Going to Movies Solo

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
This is about going to see movies by yourself. Do you do it? If so, are there any particular guidelines that you follow? I find myself doing it more frequently now, especially since I'm in a new city and don't know a lot of people. It used to feel awkward as hell, but I'm much less conscious about it now.

Generally, if I go solo I will avoid blockbusters, comedies, horrors and opening weekends, though I do make exceptions for films I really want to see. Sometimes it feels like a chore trying to convince people to see something you really want to see; it's nice being able to just get up and go. I'd consider myself a pretty big film buff, however, and will see most decent movies in the theater.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Get yourself a real doll and never have to go alone again!

3c7c.jpg

khorum

Murder Apologist
There was a thing a few years ago about theatres marketing to solo viewers. Kinda like a singles meetup thing. That was before it everything got super shitty and they just gave 3x more screenings to 3D blockbusters.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wife does it on the weekends I have to work a release. She gets to see all those Twilight-ish movies that I some how manage to keep avoiding
smile.png

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Theaters and arcades can be great while rudderless on a hot day. I used to go often during the summer and meet new people. But if your theater is dead then consider looking for locals on the internet since you like to see movies often.

If you intend to stay solo then I recommend the latest showing on Sunday night and the earliest matinee on Mon-Thurs. Also park and sit near the main doors in case someone tries to get a piece of the bank you brought for refreshments.

Szlia

I have 20+ movie screens within a 15min walk radius, so the huge majority of the movies I see are impulse-watch. The only guideline is sparing the movies that have date/buddy night potential, unless you don't mind seeing the same movie twice.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Maybe this is just me but what's the big deal if you go to a movie alone? Are you worried that people will see you're alone and think you're a loser or something? If so, who gives a shit what those people think, I bet you're happier alone than 50% of the 'happy' couples you see while you're at the theater.

I travel a lot for work and have no issues going to a theater alone, out to eat in a sit down restaurant alone, etc. I really couldn't care less if other people think I'm a loser or whatever, aside from which I'll probably never see those people again in my life.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I wouldn't, 50% of the enjoyment for me, is talking about the movie afterwards. Like we walk out of cap2 and my wife is asking me questions, googling this and that while we walk home, which leads to us going to comicon this week.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
I wouldn't, 50% of the enjoyment for me, is talking about the movie afterwards. Like we walk out of cap2 and my wife is asking me questions, googling this and that while we walk home, which leads to us going to comicon this week.
Granted, going to a movie with someone you like and being able to discuss it with that person afterwards is preferable, but I also enjoy going to the theaters alone.

Goatface

did it for years, but i would guess almost every time it was at a discounted rate. when i worked weekends, found a place that had $1 showing of 1st run movies at 10am on a wed. would be me and maybe half a dozen retirees.
now with most tickets around here being $9 to 13 a pop, only go with others to something i really want to see.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't go to the movies all that often any more, but since I'm forever alone I typically go by myself. Occasionally it will work out that a buddy can go with me, but if not I typically just go and don't even worry about it. Most of my friends seem appalled at the thought of going alone, but they also constantly miss out on plenty of movies they wanted to see too.

Going alone allows me to hit that Thursday at midnight showing if I want as well, or right after work on Friday to get matinee pricing, or whatever. Way too many times I've agreed to see a movie with a friend and for whatever reason they can't make it opening weekend, or the weekend after, etc. I've waited until 3-4 weeks after release several times, and if it was one of the few movies I actually wanted to see in theaters, waiting that long is like torture. I can't discuss it with anyone else that has seen it, I can't read the threads here, and I start to get annoyed the longer I have to wait. So I'll typically ask people if they want to go at such and such date and time, and if they can't, and don't have a firm counter-plan for the same weekend, I'll just go myself.

Obviously, given someone that isn't annoying as fuck, I'd prefer to go with a friend. But I have no problem going myself. I'm never going to see the people in the theater again in case they do think I'm a loser, and even if I do, who cares?

I've never gone to a theater looking to meet new people though. That seems sort of weird unless it is purposely intended as such.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did it once, it was horrible. If it stops feeling that way, you're basically accepting your role as a social outcast no one wants around. At least get some amateur hooker to go with you for a free ticket and a pizza.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Because nothing validates your social acceptability like going to a dinner and a movie with an underaged crack whore.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I always ask around to see if someone wants to go with me, but if no one does I'm sure as hell going to go by myself. The idea of needing someone to go with you to the movies is fundamentally stupid because you're literally sitting next to each other in silence (or you should be, at least) for the duration. I went and saw Pacific Rim alone, and at least 3 or 4 this past year that I can't remember right now.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah not sure why people make a big deal out of this. It's not something I do very often but I don't think it's a big deal.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'm confirmed forever alone status so 80% of my movies are solo.

Had a chick with her boyfriend ask me what I was doing at a movie alone. I had no response other than to laugh.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Ain't nothin' wrong with seeing a movie solo. I don't do it often (or go to the theaters for that matter). Like people said, it's not really that great of a group activity.