God of War (2018)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I need to play this game again, I almost forgot how insanely well crafted the story is

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Somehow the VGS/Video Game Sophistry videos for this started popping up in my YouTube feed and I watched the whole story, first as individual pieces for the characters and and then as as 6 hour movie. What an amazing story. I owned the game for forever but haven't played it every much past the first forest, really at the start; now I want to play it through. So many puzzles. though! It's very obviously a PS exclusive based upon that alone. I do want to experience the story in-game now based upon watching it. If turning down the difficulty would make there be fewer puzzles I would do that in a heartbeat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

The only game I can think of that had a difficulty slider for puzzles is Silent Hill 2. Battle difficulty and puzzle difficulty were separated. I tried to play a bit with puzzles on hard and I don't think I managed to solve a single puzzle as suddenly clues were novel length texts with metaphorical hints. Insane. I should revisit that at some point.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Silent Hill 2 was a slog.

That's how I feel about Resident Evil Zero. What a total slog that game is. Between the obscure puzzles (aka things that give you no clue what to do with them), the tank controls, and the inventory system being atrocious, I always give up on it quickly whenever I take another stab at it.

God of War 2018 on the other hand is something I've had a lot of time to read / watch videos about without actually playing it, which I think will help me appreciate it when I do. It's like in the 90's when I'd learn all about a game's story/world in Nintendo Power before I ever got it or turned it on. Added a hell of a lot once I finally did, that's for sure.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sewer Shark was the most notorious game for me growing up. None of my friends could even come close to beating it, and like most early Sega CD games there was no save option. After you get to the final section of the game you can be 1 shotted by maintenance drones, or lose power and die if you dont take correct junction (split second choice, 50/50 shot of getting it wrong and game over). All in all the game only takes about 4 hours to beat, but holy fuck was it difficult.

A funny true story, after failing over and over and shelving the game numerous times, when I had finally beat it and got to the ending, the fucking game FROZE during the ending FMV. I stood in front of my TV stunned, bewildered even. I was so fucking upset.....instead of shutting it off, I waited like 30 minutes hoping it would like buffer and catch up and finish.....but it didnt. SO, I hit eject, and the cd came out. I fucking wiped the CD very thoroughly with the inside of my shirt (meanwhile the TV screen was still showing the video screen shot of where it froze) and then PUT IT BACK IN.

After like 20 seconds.....IT RESUMED!!!!

It was one of the most satisfying moments in my entire gaming career as a kid. I never fucking touched that pos game again, but holy shit was that awesome. From that day on I knew there were gaming gods.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there a video that recaps the story prior to the start of GOW 2018? I played most of the original games a long time ago, but probably finished none of them.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This was was a bad god of war game. There was like 2 or 3 notable boss fights. The rest were just humanoids and a recycling of Balder.

• 2Moron
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 6 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Sewer Shark was the most notorious game for me growing up. None of my friends could even come close to beating it, and like most early Sega CD games there was no save option. After you get to the final section of the game you can be 1 shotted by maintenance drones, or lose power and die if you dont take correct junction (split second choice, 50/50 shot of getting it wrong and game over). All in all the game only takes about 4 hours to beat, but holy fuck was it difficult.

A funny true story, after failing over and over and shelving the game numerous times, when I had finally beat it and got to the ending, the fucking game FROZE during the ending FMV. I stood in front of my TV stunned, bewildered even. I was so fucking upset.....instead of shutting it off, I waited like 30 minutes hoping it would like buffer and catch up and finish.....but it didnt. SO, I hit eject, and the cd came out. I fucking wiped the CD very thoroughly with the inside of my shirt (meanwhile the TV screen was still showing the video screen shot of where it froze) and then PUT IT BACK IN.

It was one of the most satisfying moments in my entire gaming career as a kid. I never fucking touched that pos game again, but holy shit was that awesome. From that day on I knew there were gaming gods.

I got the Sega CD as a kid during Christmas. Apparently the first batch had a really high failure rate, I was excited to get into Luna but nope, had to wait a month for restock lol.

I had the FMV car game as well, man those had 0 replayability. Glad I missed out on Sewer Shark!

ronne's God of War video reminded me I need to replay it now that I have a PS5

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This was was a bad god of war game. There was like 2 or 3 notable boss fights. The rest were just humanoids and a recycling of Balder.

Was disappointed in the lack of variety with bosses and how few "gods" you actually fight compared to 10 different trolls which was a let down compared to gow 2 & 3.

Game still fucks, though

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

It may have been a bad GoW game because it did not keep the frenetic pace of the rest of the series but that was due to the shift from Kratos being a hate filled god killer to a reclusive father. I thought this was the best game in the series because of the story and the acting from Kratos and Atreus; I was one of the people that would sit in the boat until they finished the dialogue before exiting to the next area.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

For me it was Elemental Gearbolt on the PS1. Not because of any technical difficulties, but because the game is SO DIFFICULT. I don't even think I was ever able to get very far in it despite numerous tries. It's sort of like Panzer Dragoon except I think it's on-rails (so all you do is aim).

Too bad it's so monumentally difficult because the soundtrack is tremendous and it has a certain mood to it that few games can achieve.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It may have been a bad GoW game because it did not keep the frenetic pace of the rest of the series but that was due to the shift from Kratos being a hate filled god killer to a reclusive father. I thought this was the best game in the series because of the story and the acting from Kratos and Atreus; I was one of the people that would sit in the boat until they finished the dialogue before exiting to the next area.

I'm not even a dad and I really liked the shift from rage fueled killing machine to a father trying to do his best for his boy. Not that it stopped him from murdering anything that got in the way of that goal.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is this game just hard as fuck or something? Playing on only the second hardest difficulty, and the second fight with a revenant and a bunch of other shit (just before you get to the first upgrade NPC) was fucking brutal.

• 1Picard

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Is this game just hard as fuck or something? Playing on only the second hardest difficulty, and the second fight with a revenant and a bunch of other shit (just before you get to the first upgrade NPC) was fucking brutal.
Yeah It can be challenging at times but if you think it's hard now wait until you start fighting the Valkyries.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah it was rough, gets easier as you get some new abilities.

• 1Picard

spronk

FPS noob
God of War being released for PC, dunno if this was new or not. 1/14/22

steam page

"God of War PC includes 4K, Nvidia DLSS and Reflex support, controls customization, ultra-wide support"

its also on epic games store

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
FUCK YES!

I will buy it again just to play it since everything else seems to be dogshit lately

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users