Going to College as an Adult

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
We had another "discussion" thread to complete today. I wonder if I'll get any responses, or if it will also get deleted?

Xarpolis said:

I had an epiphany...? No, just a realization.​

Here is something I wrote in the week 1 Journal.

"Regarding why I'm taking this course, it is a required class in order to get into the real core of Computer Science. To be honest, I don't have much interest in the idea of perspectives in history, but I will still do my best in the class, just to get through it without any negative marks on my record. I haven't been a fan of all the liberal science style classes the school has forced down my throat just to get to the real meat and potatoes of the degree, but I'm almost done them. Even when requesting to not take these classes, the advisors informed me they were all mandatory to progress further on."

Now that the class is coming to a close, I need to state things a little differently. I'm still very much against all this force fed liberal arts nonsense, I have actually enjoyed looking back at our history and re-learning things all over again in more depth. It showed me even more so, just how much we are just reliving past mistakes, all over again. But i actually do enjoy reading about history. Learning from it. All is good in that department. So thank you very much for the opportunity to receive enlightenment.

As far as a contemporary issue and change of thought, all of these constant liberal arts classes (I'm not even considering this class one of them... just a history class), It has driven me even further from ever being a Democrat. There's so much going on, but constantly blaming white people for the bad while ignoring ALL of the wrong that is happening from everyone else is not the way to accomplish anything. And that constant finger waving like I'm a child is rubbing me the wrong way. Everything is politicized now. I've never been politically inclined, but I've become that way due to it being forced on society at large. You can't get away from it. This is bad because reasons! This is good just because it's good. This person likes this, so that makes it even worse. It's all so tiring.

One of the biggest current agendas is the mandatory vaccination. I am very much against the fact that it is mandatory for virtually everything. They say "trust the science" while they themselves ignore the science in the first place. I'm waiting for an actual vax that isn't just wishful thinking and fairy dust. All of the current ones do nothing. You can still get the virus. You can still spread the virus. You "might" have gotten a worse case without the vax, but how is there any proof in that, due to how many fully vaccinated people are dying from the virus anyway? It is way too speculative for my liking. But they "might" actually create a functional vax in the future that actually does what a vax is supposed to do. In which case, I will absolutely take that one.

All of the mandates are pushing me away, though. In closing, I saw a very offensive meme the other day that slightly reflects the ideology.

EUIjKq2UwAAQVNY.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I started a new set of classes on Monday. English Composition 2, and Pre-Calc.
English Comp has a forum post for a question about persuasion. What's one time you've used persuasion in your life. I made the topic title "Let's play a little game called 'Just the Tip'". I wonder if anyone will acknowledge it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
More liberal college shit. I'm taking English Composition 2 this latest term, and part of the online series has us reading papers about topics that other people have chosen. I'm sure.

Anyway, this was the first paper they showcased.

BrQepi7.png

It seems totally natural and not forced at all.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A timely and relevant topic to write about. Are you supposed to write something in response? Pro/con/your choice?

How's the pre-calc going?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After last years all online schooling I was able to fudge my way into a 4.0 GPA and since I am a horrible classroom student I figured that would fly out the window and I would lose my honors college membership this semester...but I think I'm going to have a decent chance at maintaining my 4.0, which is pretty mind blowing. Going to be interesting and a bit stressful going into these last three weeks.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I lost my 4.0 cumulative GPA this semester. I'm now a 3.959 and I've now officially entered my junior year. I'm pretty bummed about losing my 4.0 but I guess I should probably get over it. I never got above a C in all of high school and even C's were rare tbh. It's just annoying because of all classes to get a 3.5 in, it was an intro class. So pretty annoying.

I've completed 2 of 8 of my required honors experiences to graduate with honors.

I'm really enjoying the challenge school brings, and while exhausting, I get a lot of fulfillment from it. I've decided I'm going to attend graduate school and switch from my HDFS route (I'll still bet my bachelor's in that) and work on my MSW. I've had a couple of professors express that they'd like to work research (and are encouraging me to get my doctorate) with me on a few topics I've brought up, but honestly, I have almost zero interest in those levels of research activities. I love the university I attend and may look into trying to teach there eventually as I'd love to help future kids in the field and honestly, professors at my university make serious bank. lol

At any rate, that's where I'm at so far. It's pretty wild that I'm halfway to my bachelor's. Never thought I'd be here.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Well the last semester was a shit show. I posted in another thread my personal issues so I wont repeat them here but the tl;dr is that I didnt handle a break up well and so the school was overwhelming as fuck and I dropped a class. When all was said and done I finished the semester with a A+ in numerical methods 2 (physics class that studied implementing numerical solutions to partial differential equations), A in data science (pretty boring shit because it was almost entirely a review for me except pesky hackerrank quizzes. Its all the shit that the news calls Artificial Intelligence and never mentions that these are just old school statistical methods or mathematical optimization or both), and I got a B+ in Advanced Databases course (I only get Bs in fucking Computer Science non math classes, I hate this shit. Fucking low IQ trash, god damn). The class I dropped was the only class I gave a shit about and the only class that took more than 10 hours a week to study for (Math Methods for Physical Sciences). Pretty bummed about that and it actually was counterproductive as it made my mood worse; should never drop math classes as thats one of the few things that ever centers me.

