away for hours without going for a kiss". So I"m kind of projecting what the next chapter would be if it was me)
I"ve been quick to give big E some shit before, but this time he made a nice, swift move and closed immediately. I think he deserves some credit.

I"m interested to see how a drunken hook-up transitions into a potential relationship though. Should be fun for Eomer if it goes well, or fun for the forum if it fails spectacularly and he shares...

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Haast said:
I"ve been quick to give big E some shit before, but this time he made a nice, swift move and closed immediately. I think he deserves some credit.
Yes. Without doubt.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
It"s funny because you say that you don"t know how forgetting her name and previous conversations worked out in this way. It was probably those very things that made it work out this way.