Good Anime Movies

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Surprised no one mentioned Berserk: The Golden Arc, 3 movies Egg of the King, Battle for Doldrey, and Advent

The Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn movie series is pretty good if you like Gundam, or are into the UC timeline. Probably some of the best Gundam animation to date.

The Evangelion movies are good too, arguably better than the series. More so just puts more detail, and is going further than the series.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Eden of the East? Think that is the name, it has some good movie spin offs but I think it requires you to watch the anime..

Also I'll never understand why Evangelion is considers good, fuckin horrible main character surrounded by the dumbest cast of illogical fucks.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also I'll never understand why Evangelion is considers good, fuckin horrible main character surrounded by the dumbest cast of illogical fucks.
Right there with you. I can't think of any anime that I hated more.

Szlia

Eden of the East? Think that is the name, it has some good movie spin offs but I think it requires you to watch the anime.
The Eden Of The East movies are not spin-offs, they are the end of the story that began in the TV show. Great show and great movies, but there is very little point in watching the movies by themselves.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I think it is a love/hate relation with Eva, the series I think is a huge contributor for that. That ending was pure balls(supposed low budget, and thats where it shows), and makes you feel like you wasted a huge amount of time and is definitely the definition of anti-climatic. EoE was essentially the reworked ending, but was just a giant middle finger instead from Anno. Only way I made peace with the ending was believing that Shinji really did die, cause hes a bitch. I think the praise mostly comes from how influential the original series was regarding the mid 90's. It's a deconstruction of harem and mecha type animes, also tackles things like philosophy and religion. A lot of animes after have pull some sort of influences from it. But for the most part, it's Anno that really makes it what it is, his direct response to the whole thing regarding fans and fame. He is someone who has openly stated he despises the otaku culture, and goes on from there to gold trolling. But who the hell am I kidding, I don't endorse it as the greatest thing ever. It has about the same amount of acclaim as Madoka, and I dragged my face through the first three episodes to only happily continue when Mami got her shit bit off.

tumblr_mlu6jjPMc41qavd02o1_500.gif

tumblr_mlu6jjPMc41qavd02o2_500.gif

The Rebuild is just good animation, same bitchass Shinji to hate. Still has one of the greatest conceptual design for a mech, let alone a biomech going berserk mode. I usually dislike a lot mechs out side of maybe the realm of Universal Century, Macross, VOTOMs, and Patlabor.

edit; Also if it isn't a selling factor, Kazuya Tsurumaki of FLCL fame is also behind the animation for Rebuild.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Macross is my jam - also they recently had a mech show where the guy comes from the future into the past, that series was pretty tits also - I dont mind mech shows but its not something i like to watch alot off because most of it comes out pretty derpy. Knights of Sidonia is considered a mech show and its on Netflix, not a movie but its pretty awesome.

Ive tried watching Eva a few times, and each time i spend more time wondering why its loved instead of trying to get immersed into it.

Space Battleship Yamato recently had a bunch of released in the form of BD's, its an old story retold as far as i know.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Macross Plus is a decent old-school movie, has some pretty good aerial battles in it.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Macross is so good. Not sure of that one, the last one I was really excited for but I didn't watch was Break Blade, I watched the OVAs before. I think last season? they officially started releasing a series, I don't know how much it differed, if not just lose actual animation quality for a tv slot.

Knights of Sidonia is greatness, Nihei's work is amazing. I wish we got to see either Blame! or Biomega, but Sidonia is next best.

I'll also endorse Redline, definitely one of my favorite animators currently(Koike). He's also slated to direct Lupin the Third: Jigen's Gravestone; much excite. Another work of his for an opening for the movie Party 7, which was actually directed(Ishii) by the guy who did the screen play for Redline.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Tekkon Kinkreet
x867OdY.jpg

Fantastically animated with a sandbox world type of feel. Two brothers, Kuro and Shiro, fight to keep control of the streets of Takaramachi from groups of warring gangs. Some amazingly well animated fight scenes.

