God of War (2018)

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
The combat videos coming out make me question the direction they are taking, it's so unbelievably generic. Everything looks great but mechanically the combat looks like they took bits of Last of Us and Dark Souls combat and just mashed them together.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The combat videos coming out make me question the direction they are taking, it's so unbelievably generic. Everything looks great but mechanically the combat looks like they took bits of Last of Us and Dark Souls combat and just mashed them together.

Can’t tell if serious

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can’t tell if serious

There's leaked general combat videos out there and the combat is very generic looking. I'm not talking about "cinematic" combat moments with bosses/mini bosses which I fully expect to be well done, but the general pace of combat is way way slower then any other GoW.

Edit: Found an upload of it, will see how long it stays up.

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah, to my recollection it was pretty easy to kill the mobs in the first few games but the boss fights were way more involved. Not unhappy if this is the way they are going as there appears to be more opportunities for combo type moves and finishers with some cinematic elements.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
GoW was a borderline button mash brawler.

This looks lightyears ahead.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

GoW basically invented the "basic combat is just huge button smashing killing waves and waves of baddies- sometimes you get a few elites or specific types that make you - use skills- then a boss that's a fighting puzzle" type game

He just does not have his chain-blades and will be sweeping through hordes or little baddies- take that as you will... but I loved the sword part of GoW 1

• 1Picard

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, it seems the entire game is a pretty huge departure from the prior games. as far as i'm concerned i'm cool with that. i LOVED the other games but they started to drone on. kratos was a great vehicle for teenage masculinity, but the character got pretty dull pretty quick. what's that? kratos is yelling again about something? of course he is.

this game seems to temper all that anger and rage into fatherhood... passing on a legacy. he's still angry and all that (still has spartan rage ability) but it's much more focused. he's got the bruce banner "i'm always angry" thing going on, which i think makes the character much more mature. then you have the combat. it SEEMS (from what i've seen) like it's a lot less frenetic and chaotic. sure there's still plenty going on, it's not SLOW... but things seem less button mashy and a bit more tactical. i don't know if the designers did that on purpose or if they just took inspiration from dark souls and last of us, but either way, it makes sense and i'm cool with it.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
even the original games in the series, there was 2 ways to play, button mash or learn the combos this actually looks more like the 2nd option, even though I bet there will be some mash sections hah

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I couldn't remember if I even beat God of War 3 but could always remember one specific battle in the entire game.

I swear, I love this fight and the dialogue, lol.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I almost never buy games on day 1 any more, but this will be one of them for sure.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Same. I think Rockstar games are the only consistent Day 1 purchase for me. I always look forward to them.

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not seeing the draw yet besides the gratuitous violence, GOW universe and nordic setting. The AI looks slow and boring. The combat does look improved, but less organic and more, I don't know how to put this... locked in? You know in games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls the combat feels much more fluid. Of course I'm probably watching somebody who is horrible at the game and they are probably playing on Kotaku difficulty settings so I'm reserving full judgment until release.

But as far as a GOW game goes it looks improved in every way.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm not seeing the draw yet besides the gratuitous violence, GOW universe and nordic setting. The AI looks slow and boring. The combat does look improved, but less organic and more, I don't know how to put this... locked in? You know in games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls the combat feels much more fluid. Of course I'm probably watching somebody who is horrible at the game and they are probably playing on Kotaku difficulty settings so I'm reserving full judgment until release.

But as far as a GOW game goes it looks improved in every way.
While I can't guarantee that this is the case, I strongly suspect that the combat displayed in the clip above is on an easy difficulty (or developer/test mode). Nobody wants a repeat of the Cuphead coverage.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not seeing the draw yet besides the gratuitous violence, GOW universe and nordic setting.

The fuck else do you want, the game to come with a fleshlight attachment?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For Kratos or the boy?
c26809e3a038ae40c48384056be3891a0adcbf3ea2d13053e5ca83d8deb93798.jpg