Going to College as an Adult

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Good luck!! Any details you can share? I’m sure the answers no but I had to ask lol
It's on the public record and open to the public so I can share everything, but it isn't cool or sexy. It is an issue of law, not of fact, and very dry. On this one the defense counsel filed a written waiver of notice, but now they are claiming the client should have been served and their Constitutional rights were violated. We'll see what happens, I feel like I have a good shot of winning but our court is pretty liberal.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
1st... If you do it dont go to WGU. It took lots of searching but I found an online MBA program from a State University (Texas) that doesnt charge out of state fees. If you are going to commit the time to do it, getting it from a State school will carry with it a bit more gravitas. University of Texas at the Permian Basin may not be the most prestigious of the U of T schools, but when I say I am getting my MBA from U of T I fail to mention which specific school it is :). That being said with no out-of-state tuition fees, and no online fees, the full MBA runs around 10k - 11k (depending on your undergrad and if they will waive the Finance and Accounting classes or not). This is an accelerated program so each class is 8 weeks instead of the normal 17. Part time is 1 class a session (2 in a semester) and full-time is 2 and 4. Three credits per class. Think of it like taking the Session 1/Session 2 classes in a semester if you ever took those half semester classes. The program and staff have been solid so far. I highly recommend it over one of the more traditional "online universities" like WGU, Phoenix, Southern New Hampshire etc. Fair or not, they carry a stigma of being diploma mills. You straight up cannot beat 10k for an MBA from a State University unless its free because your company is paying for it.

link:
MBA Online | UT Permian Basin Online

Part 2: is it worth it? Truth is in business, people worship at the cock of the letters MBA. People who dont have one think it is a magic title that makes you Warren Buffet. People who have one are part of the club and its a really tightly knit club. I equate it to having an Ivy League degree. For the exact same reasons. Ivy graduates are a tight club. From my perspective, I would hire you with a Stats degree over an MBA but thats because I worship at the altar of math. I know that someone who can learn math and stats can be taught anything because they aren't a functional moron. I hired my current bookkeeper over a bunch of applicants with accounting degrees because she has a business econ degree. She can do math.

Personally, I have 30 years in business (25 with a Fortune 100 company) and i will tell you I learned maybe 10-15% new stuff getting my MBA. I will also say I am the exception and not the rule. There is a lot of good info presented in an MBA curriculum. Your personal experience really determine how much you will learn form it. Think of it like this, a BBA teaches you how to run a crew or a department. An MBA teaches you how to run a company. Its a lot of the same undergrad stuff just taught from a much higher level point of view. If you should ever decide to shoot for management or start your own consulting business the MBA after your name will open lots of doors for you. Is it worth 50 or 100k? Fuck no. Is it worth 10k? Definitely. Its all about ROI. My friend is finishing his BBA in Info Systems. He is currently deciding between an MBA or an MIS (Master of Info Systems). If you only intend on staying in the software world and aspire to nothing higher than being a CIO or CSO, then the MIS might be a better fit. My opinion there goes back to the letters. People worship the MBA. They dont worship the MIS. The MBA will help you if you ever branch out of software and at the same time will help you climb the software geek corporate ladder.

Class example: Our business law class didn't really deal with the law at all. It dealt with creating a start-up company from scratch from the legal point of view. How to file articles of incorporation with the state, how to set up tax status with the IRS, how to issue shares to the founders, how to get funding and make a pitch deck, how to go public etc. I had already done this twice in life already but had I not it would have been an amazing class. It would have saved me time and mistakes my first time setting up an LLC and writing up a business plan for the bank. I really enjoyed this class.

Hope this helps.
I'll keep saying it. Western Governors University is the model of the future providing affordable education. Just like the boomer generation you can attend with a part time job. Online only but that's the modern era.
WGU another viable option

Speaking of school, I'm pretty excited to be enrolled at WGU (Western Governor's University). I've heard good things about it's reputation, and of the 124 credits required for the Bachelors in IT Networking Security, they gave me credit for 46 credits of that from my community college classes and my CCNA. WGU is self paced, and you pay the same amount per 6 month term regardless of how many classes you take. Co-worker said that some terms he's pushed 20 credits just because he was able to cram, take the test, and pass the class.

