Good Anime Movies

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Light-hearted is not the word I would use to describe a movie about the struggles of a single mother and the difficulties of finding your place when you grow up different than other kids!
Its animu light hearted!

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Speaking of not light hearted movies, Makoto Shinkai's best didn't seemed to be posted: 5 CM's Per Second (well he released it in three different segments then a final one hour ish movie). His earlier two movies which were posted here were great too, especially the "voices of a distant star" but he didn't have much resources for that. They did redo it with professional voice actors like the version i saw but the animation was still just himself.

5 CM's is imo his magnum opus it was the culmination of his unique story telling along with his abilities as an animator with proper resources (which again is small comparatively in team size but his work is amazing). Pretty good story, the end is somewhat confusing but it makes sense when you think about it. The only hint I can give is the following: In the very last second of the final montage look at the main dude's facial expression.

it's not sad ending at all as the story is about moving on and not about getting the girl. After a failed relationship and quitting his job he is wondering about his old love again and he finally resolves to get over her at that very last moment because he knows now that she is content and happy because she did as well.

The Garden of Word's by Shinkai was equally gorgeous and the story was good but not at the same level as 5 CM. I would still watch it because it's only 40 minutes of quality.

Szlia

Posts 19 and 4 of the thread, just sayin', just sayin'
smile.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children): Let's start by the problem. This is a werewolf story (or more exactly a story involving werewolves), the character design for the wolf forms is a bit crap and at times (luckily very rarely) it steps dangerously into furry territory. Other than that, it is an amazing movie about the struggles of a single mom and about choosing the life you want to live. What surprised me the most though is the quality, inventiveness and grace of the film making. Four stars!
My wife and I watched this a few months back. The village that the girl and her kids moved to is very similar to the place in Yamagata that her grandparents live (They're farmers). We both really enjoyed the movie, and my wife cried at the end when a decision was made (that should be vague enough to not give a spoiler). Very good movie.
She also told me that she refuses to watch it again because of how sad it made her, but I really liked it. Thanks for the suggestion.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well.. if it means she'll be running around naked for two thirds of the movie sign me in.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I just marathoned 2nd Gig over the past 3 nights. Fuck such a good show. The two season are in my HOF pyramid. I don't know if there is a perfect casting. The world has to be right. If it's after the movie source material we won't get to see the rest of Section 9. But we'll get Batou.

Szlia

By the director of Snow White and the Huntsman! That's promising! In all fairness though the latest live action efforts by Oshii have been pretty bad, so even him doing the live action version of his anime would have been bad news. The music must be Kenji Kawai though or some serious heavyweight like maybe Howard Shore.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Meh, Movie is guaranteed to be shit(not because of her but because this will never work as a live action movie). Hell they might as well sign Keanu too.
He could be Paz maybe.

I'm going through the Borders 1-4 at the moment myself. SAC 2nd Gig is definitely my favorite anime followed by Darker than Black.

Szlia

Which snooty cambodian auteur filmmaker would you rather make it instead?
Snow White and the Huntsman had its moments, but it was a mess and it was Rupert Sanders' first and only feature film. Maybe he'll surprise everyone, but that seems like very big shoes to fill.

I am not sure who I would recommend for the job, but probably not Rithy Panh. He is an amazing cambodian director (in fact the only contemporary cambodian director well known internationally), but his forte is documentaries about the life in Cambodia after the Khmer Rouge. I guess that's as good a time as any to recommend Rithy Panh's 'S21: The Khmer Rouge Death Machine' that contain one of the most amazing shot in the history of film. For the more adventurous I also enjoyed 'The Burnt Theater'.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
there's hope he directed this
Also seems like he was married to snow whites mother (liberty ross) and cheated on her with snow white (kristen stewart), while filming.
sure why not.