Gold Rush (Discovery)

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like Tony doesn't want the show around his normal mining operation. For the most part his portion of the show is always away from his regular stuff.(granted I haven't seen all of the episodes)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Seems like Tony doesn't want the show around his normal mining operation. For the most part his portion of the show is always away from his regular stuff.(granted I haven't seen all of the episodes)
I don't think his regular mining operation would make a good show. People who know what they are doing and run a profitable business makes boring fucking TV.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't think his regular mining operation would make a good show. People who know what they are doing and run a profitable business makes boring fucking TV.
This is true, it's way more fun watching Todd fuck up or breakdowns from the mines using old equipment with no real backups. Then you get to see how good their engineer guys are to pull something out of their ass to keep shit running.

I wonder how many mines Tony visits like Parker's to collect his % anyways. Dude probably doesn't have to do shit if he doesn't want to.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can make drama out of anything. I'm sure Tony's mine has breakdowns and people that disagree with each other. There's no such thing as running machinery with no breakdowns. That said, Tony running around swearing like crazy is kind of the draw so if he's not there it doesn't make much sense to introduce a whole new cast of characters.

Merrith

Tony is a great character. I do hope we get to see the dredge actually pull some gold out of the ground. If it ended up working out would be pretty cool to see.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
They showed his winter house in Arizona at the beginning of this season, looked pretty damn pimp

Merrith

Kind of excited for this season. After Todd's comeback last year, might have all 3 of the main operations (Parker, Todd, Tony) all pulling some serious gold out of the ground this season. Really want to see if the dredge can pull out big gold like Tony thinks it can too.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Just started watching this show. I couldn't stand Deadliest Catch but for some reason I like this show a lot. Watching re-runs so no clue what order I have been watching them in.

Merrith

Just started watching this show. I couldn't stand Deadliest Catch but for some reason I like this show a lot. Watching re-runs so no clue what order I have been watching them in.
The short backstory for the 3 guys they're covering now is...Todd Hoffman and the Hoffman crew came up to Alaska super green, didn't get much of anything first year or two. Then they finally had the first "big" year of any of the crews with around ~900 ounces. Todd got greedy, probably was doing coke, and decided they were going to go pipe dreaming jungle mining in South America and basically completely struck out. Somehow made it back to the Klondike last year and convinced his crew to return with him and his dad, ended up getting like ~1350 ounces in a pretty nice season. Todd can be kind of stupid, but somehow talks people into helping him out all the time. His partner, Dave, is basically the man and anyone watching the show thinks Dave is cool as fuck and should have his own operation.

Parker is this young kid who started out working on his grandfather's mine which was kind of small potatoes. He had some small seasons until 2 years ago he moved up to the Klondike with the big boys and made a deal with Tony to mine on land he owns. He became the new king of the heap getting over 1000 ounces his first time out up there, then over 2500 ounces last year. He's annoyed though at how big of a cut Tony takes from their deal, and all of the demands he makes on how it should be mine, some of which makes the work more expensive for Parker (not that Tony cares, he just wants to get as much gold out of that ground as possible). Parker also completely overworked his guys last year, and his main boss/engineer isn't coming back.

Tony is short version pretty big land owner up there and is trying to bring back the old way of mining with this huge dredge he took apart and moved/rebuilt last year. He hired away Parker's boss from last year to help run the dredge. Curious to see if the dredge really can hold up over a full season of mining because it makes it seem easy as fuck cost wise once it's set up and going.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't know why but I love this show. I laughed in the premier when Dave said "I don't want to do anything stupid this year". Good luck buddy, you are partnered with Todd and doing stupid things is what he does.

Watched a few episodes from the early seasons and I was pretty surprised how small potatoes everybody was compared to what they were doing now. I didn't watch S1 and I didn't realize that the Dakota boys were the big bad miners that crushed Todd's dreams for the first time.

Parker is definitely my favorite. It will be interesting to see how he does with the new crew or if they just wind up drinking beer and trying to screw the one girl all summer. I like Tony but he seems kind of manufactured to me. Maybe he really is like that but I feel like he is hamming it up for the cameras.

Merrith

Yeah was crazy seeing how little gold they were getting the first few seasons. Also was kind of funny looking back on last season, even though Parker was kind of a dick about them staying the extra week to get more gold Gene and the other guys were shitting on his choice of ground but they ended up getting like 471 ounces in one cleanup from it so was pretty clear he was right about where to mine that last week.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
That shit between Tony and Parker was so dramatic and convenient I can't believe it wasn't scripted.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Is the old guy who took the land out from under Todd and crew in the eairler seasons still around? I stopped watching the year they went to South America...though I liked it when they went there. I wish they would again to be honest.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Is the old guy who took the land out from under Todd and crew in the eairler seasons still around? I stopped watching the year they went to South America...though I liked it when they went there. I wish they would again to be honest.
no they took off right around then cause they didn't like the producers telling them to do stupid dangerous shit for the cameras... apparently they were gonna film (themselves or with other producers?) their find up in the mountains but I never heard anything more about that. They were my favorite crew I'm bummed they're gone.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still watch this show on occasion, but it just strikes me how someone like Todd can keep a business of that scale running. The guy is a walking fuckup. Seems clueless to what he is doing, makes stupid mistakes constantly, yet somehow keeps the lights on. Dave seems to be extremely competent and was brought on as a partner with Todd. My question is, why the hell did Dave agree to it? What the fuck does Todd bring to the table? Dave could be running the entire site / crew and not have to split partnership costs with a walking liability.

*Side note, Todd pisses me off more when he goes all team jesus every episode and prays for success. Want a miracle? Stop making stupid fucking decisions.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I still watch this show on occasion, but it just strikes me how someone like Todd can keep a business of that scale running. The guy is a walking fuckup. Seems clueless to what he is doing, makes stupid mistakes constantly, yet somehow keeps the lights on. Dave seems to be extremely competent and was brought on as a partner with Todd. My question is, why the hell did Dave agree to it? What the fuck does Todd bring to the table? Dave could be running the entire site / crew and not have to split partnership costs with a walking liability.

*Side note, Todd pisses me off more when he goes all team jesus every episode and prays for success. Want a miracle? Stop making stupid fucking decisions.
I think the majority of them are already wealthy. The whole on the verge of bankruptcy is all bullshit for the major players. This is basically a hobby for Todd and jesus crew. It takes a lot of fucking money to get an operation like that started and to fuck up as much as they do and still be able to keep coming back.

Merrith

I think the majority of them are already wealthy. The whole on the verge of bankruptcy is all bullshit for the major players. This is basically a hobby for Todd and jesus crew. It takes a lot of fucking money to get an operation like that started and to fuck up as much as they do and still be able to keep coming back.
I don't know, I feel like Todd manages to con people into thinking he's some serious miner so they loan him money for equipment and shit. Dave last season was talking about how he borrowed money from his family to come in as a partner with all the new equipment and how at the end of the year he'd be paying them back in gold. I'm sure none of them are really bankrupt or whatever, but I don't think they're pocketing as much of the profits as we might think they should be.