Will start probably in June, and start knocking out classes. First time in my life at age 33 that I've had a degree plan in front of me. All my time in the community colleges and I never had it laid out so plainly, that this is what I need for a degree. But I guess it makes a difference now that I know what I want to do, instead of just taking classes for no reason.

Gonna just work my current job as a Network Tech while I crank out this school, then come out of it with CCNA, CCNA Security, truck load of CompTia certs, and a bachelors, and look for a better job at that point.

Where are you guys at these days opinion-wise on WGU?

I've had an MBA on my career "to do list" for a few years and I think that time is finally here. I've been running businesses and doing consulting for 15 years now, mostly in digital marketing and e-commerce space, but would like to complete a postgrad degree at this point. Plus, my current company is offering to pay for large portions of it.

The program that Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes found at UT Permian Basin looks good too with similar price point ($10K-12k) and the classes seem to be more robust than WGU

UTPB Classes
Preparation Courses
Upon admission (regular and conditional), students will be evaluated for statistical literacy. Students who need additional skills in this area are referred to BUSI2342 until literacy requirement is fulfilled. Statistical literacy (BUSI2342) must be remedied in the first semester in which the student is accepted into the MBA program and must be taken before the student enrolls in ACCT 6301, BUSI 6302, FINA 6321, FINA 6320, MNGT 6366, or electives in accounting, finance, management, or marketing.
Courses
Duration
Credits
BUSI 2342 - Principles of Statistics
8 weeks
Core Courses
12 Credit Hours. Students must complete the following core courses. Business undergraduate students may be eligible to waive up to 6 hours.
Courses
Duration
Credits
ACCT 6301 - Accounting Analysis
8 weeks
FINA 6320 - Financial Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6360 - Organizational Behavior
8 weeks
MRKT 6310 - Marketing Management
8 weeks
Courses Beyond Core
21 Credit Hours
Courses
Duration
Credits
ACCT 6302 - Contemporary Control Systems
8 weeks
MNGT 6301 - Legal Environment of Business
8 weeks
FINA 6321 - Corporate Finance & Strategy
8 weeks
MRKT 6302 - Marketing Analytics
8 weeks
MNGT 6366 - Strategic Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6320 - Production & Operations Management
8 weeks
BUSI 6302 - Business Analytics
8 weeks
BUSI 6325 - International Business
8 weeks
Elective Courses
Any 6XXX-level ACCT, FINA, MNGT or MRKT course not otherwise required.
Courses
Duration
Credits
ACCT 6305 - Topics in Financial Accounting
16 weeks
ACCT 6311 - Information Systems Management
8 weeks
ACCT 6313 - Professional Ethics
8 weeks
ACCT 6315 - Topics in Federal Income Tax
16 weeks
ACCT 6316 - Topics in Auditing
16 weeks
ACCT 6320 - Fraud Examination and Forensic Accounting
8 weeks
BUSI 6309 - Global Energy Business
8 weeks
FINA 6325 - Financial Derivatives
8 weeks
MNGT 6304 - Data Mining for Business Analytics
8 weeks
MNGT 6305 - Energy Technology & Risk Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6312 - Human Resource Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6324 - Energy Law
8 weeks
MRKT 6314 - International Marketing
8 weeks
FINA 6327 - Investments
16 weeks
FINA 6330 - International Finance
8 weeks
FINA 6331 - Energy Finance
8 weeks
FINA 6335 - Energy Investments and Risk Management
8 weeks
MRKT 6335 - Supply Chain Management
8 weeks
MRKT 6366 - Marketing Strategy
8 weeks
MRKT 6316 - Marketing Research
8 weeks

WGU Classes
Management
Managing Organizations and Leading People

Managing Human Capital

Management Communication

Operations Management

Economics
Global Economics for Managers

Marketing and Communication
Marketing

Accounting
Accounting for Decision Makers

Leadership
Ethical Leadership

Finance
Financial Management

Strategy
Data-Driven Decision Making

Capstone
MBA Capstone

So any advice?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Where are you guys at these days opinion-wise on WGU?

I've had an MBA on my career "to do list" for a few years and I think that time is finally here. I've been running businesses and doing consulting for 15 years now, mostly in digital marketing and e-commerce space, but would like to complete a postgrad degree at this point. Plus, my current company is offering to pay for large portions of it.

