Going to College as an Adult

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I personally hated university. I started at 23 and was out by 25. I later got a Masters online as the Army was paying for all of it.

But I will help as much as I can!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Good stuff.

Also if this is your first go at it, there are tax deductions available up to $2500 federal and possibly some state stuff too.

As for textbooks:

And for research access for stuff your uni library doesn't have access to:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I started school at 24. I felt like a grandpa, having worked for 5 years before going to school and working part time while in school. I was lucky in that my major for my B.S. they spent a ton of time taking field trips to people and companies working in the field to give you an idea of what was available, demand for that job, pay for that job and such. I think a large part of studies in college now don't ever touch that. Besides field trips to local places during class lab 2-3 times a semester we would go out of state and listen in on papers given, professor was there to make sure you asked a question that made sense at the end. The things I went to at the start they paired you up with a professional. Kind of like a mentor deal. Talk to them, ask what they do, demand for that, how did you get there and such. For instance the Wildlife Society had meetings where masters students gave their published papers and all the professional wildlife biologist would attend and get paired up with a student.

Financial aid I don't know. I wrote a paper for the SRT and they gave me a scholarship. Sons of Republic of TX which I was a member and they seemed to like the idea of someone being a member getting a scholarship, and at a school in state that factored in with the SRT. But a fair number of people I went to school with you could tell when financial aid came in. Spend on stupid shit and be broke by the end of the semester digging for quarters in the couch. School was much cheaper 25 years ago I think. The number of students getting a student loan was probably much lower at the time. Appy even as an older person to anywhere and everywhere. You never know. A friend of mine went back and got his M.S. 10 years out of school and got a scholarship for it.

I don't know about text books. I bought maybe 3 or 4 getting two degrees. Those were for stuff outside my major and some of those I just skipped on. The ones in my major were provided by the college in the university, and you gave them back at the end of the semester.

If you are an older adult or have any experience in the real world at all ask the dean or professor if there is anything you could get around or skip. I talked to my major professor early on and was talking about the business I had been in. He set me up with the dean and I got some of the stuff taken off my list to graduate or traded out for actual stuff in my study. So I got out of communications class, music appreciation and a couple of other classes. But I went to a university of 15k and a college in the university of 300 so that probably won't fly at a larger school. It was nice getting my 140 hours required for graduation in my B.S. that mostly dealt with stuff I needed to know and not "filler".

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went back to school at 46 to get my law degree. Part time though, didn't want to worry about living as an adult without a paycheck coming in.

• 3Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Law school full-time is a three year commitment, I'm going to school part-time, keeping my full-time day job. I am in the 4th year of a 5 year program. For me it is good as I am a middle-aged guy in a technology job dominated by younger people, with the law, I picked a field where being a middle aged guy is an occupational bonus. I love law school but I may be the exception and not the rule.

If you love history and you love to read, law school is great. If you like getting up in front of groups of people and arguing, also a bonus. I had never done that before but it is mandatory at my school and I'm glad it was, turned out to be a great experience and will likely shape my career path going forward.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

If you are an in a posistion that you could work and telecommute while going to school seems like it would be ideal. Guessing those chances are pretty slim tho. I worked at home while in school, eventually that type of work went bye bye for an odd reason. I worked a year as an intern for the US Forest Service and it was a good connections builder. Fair number of people I went to school with had the idea that $7/hour at the time (minimum wage was $4.25) would be great for the rest of your life. Lot of people that had never held a real job in their life tho.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I went to school at 32, powered through and got an MS. I don't know if it was worth it or not tbh, and I sure as shit wish there was a different path for people. I work with two guys who have no degrees that are basically goddamn wizards with computers, one in particular has been hacking longer than I've been alive, manager got grief over trying to bring this dude on the team because he didn't have a degree. The MS in particular wasn't really worth it, they focused on project/program management type shit, systems engineering.

But, you know, easy to shit on it after you have it. I worked full time while getting it done. Mix of night classes and online stuff, 1 or 2 during the day but my job at the time allowed for it. I don't know how I could help anyone going to school now but if I can I would.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I dropped out of college when I was a dumb ass kid. Went back 10 years ago and haven't stopped. I am well over 300 credits at this point and still going (17 more this semester). I have the luxury of being able to live comfortably while working 15-20 hours a week, if that, and living in NY where state schools are cheap. So my experience probably doesn't translate well but if someone needs some advice on being an older student, I can probably offer something.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I graduated at 42. BS in Biology, graduated Magna Cum Laude. Bounced around Montana and Idaho a couple years working fisheries and having a blast. Pay was shit though and with responsibilities back home in Texas I went back to my career in the pool business.

Racked up about $25k in debt but I don't regret it at all. I may no longer use my degree at work but it gave me a lot of confidence and authority that's translated into higher earnings. If I was a little bit younger I would go back for a Master's but at this point I just need to grind paychecks for 15 years then go buy a couple dozen acres in Montana.

• 3Like

Borzak

Night school didn't cross my mind, that would be a good option. Night classes in my major were not an option, except for out of class work rarely.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never finished mt degree. I've been with my company (big) for about 20 years and not sure how many even know. My current role was previously held by a west point grad, then 2 MBA guys before him.

I've debated going back, nights or online. But honestly, only having an mba would make any diff.
I did u of Phoenix about 15 years ago. Holy shit a waste of $$.

Im jaded

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Law school full-time is a three year commitment, I'm going to school part-time, keeping my full-time day job. I am in the 4th year of a 5 year program. For me it is good as I am a middle-aged guy in a technology job dominated by younger people, with the law, I picked a field where being a middle aged guy is an occupational bonus. I love law school but I may be the exception and not the rule.

If you love history and you love to read, law school is great. If you like getting up in front of groups of people and arguing, also a bonus. I had never done that before but it is mandatory at my school and I'm glad it was, turned out to be a great experience and will likely shape my career path going forward.
I'm finishing up my undergrad at 30 and seriously considering this. I wanted to go to law school since I was a kid (family is full of lawyers), but I started making decent money at Apple and never followed through.

Dad died, felt bad about not finishing undergrad, but I'm like 20 hours away and debating "what's next".

I think I'd like it but the cost is a little scary.

Borzak

I was 3 hours away from having a second minor. I really didn't need a minor in math/statistics considering how much I'm not a fan of it. I used it a lot in working out management projections but I don't do anything like that in my work. Was kind of concerned to become someone who makes a career out of going to school.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
300 credits? Puts me to shame. More power to you. Just curious what part of NY? You are right about how cheap state schools are. I'm thinking about applying for a PhD program at CUNY.
It's one of the CUNY schools. Cuny allows classes to be taken at any campus so I have been all over, including the grad center.