Sword of the Stranger
vQEh2NN.png

Follows Kotaro, a young boy who is hunted by a group of swordsmen from Ming Dynasty China for mysterious reasons. Among the group is a fearsome Western fighter named Luo-Lang, whose only desire is to find a worthy opponent. Due to circumstances, Kotaro and his dog meet Nanashi, a nameless ronin who is haunted by memories of his past which have led him to avoid drawing his sword ever again. Again really well animated fight sequences

Colorful
3VM657c.jpg

Upon reaching the train station to death, a dejected soul is informed that he is 'lucky' and will have another chance at life. He is placed in the body of a 14-year-old boy named Makoto Kobayashi, who has just committed suicide. Watched over by a neutral spirit named Purapura, the soul must figure out what his greatest sin and mistake in his former life was before his time limit in Makoto's body runs out.

A Letter to Momo
EXrhSul.jpg

Momo Miyaura is a shy and imaginative 11-year-old girl who is suffering because of her father's recent death and the resultant extreme changes in her life. From the big city of Tokyo, Momo's family moves to her mother's childhood home, a remote island named Shio where she stumbles upon another world of beings.

Wings of Honneamise
UU27grv.jpg

In an alternative Earth, a young astronaut participates in a controversial fledgling space program. Well animated and wonderfully fleshed out world. Feels like (and is as good as) a Ghibli move, but it's not.

Memories
79CZpw3.jpg

Memories is made up of three separate science-fiction stories. In the first, "Magnetic Rose," four space travelers are drawn into an abandoned spaceship that contains a world created by one woman's memories. In "Stink Bomb," a young lab assistant accidentally transforms himself into a human biological weapon set on a direct course for T?ky?. The final episode, "Cannon Fodder," depicts a day in the life of a city whose entire purpose is the firing of cannons at an unseen enemy.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
Metropolis
xgVqwA5.jpg

Filled with the stylings of art deco, 20's swing styled jazz, and references to sumerian mythology, Metropolis is a wonderful experience in any genre. Taking place in Metropolis, a multi layered city reminiscent of a hybrid cross between "Blade Runner" Los Angeles and a level out of "Sonic 2" where robots serve man as a segregated lower working class. Keichi and his uncle are thrust into a world of mystery as they stumble upon a newly developed robot girl Tima, who just might be the link between two worlds

Origins Spirits of the Past
Qw4P50t.jpg

Takes place on a future Earth where genetically engineered plants have taken control of vast portions of the biosphere. Two friends, Agito and Cain, live in the tiny and relatively primitive Human zone. After the stumble upon a relic from the past deep within the woods, they are caught up in a conflict between radical human factions and sapient plant life. I thought it started very well and established a very interesting world but petered out toward the end

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Never really got in to anime, but have watched a few. Metropolis and Spirited Away were cool, does Triplets of Belleville count as anime? Really like that one for some reason, the art was wonky and the story was enjoyable, it was impressive how good it was and there is almost no dialogue at all. Saw them all in this tiny, really old, ran down theater in Indianapolis owned by some guy in his 70s/80s that only played animes, weird independent films, etc...pretty cool place.

Stuff I watched at home that I actually stuck with were Elfen Lied and Berserk. Elfen Lied had some pretty cool art, and some nice psychotic overly violent moments but every time the chicks gigantic tits popped out of her shirt I got worried someone would walk in the room and think I was a Searyx. Still mad Berserk just ended. I loved that series but wasn't committed enough to pick up the Manga to keep going.

khorum

Murder Apologist
LOL wtf, all of Otaku No Video is on youtube? It's the ultimate mockumentary about the birth of the 90's anime heyday in Japan...it's mostly animated but it does have filmed documentary segments about otaku (including a couple americans who moved to japan) and even became famous for exposing the insane cell theft trade. Essentially it's an autobiographical film about the creation of GAINAX: the main char is based on Hideaki Anno, and his fat dude sidekick is the guy who eventually becomes famous for fighting a trollwar on 2chan and resigning after he called it"like putting ones face next to an anus and breathing deep"whilst defending Gurenn Lagann's pilot. Ironically, dude was right, Gurenn Lagann became one of Gainax's greatest hits.

Anyways, the movie is pretty famous for satirizing a lot of the huge egos in the Tokyo animation industry and even has a few rising stars who would eventually found BONES, production IG, madhouse and other younger studios:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
This far in and no one has mentioned "Howl's Moving Castle" yet? Blasphemy!
Also, "Ninja Scroll" and of course "Akira."