The program that Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes found at UT Permian Basin looks good too with similar price point ($10K-12k) and the classes seem to be more robust than WGU

UTPB Classes
Preparation Courses
Upon admission (regular and conditional), students will be evaluated for statistical literacy. Students who need additional skills in this area are referred to BUSI2342 until literacy requirement is fulfilled. Statistical literacy (BUSI2342) must be remedied in the first semester in which the student is accepted into the MBA program and must be taken before the student enrolls in ACCT 6301, BUSI 6302, FINA 6321, FINA 6320, MNGT 6366, or electives in accounting, finance, management, or marketing.
Courses
Duration
Credits
BUSI 2342 - Principles of Statistics
8 weeks
Core Courses
12 Credit Hours. Students must complete the following core courses. Business undergraduate students may be eligible to waive up to 6 hours.
Courses
Duration
Credits
ACCT 6301 - Accounting Analysis
8 weeks
FINA 6320 - Financial Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6360 - Organizational Behavior
8 weeks
MRKT 6310 - Marketing Management
8 weeks
Courses Beyond Core
21 Credit Hours
Courses
Duration
Credits
ACCT 6302 - Contemporary Control Systems
8 weeks
MNGT 6301 - Legal Environment of Business
8 weeks
FINA 6321 - Corporate Finance & Strategy
8 weeks
MRKT 6302 - Marketing Analytics
8 weeks
MNGT 6366 - Strategic Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6320 - Production & Operations Management
8 weeks
BUSI 6302 - Business Analytics
8 weeks
BUSI 6325 - International Business
8 weeks
Elective Courses
Any 6XXX-level ACCT, FINA, MNGT or MRKT course not otherwise required.
Courses
Duration
Credits
ACCT 6305 - Topics in Financial Accounting
16 weeks
ACCT 6311 - Information Systems Management
8 weeks
ACCT 6313 - Professional Ethics
8 weeks
ACCT 6315 - Topics in Federal Income Tax
16 weeks
ACCT 6316 - Topics in Auditing
16 weeks
ACCT 6320 - Fraud Examination and Forensic Accounting
8 weeks
BUSI 6309 - Global Energy Business
8 weeks
FINA 6325 - Financial Derivatives
8 weeks
MNGT 6304 - Data Mining for Business Analytics
8 weeks
MNGT 6305 - Energy Technology & Risk Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6312 - Human Resource Management
8 weeks
MNGT 6324 - Energy Law
8 weeks
MRKT 6314 - International Marketing
8 weeks
FINA 6327 - Investments
16 weeks
FINA 6330 - International Finance
8 weeks
FINA 6331 - Energy Finance
8 weeks
FINA 6335 - Energy Investments and Risk Management
8 weeks
MRKT 6335 - Supply Chain Management
8 weeks
MRKT 6366 - Marketing Strategy
8 weeks
MRKT 6316 - Marketing Research
8 weeks

WGU Classes
Management
Managing Organizations and Leading People

Managing Human Capital

Management Communication

Operations Management

Economics
Global Economics for Managers

Marketing and Communication
Marketing

Accounting
Accounting for Decision Makers

Leadership
Ethical Leadership

Finance
Financial Management

Strategy
Data-Driven Decision Making

Capstone
MBA Capstone

So any advice?
Can’t speak to UTPB but family members have done WGU for their masters and it went very well. As far as the robustness, do you think you are at an experience and knowledge level that you’ll be learning new concepts for your MBA ? I waited too long and found that in my classes I was well ahead of my professors in business courses when I was doing an in person program, so online for me probably would have been better in that it is at your own pace .

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Can’t speak to UTPB but family members have done WGU for their masters and it went very well. As far as the robustness, do you think you are at an experience and knowledge level that you’ll be learning new concepts for your MBA ? I waited too long and found that in my classes I was well ahead of my professors in business courses when I was doing an in person program, so online for me probably would have been better in that it is at your own pace .

Picked up a lot over the last 15 years and had some good mentors along the way, but I am mostly self taught. I think there's probably a good deal more for me to learn.

I'm leaning more towards UTPB as the program length and cost is similar, but UTPB is probably a better school name.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Picked up a lot over the last 15 years and had some good mentors along the way, but I am mostly self taught. I think there's probably a good deal more for me to learn.

I'm leaning more towards UTPB as the program length and cost is similar, but UTPB is probably a better school name.
Sounds like the better for enrichment, if you just wanted the letters then WGU is a great choice for just plowing through it .

