Going to College as an Adult

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes what was your time commitment like when you were doing the MBA at Permian Basin?

Interested in how much time the classes and the homework/projects took

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its the accelerated class, so each full class is 8 weeks instead of 17. So part-time is one class ever 8 weeks and full time is 2 classes.

Time wise it wasn't bad, with the caveat it depends on your background. Also each class was a bit different. For example, the finance classes were very little time as no real homework or projects, just understanding the material.

The research class is probably the biggest timesink, lots of time spend reading and writing a research paper (albeit they make it a group project).

Marketing had a good chunk of time involved as did the Ops class.

Overall, depending your background, I would plan to spend 3-4 hours a week per class plus time if the professor actually holds a class via zoom/WebEx. Some did and some just made it straight read and work

That's not bad at all, I was afraid it would be like 20 hours a week.

I got almost 20 years in marketing, and another 10 years in purchasing, forecasting, negotiating, and ran my own ecom biz for 5 years so I think I have a decent base to start from.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Its the accelerated class, so each full class is 8 weeks instead of 17. So part-time is one class ever 8 weeks and full time is 2 classes.

Time wise it wasn't bad, with the caveat it depends on your background. Also each class was a bit different. For example, the finance classes were very little time as no real homework or projects, just understanding the material.

The research class is probably the biggest timesink, lots of time spend reading and writing a research paper (albeit they make it a group project).

Marketing had a good chunk of time involved as did the Ops class.

Overall, depending your background, I would plan to spend 3-4 hours a week per class plus time if the professor actually holds a class via zoom/WebEx. Some did and some just made it straight read and work.
Accelerated class in grad school takes 3-4 hours a week of work? I don’t think I like you anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
One of the accelerated classes last semester had an orientation quiz that had a question about how much weekly time I thought was required for the class. The choices were, in hours, 1-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20 and 20+. The correct answer was the one that included infinity. On the quiz and in actual work required.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
One of the accelerated classes last semester had an orientation quiz that had a question about how much weekly time I thought was required for the class. The choices were, in hours, 1-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20 and 20+. The correct answer was the one that included infinity. On the quiz and in actual work required.
absolutely fucking not no way GIF

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
But why?

Nothing stops you from learning shit without paying stupid ass universities to attend really inefficient classes.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I remember the exact moment when I understood how fully useless university actually is. In my computer science undergrad I was taking discrete mathematics. I was struggling with some part of the homework assignment for some reason and stumbled upon a youtube series on discrete mathematics. It was like 6 hours in total. Made by some nice Indians. I watched that entire series one Saturday morning and grasped what I was trying to.

The next week in class i realized that I just finished the entire semester of coursework in 6 hours. By watching some free youtube videos.

I understand that this would not have been possible before YouTube and stuff yes. But they exist today and did back in 2010 when I took that class.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you haven't ever seen it, the Khan Academy free online learning site is amazing. And a great story as well. Rich folks leave rich jobs and start non-profit learning site.
Yes I also know Khan Academy well lol. It got me through Calc III by being far easier to understand than the trash study material the class gave me.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
But why?

Nothing stops you from learning shit without paying stupid ass universities to attend really inefficient classes.
Being in school you are surrounded by people smarter than you, being at home you are surrounded by a potato.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Being in school you are surrounded by people smarter than you, being at home you are surrounded by a potato.
I didn't talk to people at university the first time. I wouldn't if I continued to attend.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Aren't you used to the feeling of being surrounded by people smarter than you?

• 1Mic Drop