Gold Rush (Discovery)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
At least this week we'll finally see what the other crews are doing. Jungle Gold is just a hilarious red-headed stepchild branch off of Gold Rush. I'd be shocked if those two guys ever pulled off any decent mining.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
At least this week we'll finally see what the other crews are doing. Jungle Gold is just a hilarious red-headed stepchild branch off of Gold Rush. I'd be shocked if those two guys ever pulled off any decent mining.
It is pretty funny no matter how silly and ineffectual the gold rush alaska guys seem just watch jungle gold and the hoffmans look like fucking geniuses and paragons of moral virtue compared to the jungle gold douches.

Merrith

It is pretty funny no matter how silly and ineffectual the gold rush alaska guys seem just watch jungle gold and the hoffmans look like fucking geniuses and paragons of moral virtue compared to the jungle gold douches.
Caught a replay of the new episode this Sunday. They find a couple of small nuggets in one spot and instantly think that amount of gold is there in the exact same amount of pay dirt for their entire claim. Their backer guy kind of just laughed at them and pointed it out. By the end it looked like they at least found some sort of possible pay streak they could mine, but I seriously doubt they make any real money all season again.

I feel bad for the one who's kid got diagnosed with autism, but man you have to wonder how these guys aren't getting killed over there being filmed carrying around such large amounts of cash.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So yeah, always thought the narrator of this show was Joe Mantegna. Apparently its not. The more you know...

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This year has been all over the place. Bit of a let down so far. They are really milking this show.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I hate friggin useless episodes like this last one. They are like 5 episodes in and we get this already. I wanted to see Todd sue the fuck out of Parker for stealing his machine and almost having it slide off a cliff.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What is it with this show being on a few weeks, and then disappear for weeks at a time. Think I'm just about done with this show.

My only morbid curiosity is to see if the gold prices have started to catch up with these guys.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It's their summer thing.. i think they've done it every season so far. When it comes back in October it'll be back to status quo, with all the miners getting their stuff every episode, instead of just Todd being a jerkoff.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hehe now to see if Todd and crew can top the jungle gold idiots and actually get murdered by the state or local gangs. The jungle gold thing was hilarious they finally get setup to actually mine for some gold again and then a nation wide man hunt for their arrest goes out and they have to make a run for it.

Merrith

Trailers for new season have started up. Nice to see Dave on his own (maybe?)...but what the fuck is up with Evil Twin Parker look?

Merrith

Kind of crazy Parker is pushing 1000 ounces already this season and it's like "meh" since he's only halfway to his stated goal of 2000. 230 ounce clean up though is pretty crazy. I really wish Dave had stuck it to Todd and not gone with him, but if Dave is somehow successful being a partner I can live with Todd finding success even if he's a giant douche. The thing that blows my mind though is how much money/gold some of these crews spend in order to keep mining. I wonder how much profit they really clear in a season when you're already owing 100 ounces from the jump to someone, plus 200 more, etc.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Are Todd and crew back in the Klondike now? I stopped watching a season or so ago and last I remember they were trying to get gold in South America or some place like that.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Kind of crazy Parker is pushing 1000 ounces already this season and it's like "meh" since he's only halfway to his stated goal of 2000. 230 ounce clean up though is pretty crazy. I really wish Dave had stuck it to Todd and not gone with him, but if Dave is somehow successful being a partner I can live with Todd finding success even if he's a giant douche. The thing that blows my mind though is how much money/gold some of these crews spend in order to keep mining. I wonder how much profit they really clear in a season when you're already owing 100 ounces from the jump to someone, plus 200 more, etc.
Yeah, it seems a little disingenuous when they talk about all the gold that they make as if it's pure profit. Obviously that machinery uses a crazy amount of diesel every day not to mention wages and equipment/depreciation.

Tony was a good replacement for the Dakota boys this season. I liked the Dakota boys but Tony is way more interesting.

Have they ever showed where these guys live? Is there like a man camp or something on site? Do they have to make their own food or does someone cook for them? I was just wondering about that Friday night.

It's interesting to compare the entrepreneurs with the employees on this show. People like to just collect a paycheck and not take any risk, but all the peons are working just as hard as the bosses and barely get anything for it. Parker and Gene are a great example. Gene obviously has more knowledge and way more experience than Parker and they are both working similar hours but obviously Parker is getting far more compensated because he has the balls to dive into shit and take risks. Gene's probably pushing 50 and working for a teenager while Parker is probably going to be a multimillionaire by 30 thanks in large part to Gene who he is probably paying $50K a year.

