Godzilla Minus One (2023)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As cool as that was I couldn't help but think that as cool as the trailer looks, it's gonna be the same as the last two. 95% human with the occasional brief Godzilla rampage here and there.
it's funny, i was watching the latest monarch trailer and it has some brief snippets of the actors and writers/directors talking about it and one of them goes "the best part, for me, was telling a human sized story in a godzilla sized world" and i'm like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I saw Shin Godzilla in Tokyo in 2016 and that was great! Unfortunately, I am not in Japan atm, so I will be waiting until Dec. 1 to see this, but from what I have watched and read, this movie is damn good! I Have been a huge fan of Shin Gojira, especially the music score in that movie. The MonsterVerse has been OK but more of just closing your mind and watching the fights and lights.... Hopefully I can get a nice Imax ticket for this... I have loved Godzilla since I was a child, and all my sisters hated it when I wanted to watch Godzilla instead of stupid Wild Hearts Can't be Broken. blah. KRA KRA!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
Just got out of this, probably the best Godzilla movie to date so far.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
This was easily the best Godzilla film I’ve ever seen and the best film of 2023 for my money.

I didn’t think Shin Godzilla could be surpassed, but everything that was good about Shin was even better in Minus One.

how obvious the ending was going to be, it was so well acted I cried. During a fucking Godzilla film

the audience applauded when it was over

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
To further elaborate, Shin Godzilla made G a credibly intimidating threat.

Minus One builds on that by showing the horror affecting the individual rather than society as a whole

also good metaphors for ptsd, loss, rebuilding and hope.

if Godzilla wasn’t even in this, it still would have been a wonderfully acted and directed film

• 2Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
agree with the last few posts. Saw it today and it is pretty fantastic. They manage to avoid making Godzilla just a spectacle and its pretty terrifying most of the time its on screen, especially the second time, which its really nicely spread throughout the film. Great human story as the main storyline as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Just reading this movie had a $15m budget. There is no fucking way that can be possible.

• 2Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just reading this movie had a $15m budget. There is no fucking way that can be possible.
Yeah I saw that as well. They use slave labor to make this? The previews alone would have been 30 Mil. If true and everything was legit, that is incredible all by itself. I have yet to see any negative review for this movie. I had no intention of seeing anymore movies this year but I might have to make an exception.

• 2Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Goddamn, it is so refreshing to see film that has such love and care and detail put into it. This was great. Wonderful character drama, Godzilla is used well and he’s scary, the actors did great, and it’s also a fantastic period piece with classic Japanese character tropes within.

It’s crazy what they did with this budget. Yeah the effects didn’t quite hold up in some scenes, but didn’t take away from the movie at all. Also cool was the plane used at the end was an actual prototype that they made two of a few days before the bombs were dropped. The OG fuselage is at Dulles airport at the air and space museum display there.

Overall, wonderful movie with a wholesome message as well. Sadly I’m sure most folks in the US will think it’s supposed to be the usual flashy monster fight shit. I really hope it does well here, though.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Siliconemelons

I know zero about Godzilla other than he comes up from the sea and is mad, I have never watched any of the films in completion or anything

was thinking this would be a good one to watch, guess it is

• 1Like

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ok... Wait... Is Godzilla in this practical like the old Black and white movies or is he CGI? Because this is phenomenal CGI for a $15 million dollar budget.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Ok... Wait... Is Godzilla in this practical like the old Black and white movies or is he CGI? Because this is phenomenal CGI for a $15 million dollar budget.
Fully CGI.

Just got in from this. What a near masterpiece of cinema. Can't recommend this enough. The whole cast and production crew deserve all the good things for bringing this vision to life.

Excited to see if they will green light another.

Only gripe I had.
The CGI break apart was so terrible during the aftermath scene.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I saw that as well. They use slave labor to make this?

As I understand it, the simple answer to that is "yes". From what I've heard, if you took the complaints US firms have about crunch, time, pay, etc as it pertains to working for studios like Disney and WB, and crank it to about 1000, that's what it is like to work in Japanese effects and animation.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well shit, wish I had friends that were into movies like this. Crazy that they made this on such a small budget

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
image0.jpg

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users