Gnomoria - Like Dwarf Fortress

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
"Gnomoria is a sandbox village management game where you help lead a small group of gnomes, who have set out on their own, to thrive into a bustling kingdom! Anything you see can be broken down and rebuilt elsewhere. Craft items, build structures, set traps and dig deep underground in search of precious resources to help your gnomes survive the harsh lands. Build your kingdom and stockpile wealth to attract wandering gnomads to your cause, but be wary of also attracting enemies!"

I am still horrible at this game. I'd love to see what some of you guys are doing for your builds.

spylord2.jpg

gnomoria.jpg
fsovercash.png

http://gnomoria.com/

http://www.desura.com/games/gnomoria- Only available on Desura right now.

Hathe

I set planks to be built on repeat, didn't think the builder would never stop making them and die from starvation then have another gnome continue the work on top of his corpse

Rime

<Donor>
I set planks to be built on repeat, didn't think the builder would never stop making them and die from starvation then have another gnome continue the work on top of his corpse
Ha. Yeah, you have to super micro-manage in games like this. If you give an order to your gnomes (or townies, in the case of Towns), they will merrily starve to death while carrying out your commands. One of the biggest complaints that I have with this current generation of city-survival games is the lack of self preservation that all of the minions have.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In older iterations of the game I had certain things on repeat build and never had a problem with starvation. Although realistically on stuff like planks you should be building to X instead of repeat building anyway.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Shit man, even the dwarves in DF take care of themselves (if there is a means to do so).

Caliane

yeah. I've been mentioning this in the indie game thread.

Really like it. It's still getting updated regularly. I would still call it alpha though. so anyone expecting a nearly whole game, not yet. There are still giant holes in the gameplay.

Never had that specific problem with starving. Generally only have starving if, trapped in an inaccessible area, the old stairway stuck bug, or wounded. It a new bug?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played it for a few months so it has probably changed a lot, but I never had any problem with them starving either, unless they were wounded and would try to drag themselves somewhere, get halfway there, decide they were hungry, then try to crawl back, then eventually pass out, wake up and try to go back to work, etc. But no one ever sat and worked to death. Must be a new bug, which hopefully will get fixed soon.

Overall I love the game, because it is close enough to Dwarf Fortress but visually good enough for me to understand wtf is going on. It may never reach the complexity of DF, but it is good enough. I probably won't play it much more until he has a fairly solid release though, because it is like Minecraft for me, I get burnt out on it after awhile and don't want to play, and miss out on cool new updates.

Hathe

yeah. I've been mentioning this in the indie game thread.
Yes, thank you for doing so. That's what got me back into this game.

It is probably a bug, as I was day 5 or 6 spring (super early). But I found it hilarious that soandso starved to death and the other woodcutter took his position on his corpse. Perhaps he had low self-preservation skill, haha. I'd love to see some guides or builds of what you guys have come up with. Every time I play I come up with a more efficient way of going about something.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had a decent setup where starting somewhere around year 3 I had built up a guard tower above my front gate to house most of my soldiers. Had a hospital, and the remaining floors alternated between training grounds and squad dormitories. Most of the tower was built in midair, so I had to build a support scaffolding around the side, and then once the tower was finished I did a similar thing to build a mostly floating great gnomorian temple built almost entirely out of Lapis. No screenshots though, sadly.

Hathe

I keep having an issue building tables. I have enough sticks but they wont build. I get 6 or 8 sticks and suddenly the woodcutter will start building them. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I keep having an issue building tables. I have enough sticks but they wont build. I get 6 or 8 sticks and suddenly the woodcutter will start building them. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
I can't say exactly because it has been many builds ago since I last played, but I used to have an issue where I'd have tasked a ton of trees to be cut down and/or saplings gathered, and the only people who could do that were also the only people that could make wooden furniture. So they wouldn't touch the furniture until all the trees were cut down. You might need to adjust some jobs on a couple of gnomes so they aren't busy doing other shit that you do all the time (cut trees, mine, plant, etc.)

If that isn't it, I've got nothing.

Caliane

yeah. If you haven't played in a while. Crafting had a major overhaul recently. Its way more complicated then it was previously.

Swords need a blade and a haft for example to combine into a sword. instead of simply building a sword.

Hathe, probably a priority issue. A woodcutter has alot of things to do.
Carpentry, eating/sleeping, cutting down trees, taking cuttings, planting trees. You probably want 4 woodcutters asap. And even go as far as making a custom job. make 2 actual foresters, only doing the tree jobs. and 2 then doing the carpentry. cutting planks is nearly a full time job.
Set your carpentry workshops to priority 1.

Check your order of importance too. and scheduling.
If you have your carpenter set up to, build up to 10 torch, build up to 4 chairs, build up to 2 sticks. you may never get past the torches if you keep placing them.
(I think this would stop, because it get stuck on the torches/chairs, needing sticks.)

If you have it set to build up to 8 sticks first, then there you go. they are building your 8 sticks, before moving onto the next task.

Ran out of a material. you might have had it set to applewood only or something.

Caliane

The False Trouble Kingdom has fallen.
haha. Early game is so much harder now,without exploiting.

Crafting is so much more involved. population is really tight. If you have soldiers training, you will be low on foresters, etc. And under geared for metalworking. Goblins will scale faster then you.

Hathe

Still having a difficult time either crafting things or making buildings. I checked to make sure I am not asking specific things such as "applewood chair". I am definitely using "any". Posted example below, Jas and Windle are my 2 builders. Anything I am missing?

Caliane

huh. yeah. If you have the things ready to go, and builders. Placing thing is very high on the priority list. it should get done quickly.

Pathing would be the next question. sure there is no broken stair, or removed floor or something?

Hathe

I have tried placing the structure inside, outside, etc. basically in many areas. I don't dig down because of the bug of getting stuck.

Still having a difficult time either crafting things or making buildings. I checked to make sure I am not asking specific things such as "applewood chair". I am definitely using "any". Posted example below, Jas and Windle are my 2 builders. Anything I am missing?
Make sure you have 3 of the same type of table. You cant build things with mix and match material types. Your "any table(3)" is probably 2 stone and 1 wood or something.

Hathe

Yep, that fixed it.

What about planks? Can I have 2 pine planks and 2 birch planks and still make a table?

Yep, that fixed it.

What about planks? Can I have 2 pine planks and 2 birch planks and still make a table?
I am pretty sure the rule applies to all things built, aside from Walls and Floors. So no, It won't build a table in that scenario.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
It's getting harder and harder not to play this. I've been trying to wait until a full build comes out because I don't usually replay games once I shelf them. I read the patch notes on the crafting overhaul and it's quite appealing.

How annoyingly bugged is the current build? What are the top/worst bugs atm?