Todd and Dave are even more that way. Todd is a bumbling idiot but he's running the show while Dave is the brains of the operation and he's been working for wages all this time. It's nice to see him finally get a piece of the pie this year.

Merrith

Are Todd and crew back in the Klondike now? I stopped watching a season or so ago and last I remember they were trying to get gold in South America or some place like that.
Yes...after failing miserably in South America (think they ended up with somewhere between 2-20 ounces for the entire season, plus some tiny ass diamonds they thought would be worth money but were really not worth much at all) last season, Todd and his dad put in the work to somehow get granted another claim (although they've promised out gold to the claim owner before they'd even mined up an ounce). Test holes on it looked good and they had a decent start, causing Todd to go beg Dave and the rest of his old crew to come back and work with him. Dave was with Freddy at Freddy's mine Carmacks, but Freddy told Dave that if he could get in with Todd as a partner that Todd's new claim might make it worth his while. Dave came in with a bunch of machinery, they promised even more gold to Freddy for use of his giant new wash plant, and they just had about a 100 ounce cleanup. With half a season to go, looks like Todd and Dave could end up with a productive season if they get locked in with the new wash plant.

Merrith

Yeah, it seems a little disingenuous when they talk about all the gold that they make as if it's pure profit. Obviously that machinery uses a crazy amount of diesel every day not to mention wages and equipment/depreciation.

Tony was a good replacement for the Dakota boys this season. I liked the Dakota boys but Tony is way more interesting.

Have they ever showed where these guys live? Is there like a man camp or something on site? Do they have to make their own food or does someone cook for them? I was just wondering about that Friday night.

It's interesting to compare the entrepreneurs with the employees on this show. People like to just collect a paycheck and not take any risk, but all the peons are working just as hard as the bosses and barely get anything for it. Parker and Gene are a great example. Gene obviously has more knowledge and way more experience than Parker and they are both working similar hours but obviously Parker is getting far more compensated because he has the balls to dive into shit and take risks. Gene's probably pushing 50 and working for a teenager while Parker is probably going to be a multimillionaire by 30 thanks in large part to Gene who he is probably paying $50K a year.

Todd and Dave are even more that way. Todd is a bumbling idiot but he's running the show while Dave is the brains of the operation and he's been working for wages all this time. It's nice to see him finally get a piece of the pie this year.
I think they did a special on the living situations one season on the pre-show. Focused a lot on the Hoffman mine if I remember right.

Not sold on Tony over Dakota boys. Just seems like weeks of "taking apart the dredge" with nothing going on. He's a great character I'd just like to see him actually do more real mining rather than curse at his crew to tear apart the dredge and drive into Parker's mine to take his tithe every week.

I think Parker has a lot of knowledge as far as running a full mine, Gene is just a great nuts and bolts guy who can get the machinery jobs done. Good point about the working peons just getting paid wages though, I'd love to know how big the gap is between the partners like Dave and Todd versus the rest of their crew.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think parker is probably the one with the most future on that show. He has a good work ethic and most of his issues are simply due to youth and in some cases trying to lead much older men which tends to make him a bit more shrill than necessary. With time and some success and he has had two pretty good seasons that show he at least knows the nuts and bolts pretty well I think he will mature into somebody a lot like his grandpa over time which is a good thing.

I will be curious if tony can get his dredge up and going that whole project for him is mostly a for fun thing to try something he wanted to and got some funding to do it. With his gold mines he already has its not much of an issue if it succeeds or flops.

Apparently the Dakota boys are not in this season because they wanted to get their own show or better deal. Of all the people on the show though those guys never got hardly any gold even with todds disaster last year they at least had one year where they got a pretty solid quantity of gold. From a TV show perspective having somebody like Todd helps a lot simply because he is such a clueless buffoon people will watch to see how he fails.

Merrith

The Dakota boys would have been interesting if they had gotten their pipe dream claim going way up in that tough to mine spot. Weren't they pretty much out of options though mining where they had been?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I think their main problem was always that they had a shitty claim. They seemed competent enough but they didn't have as much personality as the other groups even if they were more likable. I hope Tony's dredge gets fired up by the end of the season. I would love to see that thing running although I have to think he's going to wind up sinking some engines and shit into it when they try to get all that ancient machinery to work again.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
From what they showed on the coming in the second half of the season at very least the gold dredge gets put back together and starts up what it does gold wise its hard to say but it does look like it gets completed.