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Was supposed to hear back on if I got that scholarship by yesterday at the latest and didn't hear anything. So I emailed my AA (who sits on that committee) and asked her if I didn't get it since I didn't hear anything. She just emailed me back and told me I did indeed get one but didn't want to go into much detail yet and I'd head back by the middle of next week.

Pretty happy, even if it's tiny it'll still be cool to get money for my grades. Something honestly I never thought possible. curious how much it'll be, even a $500 one would have me happy, lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
All things being equal, having UT on your diploma and transcripts is worth something. I'm not saying it's a game changer but everyone knows who Univ of TX is.

I have never heard a bad thing about WGU and it was on my list. But for equal money I went with UT.

Having done the UTPB program I can speak from it. It's solid. It's an accelerated program so you do a class in 8 weeks vs 17 weeks. Part time is one class a session full time is two. It's a lot of group activities (as most MBA programs are). The professors were solid. Standouts were the Business Law professor I had and the Marketing professor. Those were my two favorite classes and I normally dislike marketing/advertising shit.

The Finance professor was a dick. It's my strength and he knew his stuff but he just made doing the class as painful as possible. Like timed tests that forced you to hand type the various mathematical calculations in a text box.

All in all I would and do recco the UTPB program.

Good info, thank you for this.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Personally I question how far school name gets you. I've never once heard of anyone (in the tech industry) giving a shit about school name. I am sure it happens but seems its a few and far between kind of thing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While agree, there is a stigma around what some consider diploma mills (I'm talking to you Univ of Phoenix). I'm not implying GWU is one, but having UT on your diploma is definitely initials people will recognize.
When I got a Masters. I was skeptical of the impact it would have on my career.

But my leadership told me it was a major factor in getting the massive promotion I got last year (given, I also did try and quit). So it definitely paid for itself.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Personally I question how far school name gets you. I've never once heard of anyone (in the tech industry) giving a shit about school name. I am sure it happens but seems its a few and far between kind of thing.

My brother is one of the VP's of HR for a major ivy league school (and has been an upper-end HR person with major companies like Boeing and a few others) and he's told me they absolutely look at what school people went to, and placed like UoP don't even get considered most of the time.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My brother is one of the VP's of HR for a major ivy league school (and has been an upper-end HR person with major companies like Boeing and a few others) and he's told me they absolutely look at what school people went to, and placed like UoP don't even get considered most of the time.
So this is something that may be unique to the Tech Industry.

HR has almost zero control over screening candidates in Tech. It's done by recruiters/talent acquisition. These people are incentivized monetarily to fill seats and not not to screen out people for stupid shit like school name. Which leads to it not happening.

HR has sway in compensation bands and budgetary constraints for headcount and stuff like that though.

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So this is something that may be unique to the Tech Industry.

HR has almost zero control over screening candidates in Tech. It's done by recruiters/talent acquisition. These people are incentivized monetarily to fill seats and not not to screen out people for stupid shit like school name. Which leads to it not happening.

HR has sway in compensation bands and budgetary constraints for headcount and stuff like that though.
While my sample size for direct knowledge in this is small, he's worked for tech companies where he was the person hiring. recruiters would bring people to him, and he made the decision.

Again, not saying it's an industry-wide thing, I can only speak on what he's told me have been his experiences with the companies he's worked for.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That seems really really retarded to let the ultimate hiring decision be on someone who not only didn't interview the person but won't be on the team that candidate is on anyway.

Guess that would be a reason why everyone hates HR.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That seems really really retarded to let the ultimate hiring decision be on someone who not only didn't interview the person but won't be on the team that candidate is on anyway.

Guess that would be a reason why everyone hates HR.
I mean, he interviews as well, or did then. Not as much anymore. Now he does all of the universities contract negotiations he works at among other things. 🤷🏻‍♂️

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I am not being clear here but Tech HR, in my experience, does absolutely nothing beyond the initial budgetary constraints for hires. They don't interview anyone unless its other HR people who will be on their team. Ever.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Maybe I am not being clear here but Tech HR, in my experience, does absolutely nothing beyond the initial budgetary constraints for hires. They don't interview anyone unless its other HR people who will be on their team. Ever.
Again the sample size I’m working with is small and I don’t claim it to be industry standard, but when he worked for a large well known tech company up in WA, he most definitely was in on hiring.

again, not saying it’s industry standard.