Gnomoria - Like Dwarf Fortress

Caliane

Honestly, I have not seen a bug personally in some time.

The game is MUCH harder now.

Mants will wreck you. Even goblins/skels are tough to deal with in year 1. The new crafting slowed early game down quite a bit. you are very undermanned. you can't really afford to get soldiers training early enough. But building a tailor for bandages, soldiers training, building torches, distillery, etc. takes manpower.
Older forts are fine. And you can still exploit a bit, but walling off, or building floating farms.

Atlus_sl

shitlord
Can you get new Gnomads when "blocking off" your kingdom?
They will arrive at the border still but will wander around until you open up an entrance for them. IF you leave them too long they will most likely get killed by goblins or whatever enemy you are facing.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
It's getting harder and harder not to play this. I've been trying to wait until a full build comes out because I don't usually replay games once I shelf them. I read the patch notes on the crafting overhaul and it's quite appealing.

How annoyingly bugged is the current build? What are the top/worst bugs atm?
I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface of this game but have seen no bugs yet except for one gnome getting caught on some stairs going down. Other than that it has been a really enjoyable time.

Question for the more experienced players. What speed do you normally play on?

Caliane

Lost another kingdom in fall year 1. haha.

Third one is going much stronger now. got lucky with Tin on level 12. Changed my build order focus a bit, and have torches up and running. Man power is still wicked low. miners are miners/blacksmiths.
only 1 soldier atm.. day 1 fall. open the gates for gnomads. half my base runs out immediately, directly into goblins. get 2 gnomads, lose 3 idiots, including 1 soldier.

things to do when starting. Make several new jobs.
1. soldier. no tasks. its much easier to keep track doing this.
2. Doc. doc/haul/weaver/tailor. This will let the doc make bandages when hes not healing. Good for the down time. hauling for when even that isn't needed.
3. Jeweler/blacksmith. Jeweler is not a full time job. Blacksmithing can be.. but having this guy do both should be fine.
4. Ranchhand. Ranching also isn't a full time job. I give them ranch, woodcutting(not carpentry), farming(but not brewing/cooking), hauling. most of the outside not crafting jobs. You will find, farms, and groves take up ALOT of manpower. Groves especially with foraging, clipping, cutting, and planting. Which is split between woodcutting and farming, already. Of note, since those are such big jobs, you might find the ranchhand will do them, and NOT the ranching as needed. if you have a yak, or whatever wandering that needs to be penned, just swap back to rancher for a bit, till thats done, then back to ranchhand.
5. Brewer/cook. its a full time job. Especially if you are making sandwiches.

You won't actually use most of these day one of course. Ranchhand is. the blacksmith/jewel summer or fallish. same with soldier if you can. Doc year 2. have bandages by summer. but you dont need a dedicated hospital yet.

Early game build order. lost two kingdoms trying to start anew in 0.8.30.
So, I'm not really even sure... But, some mistakes I made. trying to get more gnomes asap, by building a great hall. More gnomes... but more goblins and skels as well. And without a military, it was death.
beds. Wasted time trying to get beds in year 1. Blacksmith is more important. Tailor for bandages, way more.

Very first thing to do. get that pasture for your yaks up. The faster you do this, the faster they will breed, and give you a third yak you can slaughter for bone, to make a bone needle for that tailor.

Get a wall up by summer.

Play on fast. pausing to assign things. or move around the world, etc. making plans, etc.

And yeah, I have had entire waves of gnomads slaughtered the instant they arrived by mant armies.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Is there underground and "over"ground farming like in DF? Can't you just dig yourself into a mountain side and farm/cook/train soldiers for a while? Or do you need to be outside to sustain yourself?

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think there is a bug where strawberries can be grown underground -- however that is an exploit, so use at your own discretion. There are plans for underground farming; they just aren't in yet.

If it helps, here is a farming journal I made up a few months ago (I'm not sure if I ever verified it, but it seems fairly close to my experiences):
8 births per animal a year; 12 meat per yak; 96 meat per mother/yr; 6 tiles per yak, +6 tiles for bull.
768 solar hours a year; 16 wheat harvests a year; 20 apple harvests a year.
Base sandwich and wine worth: 50. Worth lost/Day: 33; Yearly loss: 1,600 worth (32 sandwiches/wines per gnome.)

