Good Anime Movies

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Never really got in to anime, but have watched a few. Metropolis and Spirited Away were cool, does Triplets of Belleville count as anime? Really like that one for some reason, the art was wonky and the story was enjoyable, it was impressive how good it was and there is almost no dialogue at all. Saw them all in this tiny, really old, ran down theater in Indianapolis owned by some guy in his 70s/80s that only played animes, weird independent films, etc...pretty cool place.

Stuff I watched at home that I actually stuck with were Elfen Lied and Berserk. Elfen Lied had some pretty cool art, and some nice psychotic overly violent moments but every time the chicks gigantic tits popped out of her shirt I got worried someone would walk in the room and think I was a Searyx. Still mad Berserk just ended. I loved that series but wasn't committed enough to pick up the Manga to keep going.
Watch the Golden Age Arc, I've never been so satisfied w/ Berserk. At first I was thinking computer animated trash, but fuck.
tumblr_n6e2v4SdKn1qh6swzo1_500.gif

Also, for the people that mentioned anything Kon, or haven't seen anything Satoshi Kon. Interesting honours and summary of his body of work.

Szlia

The Tale of Princess Kaguya cost $50m to make and grossed $25m in Japan. It's pretty crazy when you consider that in Japan:

Earthsea $64m
Ponyo $164m
Arrietty $110m
Poppy Hill $56m
The Wind Rises $120m

When Marnie Was There, the latest Ghibli movie, also does not look like it will draw much people. But still, The Wind Rises has a budget of $30m ($22m for Poppy Hill and Earthsea) and these gross numbers are domestic only and theaters only, so I am not exactly sure what their deal is. Only they totally messed up the royalties on the toy lines or foreign rights of their movies, it does not seem at first glance that even two under performing movies in a row could kill the studio. Another possibility is that these wikipedia/box office mojo numbers are extremely bogus or that their financial troubles are not related to the movie production. A third one is that they are not in financial troubles and it's just about shareholders being shareholders ("Wouldn't two guy in an office just managing the royalties of previous works be a lot more cost efficient than making new works?").

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Hayao Miyazaki is what 75? Japanese are like elves though and 75 is like 35 in the U.S. And besides him there is one other great animator at Ghibli, I think he did Grave of the Fireflies.

I've been listening to some anime podcasts and to get a profit on some of these movies, it's not as simple as you'd think. Some depend a lot on foreign licensing. And that competes with torrents, etc.

All I know is that it would be a shame if Ghibli shut down.

Szlia

I have a bad news for you: Miyazaki is 73 and Takahata who did Graves and the recent Kaguya is 78.

The future at Ghibli are Miyazaki's son Gor? (Earthsea, Poppy Hill) and Hiromasa Yonebayashi who directed Arrietty and the recent Marnie. Both in their '40s.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
My question is, are we still going to see a Nausicaa sequel of some sort. For the most part of the whole Ghibli closing its doors was mostly to stop generating new movies, versus maintaining its older IP; if not to regain ground of where the studio will go after Miyazaki actually departs copmletely. Also read somewhere that they'll be focusing on series? versus actual movies? Idk where I read that, but I think they have a series coming out relatively within the next season or so, based off a childrens book. But also on the whole Nausicaa, Miyazaki gave the greenlight to Anno to basically making the sequel, whom was also the key animator for the first and unrelated MC voice actor for The Wind Rises.

Regardless, in due time we'll end up seeing movies from them again, maybe contracting people outside of Ghibli to put the Studio Ghibli brand on it(Heres to hoping Akiyuki Shinbo, if they can pull him away from strong otaku style.) Similar to how we see Disney with the likes of Pixar, I think this is part of the whole on going Miyazaki retirement with now Takahata right behind him. It would be devastating for it to outright disappear, being such a strong household name, and a very important studio to the likes of any animator in existence right now.

I'm only pissed cause to this day, Lupin the Third Castle of Cagliostro never gets recognized, maybe because its one part MonkeyPunch, but still god damnit, the greatness.