Anyway, new semester, new shit to learn! I am taking Advanced Python programming because I realized I am shit at leetcode/hackerrank problem solving and need more practice. I am also taking a graduate linear algebra class which, based on book choices, is a typical linear algebra class taught in grad schools (was hoping for it to be a special topic sort of class but alas it is not). The other two classes I am taking are bioinformatics seminar class which means we will be reading, replicating and implementing things from existing scientific literature. One class focuses on biomedical genetics and the other on microbiota. Pretty excited about these two and plan on getting into at least one of the labs lead by the professors teaching these two classes (and hopefully two labs).

Anyway, thanks for reading my LiveJournal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I'm in yet another social sciences class right now, and this week's forum post type assignment is as follows:

"Up until this point in the course, you've explored the process of analyzing works from the humanities. You've also started conducting research on specific works for your project.

Compared to what you know about the methods of disciplines such as mathematics, the natural sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry), or the social sciences (e.g., psychology, sociology), what do you think is unique about the methods used to investigate the humanities? If you have any questions for your peers, feel free to include them as part of your response.

In responses to your peers, explain whether you agree or disagree with their conclusions, and explain why.
"

So my post this week is as follows:
This is now my 5th social science type of class, and my honest reaction is that it's all a waste of time. I love how these social science classes all fall under general education, and become mandatory classes for EVERY important degree you are trying to accomplish. The humanities as a whole is just a way for people to get a job by fooling other people into thinking what they have to say may be important. The entirety of all of my past humanities classes have boiled down to "why do you feel this way?", and that means nothing to me. If you want real science, get into psychology. The way people feel is largely useless. A lot of people felt that Trump was a mean person, but that doesn't take away from the incredible success he had with this country. Then Biden came around, and he made people feel safe because he didn't use any bad words while talking to people, and sure enough the country is in a nose dive now. He's spreading more separatism in the country than anything Trump could ever imagine, and people go along with it because he isn't being mean to you when he says it. We are failing over and over again as a net result. Good job feelings, you're pointless and you're ruining the greatest country on Earth.

Anyway, rant over. What I know about Math and Science (real science, not this social sciences crap) is that they depend on absolutes. 5 + 5 is absolutely 10. It will never be 9, even if it doesn't feel like being 10. At the same time, real science is also absolutes. The elemental makeup of water is absolutely H2O which means 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom. It will NEVER be 2 hydrogen and 2 oxygen, because that's Hydrogen Peroxide. And these absolutes are what make understanding math and real science an important process. The world is based on absolutes. So, that pretty much explains my distaste for humanities and more specifically social science.

I'm probably alone with my strong dislike of these topics, but at least it's out there. I look forward to reading what other people have to say.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Anthropology, Archaeology, Economics, Geography, History, Law, Linguistics, Politics, Psychology and Sociology are social sciences. All of which require qualitative research methodologies which is what classifies them as sciences. You not liking that doesn’t change that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

also there are who branches of “real sciences” that aren’t based off absolutes and are based of theories, hypotheticals and strait up guesses, like quantum mechanics for example. They use concrete science, or what we know of it so far, to try and prove things that aren’t or aren’t yet concrete.

Your issue seems to be taking exception with abstract science as opposed concrete science…when in fact almost all concrete science was abstract at one point.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Science is never absolute. The teacher will tear that claim apart easily. Also social sciences aren't real sciences.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Not science is absolute. The teacher will tear that claim apart easily. Also social sciences aren't real sciences.
Humanities is one of the disciplines of science, not classified as a science on its own. However that’s not what was stated. He stated Social Sciences aren’t “real science” because they don’t deal in concrete things.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Humanities is one of the disciplines of science, not classified as a science on its own. However that’s not what was stated. He stated Social Sciences aren’t “real science” because they don’t deal in concrete things.
He said they aren’t sciences because they don’t use the scientific method, not that they don’t deal with concrete things.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
He isn’t wrong.
Except you are again ignoring the fact that all science was/is abstract at one point before it became/becomes concrete and the whole point of science is to progress the abstract portions into concrete. Again, they all deal with qualitative research methodologies which is what classifies them as sciences.

unless the whole point of this is to purposefully be obtuse and troll, in which case, carry on.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Except you are again ignoring the fact that all science was/is abstract at one point before it became/becomes concrete and the whole point of science is to progress the abstract portions into concrete. Again, they all deal with qualitative research methodologies which is what classifies them as sciences.

unless the whole point of this is to purposefully be obtuse and troll, in which case, carry on.
He wrote about the social sciences relying on feels to make their arguments as opposed to what real scientific fields do. He did not draw any distinctions between abstract and concrete.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
He wrote about the social sciences relying on feels to make their arguments as opposed to what real scientific fields do. He did not draw any distinctions between abstract and concrete.
Except for the whole praragraph where he talks about real science only dealing in absolutes (which is what concrete is).

and again, qualitative research methodologies are used in both sciences and social sciences hence why both are called science. You can not like that all you want, it doesn’t change a thing.

also when you say “feels” I assume you are referring to psychology and sociology? I mean, there are literally 9 other fields in the social sciences tree that don’t fall under what you consider “feels”….nevermind that thinking there’s not “real science” behind psychology is simply silly too.

Last edited:

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was venting due to these forced social science bullshit classes. You NEED to take them in order to graduate, and they're all bullshit. And I live in a world dictated by absolutes, as opposed to sometimes or maybes.