God of War (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Got it thanks to BF. Played the first hour or so and decided to go with the second hardest difficulty despite usually being shit at these games. I died 8 times to the first fight thanks to the claustrophobic camera angle and not knowing about blocking for the first few... Fuck lowering it though.

Is there any recommended settings to help alleviate the camera stuff? I'm finding it hard to keep several enemies in view at once as the camera is constantly adjusting which on top of Kratos' giant-ass is making it hard to see.

Hyped that Christopher Judge is doing the voice work, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Bear McCreary did the music

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Got it thanks to BF. Played the first hour or so and decided to go with the second hardest difficulty despite usually being shit at these games. I died 8 times to the first fight thanks to the claustrophobic camera angle and not knowing about blocking for the first few... Fuck lowering it though.

Is there any recommended settings to help alleviate the camera stuff? I'm finding it hard to keep several enemies in view at once as the camera is constantly adjusting which on top of Kratos' giant-ass is making it hard to see.

Hyped that Christopher Judge is doing the voice work, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Bear McCreary did the music
Watch the white/red arrows around Kratos. Lets you know where attacks are coming from. Atreus or other companions down the line will also yell things like "behind you" and "fire incoming" to give you a heads up as well. Stick with it. The first few hours are the hardest until post-game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Cross post from Bubbles Bubbles in the FSR:

1542742638033.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Played this pretty much all weekend, the game is fantastic. Absolutely love the combat, the gear upgrading, the Norse setting, and the father/son dynamic. Pretty much everything.

I think I played god of war 3 and didn’t much like it, the diablo loot system was truly awful.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Played this pretty much all weekend, the game is fantastic. Absolutely love the combat, the gear upgrading, the Norse setting, and the father/son dynamic. Pretty much everything.

I think I played god of war 3 and didn’t much like it, the diablo loot system was truly awful.
God of War 3 had a diablo loot system? Or even a loot system?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not sure if it's the camera, or like @Dom I'm just bad at these games, but I'm struggling hard. I'm pretty sure it's my lack of knowing all the combat abilities, and I know I'm not parrying or blocking really at all. I just try and dodge everything, and I don't think it's working out too well. Fights are hard as hell for me.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah you gotta get used to blocking and doing the parries, but some of the early equippable light/heavy skills can help a lot. There's one that does an AE stun/damage that works on basically everything in the game, and it's on a relatively short cooldown. Forget the actual name, but it was an ability for the Leviathan Axe that I was never able to really replace, and I think it's the one you just get through the story for the purpose of showing you the equippable skills.

I have a friend who just ran through GOW3 and was like "Oh yeah this is going to be easy" and picked up GOW. He died like four times on the first troll before he paid attention to what the game was actually telling him, hah. He's not 100% one of those guys who skips dialogue, but he also doesn't really pay attention to the in-game tips/help when you unlock new abilities.

Omayga

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sure its the Light Runic Hels Touch

I ran with it all game, really nice ability and pretty short cooldown

• 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah you gotta get used to blocking and doing the parries, but some of the early equippable light/heavy skills can help a lot. There's one that does an AE stun/damage that works on basically everything in the game, and it's on a relatively short cooldown. Forget the actual name, but it was an ability for the Leviathan Axe that I was never able to really replace, and I think it's the one you just get through the story for the purpose of showing you the equippable skills.

I have a friend who just ran through GOW3 and was like "Oh yeah this is going to be easy" and picked up GOW. He died like four times on the first troll before he paid attention to what the game was actually telling him, hah. He's not 100% one of those guys who skips dialogue, but he also doesn't really pay attention to the in-game tips/help when you unlock new abilities.

i was recently watching some playthroughs on youtube, and i never noticed it, but the game force stops to tell you beginner information (press such and such to aim the axe) and doesn't let you do anything until you acknowledge that "tip" but then for other more important game mechanics, it just puts a subtle little line of text on the bottom right of the screen (press such and such to summon your axe).

that's the exact reason why some people never actually figured out that there's a button that will instantly turn kratos around. i love the game, but this is probably why your friend died repeatedly. it subconsciously tells the player that if something is important to tell you, we will stop the game and let you know. but all the really helpful stuff DOESN'T stop the game.

Szlia

One of the problems I have with the game is that you have 76576 combat moves and armors and runes and talismans, but you use like 1% of it all. Maybe different players use a different 1%, maybe some players use a larger set of moves and items, maybe harder difficulties require you to (I played in normal and did everything except the tedious collection stuff), but I doubt it. I blocked a lot, parried some, riposted ranged attacks a handful of times, shield bashed a fair bit, dodged a lot, but hardly ever threw the axe and mostly used basic combos, just switching weapons for efficiency (did a lot of stunning followed by fatalities). And I certainly never used the fast turn (even if I knew about it). I guess I played God of Souls, unless I played Souls of War.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think that's a side effect of players generally playing it safe. they do the things that they are comfortable with plus the things that are effective. if you tried a combo and you got hit out of it, you probably didn't try it again.

that being said, i had a great amount of success with most of the moveset.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This guy is insanely good. The amount of seemless combo's he seems to execute is impressive.

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I used quick turn about once the whole game. It simply wasn’t that useful to me, the quick perspective change made it not really save much time by the time I relocated enemies. And there simply aren’t any scenarios where you need to turn that fast, if something is behind you about to attack it’s better to roll forward and then turn normally.

Kinda the same thing with stance changes, never really used any of that. It just wasn’t necessary (on normal anyways).

Now axe throw, I don’t understand not using that. The valkyries even have a move where the only thing you can do to not take damage is throw the axe.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
That was pretty impressive. I loved the game but I was not nearly good enough at it to beat the valkyries. I think I may have gotten one of them down, but that's it.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
That was pretty impressive. I loved the game but I was not nearly good enough at it to beat the valkyries. I think I may have gotten one of them down, but that's it.
It of course took a certain level of skill and reaction speed, but for me the calls were more about learning their attacks and patterns. It took an absurd amount of time for me to grok it well enough to defeat the final Valkyrie. I did it over several play sessions across several days.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Took me several angry fucking hours on a Saturday to beat Sigrun on NG+ GMGOW. Don't know if games are getting harder or if I'm just older with a shitty reaction time. Based on that dude's flawless kills, I'm going with the latter.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user