10x10 (100 tile) wheat farm | 10x10+2 (102 tile; 16+1) yak pasture | 10x10 (100 tile) apple orchard.
Will sustain 50 gnomes, produce a little excess for merchant, and will divide work between three jobs to not overburden one group.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
From a couple videos I watched it looks like people build their shit (workshops etc...) above ground and surround them with walls. More like a town or village and less like an underground fortress. Can you build roofs and multi level towers? Do enemies destroy walls?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Can you build roofs and multi level towers? Do enemies destroy walls?
Yes to the first, no to the second.

The way you build multi level towers is as follows:

1) Build the interior and exterior walls of your tower out of whatever material you choose

2) Build a ramp or stairs on the outside of your tower

3) Build a floor to serve as the ceiling of the first level. You can build 'floor' in midair as long as you can access that tile.

4) To build multilayer towers, you'll either need it to be stepped, an external stair that you can deconstruct as you build, or you'll need to build upwards from the inside. I don't think its possible to close off the top of your tower if you're building up from the inside unless you make the top level smaller, like the stairwell access of a contemporary building.

Enemies don't destroy walls as far as I know. Haven't gotten past year 3 though so I don't know what lies ahead. They can bust down doors though.

Caliane

yeah. currently, no enemies can break down walls. They can break down doors. You can build ranged weapons. currently no enemies use ranged weapons.

Simply, walling in, does work to keep you safe, above ground. however, this blocks merchants and gnomads as well.

Underground is a bit different. Golems, zombies, and skels, can spawn in any shadowed wall or ground tile under level 5. These can only spawn within 10 of a gnome or something though. Tend to be a danger to miners, and the like. Building torches can prevent these from spawning at all.
Spider and beetle spawns, I am not sure on.

A perfectly safe town/fortress. wall up outside, light every square underground. wall off any caves.

No collapsing yet. so you can kindof cheat and build floating castles.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't played in months, but I had a similar issue. I figured it out eventually, and I'm trying to remember what the problem was. Are those red squares where you are trying to place walls, and it is saying it can't? Also, is your gnome stuck there?

If that is the case, see if you can't have him build "ramp down" from there. Stairs seem to get fairly bugged at times, but ramps are typically pretty reliable. Ramp up gets fucked occasionally too (or did), so you often have to destroy and try again.

If none of that works, I'll load it up and see what I can figure out myself. Game is probably totally different now though.

EDIT: Funny thing is, I sort of want to play this more than SimCity now
frown.png

Alexzander

I hope they put this up on Steam soon. This seems like it will feed my sandbox addiction for quite a while.

Why not just buy directly from the dude? Don't need to install any service.

Side note - I just tried the boxed in method up till year 4. Would not recommend this as there is absolutely no way to ever step outside your kingdom again. The whole map pretty much fills with mants, ogres, and goblins as well ass all their corpses from dying fighting each other. This screws with your "craft to" count when making weapons and armor as all the shit lying on the ground outside counts towards your item stock.

Valos

I hope they put this up on Steam soon. This seems like it will feed my sandbox addiction for quite a while.
Its been greenlit. Just a matter of time before it hits steam. I've already purchased it, but Im hoping it hits steam soon so I can keep it updated easier.

Caliane

I haven't played in months, but I had a similar issue. I figured it out eventually, and I'm trying to remember what the problem was. Are those red squares where you are trying to place walls, and it is saying it can't? Also, is your gnome stuck there?

If that is the case, see if you can't have him build "ramp down" from there. Stairs seem to get fairly bugged at times, but ramps are typically pretty reliable. Ramp up gets fucked occasionally too (or did), so you often have to destroy and try again.

If none of that works, I'll load it up and see what I can figure out myself. Game is probably totally different now though.

EDIT: Funny thing is, I sort of want to play this more than SimCity now
frown.png
the red squares on his screenshot is a patrol route for his scout.

Building up. you can see the staircase on the inside there.
Build terrain> build stairs up.
Build terrain> build floor off the stairs.
Build terrain> build starts up. placed on the floor.
"ceilings" are just floors. You can then make pitched ceilings with ramps/inclines.

rrr_img_16848.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Working on building outdoors now, but I'm stumped on how to build up higher than 1 tier. I tried making a ramp to a wall to reach the second tier / roof. Idea is something like this.
vamktIW.png

This is the ugliest but simplest way to do it, it's very tedious to dismantle the external stairs so I just left them up.