Going to College as an Adult

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That class is a basic UG class on how to do research. And yeah its basically a stats class but software (R, Stata even Excel) does the heavy lifting for you. The class should basically be "how to do academic research and write an academic paper".

What are you struggling with?
There’s little in the class on “how to do research” and it’s 100% working in SPSS, learning math/statistics terminology, working with correlation and regression , finding p values, multiple regressions…and like, while that may seem easy to some, my mind is not built that way and I struggle with 100% of it.

it’s 100% a math class that just uses HDFS environments to source the data. I’m horrible at math.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Humanities are fine, social sciences are fine it's just they present their conclusions are firmer than they should, closer to hard sciences and believe in their conclusions too much, the reason hard sciences can do this easily is because the laws of the universe don't change, they're highly consistant. however a crowd of people is not highly consistent, sufficiently complex systems are very unpredictable this is notoriously shown by how often we fail to predict the weather correctly.

these two things bring that out

the replication crisis, that over 50% of social science papers cannot be replicated, even by the same scientists conducting the same experiment, should raise an eyebrow vs how they present their findings.

Chomsky's description of intellectual teachers talking about prestige and envy.

Last edited:

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Humanities are fine, social sciences are fine it's just they present themselves as absolutes like hard sciences and believe in their methodology too much

these two things bring that out

the replication crisis, that over 50% of social science papers cannot be replicated, even by the same scientists conducting the same experiment, should raise an eyebrow vs how they present their findings.

Chomsky's description of intellectual teachers talking about prestige and envy.

Depends on which social science I suppose? Maybe psych, criminal justice, anthropology, geography, history or urban planning?

I’m in HDFS/Social Work and absolutely 0% of things are taught without the notion of everything is constantly evolving and new things are found out each day. It’s why research is such a huge part of it after your undergrad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah its pretty much just the concepts of linear regression analysis. The "concepts" aren't that rough but a lot of it depends on how its taught. I will try to describe the concept without the math. If you grasp the concepts the math isn't really tough because SPSS will do the math for you. This is an example of regressions analysis I have used before.

Lets say you want to buy a house. Being smart, you make a data set of every single house that was sold in your town in the last 5 years. The data set includes: sale price, # of Bedrooms, # of bathrooms, Sq Footage, Garage (y/n), and Pool (y/n).

So using the formula y=f(x) we want to know how much influence each of the house variables has on the sale price. So we set the Sale price as Y and running a regression analysis we would be able to identify how much value a bathroom is worth, a bedroom, a garage a pool etc. This allows you to compare two homes and find out which is the better value. For example if your data shows you that a pool is worth 20K based on the data set then comparing two houses that are exactly the same but one has a pool and one doesn't and the one with the pool is selling for 18K more than the one without, you know that the pool home is discounted by 2k against the average value of the houses that sold.

At its core all you are doing is seeing how much influence variables B1, B2, B3, B4 etc have on Y.

The other important aspect is identifying if the influence each of those variables has is statistically significant. If you find a variable to be statistically insignificant (say below 0.9) then the result of that variable really don't matter.
I’m sure you explained that well but I feel like I just tried to read/understand Latin. My brain just isn’t wired for anything beyond basic math

Last edited:

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Depends on which social science I suppose? Maybe psych, criminal justice, anthropology, geography, history or urban planning?

I’m in HDFS/Social Work and absolutely 0% of things are taught without the notion of everything is constantly evolving and new things are found out each day. It’s why research is such a huge part of it after your undergrad.

I didn't express myself clearly there, when I said "absolutes" I was thinking of how they present their findings because of the flaws the replication crisis seems to show, the chomsky video gets at the methodology a little bit, they mimic what the physics and hard sciences people do but there's a difference because a complex system isn't replicable like the laws of physics are, not that the field thinks of itself as fixed.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Eh? What’s the problem?

0*LVMxnqBff3JUrSly.jpg

Ok ok I will see myself out.

• 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You are conditioning yourself into thinking you are bad at math by thinking you arent a math person. There is no such thing.

• 2Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yep. It's a skill and all skills take practice.
You are conditioning yourself into thinking you are bad at math by thinking you arent a math person. There is no such thing.
I mean, to say some people aren’t inclined to certain things is silly. I took 3 years of Spanish and couldn’t grasp that either and I loved it. I just have issues for other languages, which to me, and my brain, math is.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
a math person. There is no such thing.
I think this isn't true, though you're right in the way most people use the phrase "math person". For sure, great many people do themselves a huge disservice by making excuses instead of learning themselves over the math entry barriers. But real "math people" are definitely a different breed. I'm quantitatively inclined and do simulation and optimization work for a living. But one of my best friends growing up was a goddamn alien. When we were in high school he literally spent a half an hour flipping through our BC Calc text book, shrugged and said, "Yeah, makes sense," didn't touch it for the rest of the year, and aced EVERYTHING. We had exams once a month, after which all the homework for the previous month was due. He'd walk in, blow through the test in five minutes, and spend the remainder of the hour doing a month's worth of homework, which he'd also ace. He ended up with literally a perfect score for the year without investing a single second outside of the exam periods (lectures were optional and he'd skip those). He ended up on scholarship to MIT for math, unsurprisingly.

And working theoretical physicists are even farther off the scale than he was.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think this isn't true, though you're right in the way most people use the phrase "math person". For sure, great many people do themselves a huge disservice by making excuses instead of learning themselves over the math entry barriers. But real "math people" are definitely a different breed. I'm quantitatively inclined and do simulation and optimization work for a living. But one of my best friends growing up was a goddamn alien. When we were in high school he literally spent a half an hour flipping through our BC Calc text book, shrugged and said, "Yeah, makes sense," didn't touch it for the rest of the year, and aced EVERYTHING. We had exams once a month, after which all the homework for the previous month was due. He'd walk in, blow through the test in five minutes, and spend the remainder of the hour doing a month's worth of homework, which he'd also ace. He ended up with literally a perfect score for the semester year without investing a single second outside of the exam periods (lectures were optional and he'd skip those).

And working theoretical physicists are even farther off the scale than he was.
I think any person of sufficient raw intellectual power can do what you friend did. I dont think it has anything to do with having a math brain and has everything to do with good working memory and incredible ability for abstraction. But thats what I feel based on my dealing with math and physics people for the last 10-12 years. Your story does remind me of this funny video though:

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
We will agree to disagree I guess. I 4.0 literally everything, I love learning. Math confuses me no matter how much time I spend on it. I don’t hate it, and I’d love to not be terrible at it. I’ve tried multiple times. 🤷🏻‍♂️