Going to College as an Adult

It's not in your head. And 25% sounds about right. And there is no shame in that! My uncle is an electrician, very skilled. A friend is a carpenter who through word of mouth does custom work.

But I bet if people applied themselves that 25% could turn to 50%. That is where this piss poor attitude comes in. If you want it, you can learn it. Or, let's say 50% can. But we are stuck at shit student "culture" at too many schools. And yeah, in 20 years the losers will complain how "college is a waste of time." It is -- for them.

20 year olds around the world would give anything for a US college education. That is what really pisses me off. The losers are throwing away opportunities that only a few generations in history will have. They could be a biologist when humans first land on Mars, and be the first generation to pore over the data. But no. They have "better" things to do. SMH.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So my oldest son came to visit last month. He's a senior in high school and when I took him over to my college campus he loved it so much (and their music program and building) that he wants to go there next fall. So potentially I could have some college classes with my son...which seems both odd and neat at the same time. I'm just happy he's moving out here to live with me.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone here have knowledge going to law school or know someone who has?

a friend of mine is considering it: he already has a bachelors in education at age 38. What’s the fastest he could possibly obtain a law degree?

TheNozz TheNozz I work full time, attend law-school part-time and graduate this year. The law school I attend has an "AJD" program that graduates (insane) people in two years, so if someone is really in a crazy hurry, they can knock it out fast. I went the opposite route and took 4.5 years to do it, and that worked just fine for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Stayed up till 4:30 am because I left homework for the last second thinking I knew how to solve everything. After a few hours I realized that I was incorrect :D Also latex takes me forever. RIP.

• 1Like
Don't do that wormie. I know I fuckin procrastinate and it never works. What works is somehow -- prayer, sacrifice a chicken, I don't know -- getting on top of it immediately, get it well underway immediately. It is like a reverse stress machine. Some semesters, I was consistently 2-3 weeks ahead of all my deadlines. All research did, all lectures densely outlined on legal pads (which is how I roll), all handouts selected and printed out rtg, etc. It was like floating on a feather. At the end of the semester I didn't feel tired or stressed.

I had one trick when I was a student. Don't take the breaks. Don't go home for Thanksgiving, don't go on Spring Break. It was both 1) cheep and 2) especially Spring Break, I got so far ahead in all my classes I was totally chill the last half of the semester. I already had started all the work and got the basics done. Readings? All done.

It IS a sacrifice. But it is a good trick, and it does work. It's like giving yourself an extra week over everyone else.

I just hate stress. I am always looking for tricks to eliminate it. Some can deal with it better than I can. I like to always have reserves in case shit unexpectedly gets tough, I always have fresh legs, so to speak.

edit: the don't take the breaks trick works as an adult student as well. Just don't consider it "time off." You effective give yourself an extra week over everyone else. It was always my best trick. My friends all came back happier, but by the end of the semester I was still the only one who could easily fit a wake and bake into my day's plans.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Well the problem set looked obvious when I glanced at it which is why I left it for later in order to do harder stuff. It’s all good, sleep is for boomers anyway.

Post an update how it goes! We are coming from the same place here: I get a kick when someone figures out this secret. Everything clicks better. And then you can start doing some real work, because you are on top of it. Excellent. I sometimes use military analogies. It's about being squared away. Ask the kid if Grimsy slacked on being good at making coffee just because all hell was breaking loose in Black Hawk Down. No. No he didn't.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So my oldest son came to visit last month. He's a senior in high school and when I took him over to my college campus he loved it so much (and their music program and building) that he wants to go there next fall. So potentially I could have some college classes with my son...which seems both odd and neat at the same time. I'm just happy he's moving out here to live with me.

There is so much awesome here it is hard to take it all in. Enjoy that, man. Could be such a fantastic bonding time. And maybe you can go to keggers together.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
There is so much awesome here it is hard to take it all in. Enjoy that, man. Could be such a fantastic bonding time. And maybe you can go to keggers together.

One further comment - my oldest two are in college, and I'm reading their course books with them, and we have amazing discussions. It's so good for me to interact with my kids as adults. I really, really look forward to them being fully independent, developed adults. I can't wait to see what the dynamic of our relationship is like then.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, he and I have a lot of great conversations as well, mostly about stuff going on in the world and how he experiences things. It's awesome being able to have those conversations, but I do greatly miss the conversations about who would win in a fight between Patrick Star and Squidward at the same time.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
That face you make when you are taking a math class (QMB) and the professor dings you points on a group discussion paper for "anthropomorphism". As in "Companies use forecast modeling... blah, blah, blah instead of "People is forecast modeling...blah, blah, blah".

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, he and I have a lot of great conversations as well, mostly about stuff going on in the world and how he experiences things. It's awesome being able to have those conversations, but I do greatly miss the conversations about who would win in a fight between Patrick Star and Squidward at the same time.

Fricking Patrick Star every time or you're ridiculous.

• 2Truth!