Going to Movies Solo

iannis

Musty Nester
Please speak up. There will be no mockery. This is a judgement free area.

You can trust us. We're from the government.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I go to movies alone all the time... why might you ask? If I feel like seeing a fucking movie, I'm going to see the fucking movie. Not sure why its a big deal. The same weirdness some people have about eating at a restaurant alone. I just don't get it.
Pretty much this. If I want to see a movie I'll just go, I'm not going to limit myself to do something I want to do only if I can find someone who wants to go with me. What am I, a child?

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I go to movies alone all the time... why might you ask? If I feel like seeing a fucking movie, I'm going to see the fucking movie. Not sure why its a big deal. The same weirdness some people have about eating at a restaurant alone. I just don't get it.
What that guy said.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think I went solo to The Lego Movie, How to Train Your Dragon 2, and Frozen. Honest to god I did not realize Frozen was a musical though and my family had no idea that movie even existed so they passed.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
It's ingrained in us that going to the movies is a social event, despite actually being pretty antisocial. Since childhood, you went to movies with friends or family, so I think many people just see that as the way it's gone about. I think it becomes less a thing the older you get, but going against the norm for someone younger can seem a bit strange at first. I do think the experience is enhanced a little going with a friend, especially if you like talking about the film afterwards, but going alone doesn't really diminish it. I also don't mind packed theaters at all.

Though it would be pretty awkward laughing in an empty theater by yourself, which is why I'd avoid comedies.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I go to movies all the time solo. The social aspect of it is pretty low in the first place, sit in the dark and you cannot talk. We should be asking people "Why do you go with another person??"

It's worse going to the movies with others as a planned thing without a specific film to see. We'll sort it out when we're there. Leads to having to pick and compromise on what you want to see, I know that some of the worst movies I've ever seen at the cinema have been as result of working it out when you're there.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I went on a couple rollercoasters alone yesterday. I would've rather gone to a movie alone.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Go to the movies solo when there's something worth seeing on the big screen. Saturday morning, first showing. Matinee prices, never packed.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I usually only go to the movies as a solo. This works best for opening night blockbusters, as I'm ALWAYS able to find a spot, usually in prime locations. A lot of people leave a 1 seat buffer between them and someone else, so I'm always able to squeeze in to that. Works great.

EDIT: I just remembered my very first "solo" movie experience. I went and saw the original Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire. I was finished with High School, working full time for my family business (and I'm still there). We got done work at 3:30pm one day, so I went right to the theater after work and saw it then. I had never been to a movie earlier than like 7pm previously, so it was a weird, but I grew to love it. Seriously, you're sitting in a dark room, who gives a shit if you're sitting next to people you know or not? You miss out on talking about the movie after the fact, but even then you don't always miss out.

Now a days, the theater I go to has a sports bar right next to it (same parking lot). I'll walk over there after watching the movie, and start chatting with random people around the bar. It always seems to work.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Usually always go to the movies alone. Most friends and family work full time jobs and we cant really commit so I just go. Seen everything from Frozen to Edge of Tommorow alone. Theatre here has tickets for 4.50 matinee showing so I almost always go before 3 or 4. Empty theatres usually and sometimes I'll even just walk to another movie.

What the fuck is wrong with the OP and certain others. Do you get this anxious when you go to the library alone well? Who the fuck cares what other people in the theatre think?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's worse going to the movies with others as a planned thing without a specific film to see. We'll sort it out when we're there. Leads to having to pick and compromise on what you want to see, I know that some of the worst movies I've ever seen at the cinema have been as result of working it out when you're there.
Is this something that people actually do? I've never in my entire life gone to the movies without knowing the specific film and showing that I wanted to see. Even back in the days where you had to check the newspaper or call up the theater to find out the times of showings, we never just said "whelp, let's just show up at the theater and THEN figure out what to see!"

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I'm guessing it's packs of teens with nothing better to do than loiter who go to a theater with no idea what they're going to see.

Fucking kids. Go home and do some chores if all your homework is done!

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
What the fuck is wrong with the OP and certain others. Do you get this anxious when you go to the library alone well? Who the fuck cares what other people in the theatre think?
As I mentioned, itwasa bit awkward when I was younger because it can be seen as going against a social norm. Though I don't really think much of it now, and actually prefer going by myself a lot times for reasons already stated. Just curious to see who else feels the same. Going to the library isn't traditionally seen as a social event so...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is this something that people actually do? I've never in my entire life gone to the movies without knowing the specific film and showing that I wanted to see. Even back in the days where you had to check the newspaper or call up the theater to find out the times of showings, we never just said "whelp, let's just show up at the theater and THEN figure out what to see!"
I did this quite a bit in college, before/after a club, dinner before or after, sometimes you just watch whats playing at that time, it was fine for ny where most shows go past 2am.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Pretty common if you're at the mall and happen to run into a theater.

early 20s- did it a bunch. now, not so much. been aching to do it again. its peaceful as fuck. real jealous of the big cities who serve booze at theatres, you can go and not look weird.

safe time- matinee. if you dont give a fuck- go whenever, but id still avoid fri/sat night

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Back in the early 90's I was living in Sydney. In the middle of the city there was a cinema strip, the main 3 cinema chains Hoyts, Greater Union and Village each had a multiplex 12-15 screens - in the same block on the same side of the street. And then they showed all the big current releases at the early evening time so TL: DR all the current movies were there to be watched within a 1 hour time window.

So it was common to meet up with friends, relatives visiting town there, go to a nearby restaurant / fast food place and then work out what film to watch.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I enjoy going to the movies solo more than I enjoy with friends. One factor may be that I don't really watch the more "social with friends" (comedies, blockbuster action etc) type of movies in theaters. I usually only shell out theater-cash to see movies that I have a special interest in, in which case I really just want to concentrate on the movie.

For me, there is something nice about having alone time with quiet thoughts and observations of the stuff going on around me without having to be socially attentive. It's a treat, really.