Going to College as an Adult

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Helping my daughter with Trig rations when I haven't looked at them in over 40 years. FML. Thank God for the internet.
I never really groked trig functions until I went all the way back to how Pythagoras derived them from the unit circle.

Haven't reviewed this top to bottom but after skimming through a few pages, it seems like the clearest explanation out of the first page of Google results. Looking at something like this might help her get an intuitive grap of it

Can basically just look at them as being shorthand applications of the good old Pythagorean theorem.

Then a good old sine / cosine wave is kind of just a modular representation of repeatedly going around that unit circle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Khan academy is almost entirely videos and has almost no exercises. While videos are helpful, only way math is learned is by doing. The AI service claims it offers a lot of exercises tailored specifically to the skill level of the student and that it dynamically adjusts the material based on progress. If it’s claims are true, it is superior to khan academy for learning math. The price is a different argument.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Next adventure is off to a good start

Capture - Copy.PNG

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well is an interesting thread, I’m basically transferring to a four year university in the fall. I been in school for most of my 20’s cause of my health

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes - You make it really difficult to look for insight when you're the main contributor, but you basically erase your presence.

Something Ive been contemplating is going back to school and trying to become a Lawyer. I have the time, I have the money (though I dont want to part with it like any other person). I was thinking of attending maybe Liberty University, since its where I live. But Im unsure how my credits and past degrees will transfer? Do I need to look for anything in particular to concentrate in real estate law? Are there any self proclaimed Lawyers here?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I dunno about the lawyer thing, apologies.

mom taking two classes over the summer and am slated to graduate in the fall. Except, I need an internship and when I work 8-430 M-F I dunno how going to make that work when the majority of my field operates those same hours.

we will see what the school says I suppose.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
For Lawyer, if you already have a bachelors, taking any additional classes will not help. The GPA that is looked at is only the GPA received in your first bachelors degree. And the only thing that matters for acceptance to law schools are GPA and LSAT scores.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes - You make it really difficult to look for insight when you're the main contributor, but you basically erase your presence.

Something Ive been contemplating is going back to school and trying to become a Lawyer. I have the time, I have the money (though I dont want to part with it like any other person). I was thinking of attending maybe Liberty University, since its where I live. But Im unsure how my credits and past degrees will transfer? Do I need to look for anything in particular to concentrate in real estate law? Are there any self proclaimed Lawyers here?
Sorry about the deletes. Someone decided to go digging into my post history for personal info.

So a few things.
How old are you? I was accepted to law school about 5 years ago but turned it down when I did the ROI on the cost. Lawyering is something that really needs actual experience to go with the law school degree. So a 50+ fresh law school grad has zero experience and needs years of low paying stuff like DA/PD or a mentor to work under.

That being said, wormie sort of hit on it. The JD (Juris Doctorate) is a grad degree that you move to after attaining a bachelor's. Your prior credits etc don't matter beyond your undergrad GPA. Once you have been awarded a degree, things like credits and stuff don't really matter.

As to the real estate specialty, my understanding is most everyone in law school gets the same education and then after you graduate and pass the bar you choose a specialty to practice. In your case, you would most likely seek an experienced RE lawyer to work for and have mentor you.

You could just pass the bar and hang a single, but you would have zero real experience in RE law and text books will only carry you so far.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sorry about the deletes. Someone decided to go digging into my post history for personal info.

So a few things.
How old are you? I was accepted to law school about 5 years ago but turned it down when I did the ROI on the cost. Lawyering is something that really needs actual experience to go with the law school degree. So a 50+ fresh law school grad has zero experience and needs years of low paying stuff like DA/PD or a mentor to work under.

That being said, wormie sort of hit on it. The JD (Juris Doctorate) is a grad degree that you move to after attaining a bachelor's. Your prior credits etc don't matter beyond your undergrad GPA. Once you have been awarded a degree, things like credits and stuff don't really matter.

As to the real estate specialty, my understanding is most everyone in law school gets the same education and then after you graduate and pass the bar you choose a specialty to practice. In your case, you would most likely seek an experienced RE lawyer to work for and have mentor you.

You could just pass the bar and hang a single, but you would have zero real experience in RE law and text books will only carry you so far.
39. Not worried about GPA, graduated VCU with a 3.8. Not worried about money, own a business and thats essentially what this is about.

Im just curious how they view a BS with business administration. Would I struggle to get in with it? Will I be looked down upon for not already having something like a Criminal Justice background? etc.

This mostly spawned from me gawking at how much the clients at my business are paying our lawyer to handle the issues that arise with their properties. I started this company as a lazy mans way to earn an extra stream of income and as the company has grown, its needed more and more services. Its became anything but lazy, and Im looking for ways to make more money since with less work. Im thinking I could stream those very same real estate law issues to myself from my own existing business. What has been the most intriguing stuff to talk about is the disputes between a landlord and a business owner over Lease Hold Improvements and similar issues.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
39. Not worried about GPA, graduated VCU with a 3.8. Not worried about money, own a business and thats essentially what this is about.

Im just curious how they view a BS with business administration. Would I struggle to get in with it? Will I be looked down upon for not already having something like a Criminal Justice background? etc.

This mostly spawned from me gawking at how much the clients at my business are paying our lawyer to handle the issues that arise with their properties. I started this company as a lazy mans way to earn an extra stream of income and as the company has grown, its needed more and more services. Its became anything but lazy, and Im looking for ways to make more money since with less work. Im thinking I could stream those very same real estate law issues to myself from my own existing business. What has been the most intriguing stuff to talk about is the disputes between a landlord and a business owner over Lease Hold Improvements and similar issues.
You undergrad program doesnt matter at all. It could be basket weaving. Law school teaches you the ins and outs of the law. Its very much its own way of thinking. I can tell you it is a fuck ton of time commitment. The amount of reading you did in undergrad will not prepare you for the amount of reading and writing you will be doing in a grad program. The amount of reading in most graduate programs is mind numbing for most people. It created the phrase "read like a grad student".

I say this not having been to law school, but having friends and family who have. Its not "hard". Most stem degrees are "harder". Its just that its learning something you tend to have almost zero background knowledge of so you are doing all the learning from scratch. Since you have a BA, you have the capacity to get through it intellectually. Its kind of like how Financial and Managerial Accounting is an alien language when you take them (unless its your background) if that makes sense.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Khan academy is almost entirely videos and has almost no exercises. While videos are helpful, only way math is learned is by doing. The AI service claims it offers a lot of exercises tailored specifically to the skill level of the student and that it dynamically adjusts the material based on progress. If it’s claims are true, it is superior to khan academy for learning math. The price is a different argument.
Khan Academy got me through Calc-II and III years ago. IDK I had the exercises to do but videos of very clear step by step examples of how to solve and go through similar problems helped me a lot when it came to understanding it.

• 1Like