Szlia

Apparently it's more about taking a break to figure out what to do next:Studio Ghibli Is Not Dead Yet

As for Castle of Cagliostro, I think it's a mix between not being a Ghibli movie (it started with Castle in the Sky) and not having some of the most obvious miyazakiesque themes and aesthetic (like Nausica? who is also not a Ghbli movie, but that is based on an universe that Miyazaki used in a couple manga). You will noticed though that it was quoted on post 6 of this thread by yours truly so 'never' is a bit strong a word!

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Lol yeah I just found the tumblr translation version with some additives beyond that article. Supposedly there are a bit of job cuts going on and such due to revenue, and they're looking or were talking about basically going back to what the Studio use to be when they were basically pulling in freelance artists. I tried finding it but can't :c But I feel I wasn't too far off the mark with Ghibli working like Disney/Pixar and pull in other animators, writers, ect and i'm really hoping they'll try to do a sense of collaborative works with all the animators within Japan(and maybe outside), cause there are a ton of amazing animators over there.

Shinbo being foremost favorite of mine, pound for pound style. Most notable fame, Magicia Madoka, but personal favorite Sensei Zetsubou. Be weird to pull him from the heavily otaku and ecchi like scenario, but his animation work is amazing. His use of bring in the real life inside the animation, static patterns, and vectored colors and shapes, as well as a lot of calligraphy cuts.

Then a rising favorite, Masaaki Yuasa(whom also has influences from Cagliostro XD) notable works being recently onboard for Space Dandy, Mind Game, Tatami Galaxy, Kaiba and most recently Ping Pong the Animation, which was real good 12ep. Hes extremely good at making colorful acid trip like sequences, heavily used in Dandy. Great use of color and just overall woobly effects. If you've seen Champloo, he was the animating director for Ep9, which was the episode Mugen finds the tribe of mountain monks? and they're growing a field of pot, shit burns down sequence pursues. I think Yuasa might fit better as a collaborative effort with Ghibli has his body of work is pretty diverse and can definitely deliver a very enjoyable film geared towards a young audience, while remaining adult like themes.
tumblr_static_high2.gif

And of course if you've seen Mindgame, you know. Thats is a movie thats definitely worth a watch.

And I saw <33, was more meaning towards articles that praise Ghibli, its never mentioned. It recently got its collectors edition made, still waiting for mine to arrive. Comes w/ multi-audio track with Hayter and Yamada(i'd imagine other languages, I just don't know their VA's), and should come w/ a small artbook with a bunch of movie posters and other artworks revolving around the movie.
cagliostro+bd+ghibli.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm in the minority, i rarely like a ghibli movie, usually the stories are steeped in waist deep in old folklore, and isn't compelling. trust me, i've given nearly every ghibli a movie a chance since i saw grave of the fireflies over 20 years ago, who shows that shit to a 10 year old? (my sister thats who, she was awesome got me all the latest animes in the 90s) but man these ghibli movies are hard to watch, maybe i need a spawn to watch it with.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
I take it back about the patlabor 2 movie. It's adult, but the story is really dry with all of the action in the last 20 minutes. Well animated and lots of cool robots.

Going to watch Doomed Megalopolis tonight.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Doomed megalopolis is an absolute masterpiece... dunno if it had been rec'd earlier but it's definitely one of the top 5 from the 90's. Huge oversight on my part.

Watch it subbed but I recall the old dubbed version wasn't a complete travesty. Definitely subbed if you can find it.

Szlia

From the '90s there was a lesser known movie that I really enjoyed back then, but I don't remember it much, so maybe take it with a grain of salt:Venus Wars. Anyone saw that?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah... It had been based on the latest manga from the creator of Gundam, but it had these massive ogre-like tanks vs mono bikes instead of mecha and space zionists. The movie was kinda disjointed but did a fair attempt at adapting the manga.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Initial D, the racing anime, is getting restarted. The anime finished, so they're telling the whole story again with a series of animated movies. Trying to bring in new viewers by making it flashy and such. You may like that. I think the first one hits theaters next month.