GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Which is why Dany has to be weakened somewhat for the entire Dany/Westeros vs the WW war not to be dragonfire just burning the entire army of the dead in like five minutes. Currently she is at her absolute strongest. The Slavers have been brought to heel. The entire Dothraki race has been subjugated and pledged to her and the Iron Fleet has arrived to bring her ships.

Anything in Westeros is hilariously weak at this point comparatively.
And Aegon invaded with much less (I think his army was 2000-3000 men + 3 dragons) and conquered all of the 7 kingdoms. Dany lands with 50k+ dothraki + unsullied + dragons... it's going to be a retard slap-fight to see who can surrender to her first.

And aside from the white walkers themselves the wights should be no threat to Dany either because dragonfire. So...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I definitely think we've reached a point were a lot of the people here are starting the episode with the plate of cat shit already under their nose. Possibly they started the whole season that way since it's the first one that is ahead of the books. Seriously folks, it's a lot more enjoyable to watch TV shows for the story and not pick them apart so much. It's also a lot more enjoyable to read this thread when there aren't a bunch of people doing that.
We have basically gone from watching Breaking Bad fantasy version with the GRRM written stuff to watching a Avengers movie turned into a TV show. Avengers isn't bad, it is even probably good, it just isn't anywhere near on the level of story-telling that GOT was early on. It should be ok to acknowledge that the show has fallen off, it hasn't fallen into a ditch and it is still good but it isn't great anymore.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
At this point the only real mystery is how it all wraps up, who's left standing in the end. Dragons would make the final battle ez-mode, should be some drama with a couple killed off beforehand, otherwise final battle will be a snore-fest.

As with everything in GoT, it doesn't seem fitting that everything will be wrapped up nicely in the end. I think the only suitable ending is if WW invasion kills off 99% of the population and you have about 1k or less people remaining to rebuild Westeros. Total elimination of houses, thrones, etc. Civilization starts anew and rebuilds. Drama eliminated in the meantime since focus is on rebuilding & survival. In a few generations you'll get a new "Game of Thrones".

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And Aegon invaded with much less (I think his army was 2000-3000 men + 3 dragons) and conquered all of the 7 kingdoms. Dany lands with 50k+ dothraki + unsullied + dragons... it's going to be a retard slap-fight to see who can surrender to her first.

And aside from the white walkers themselves the wights should be no threat to Dany either because dragonfire. So...
This is where Euron started becoming the foil in the book. With mad occult powers and relics retrieved from Valyria. But book Euron didn't have half the Ironborn actively rebelling against him like Theon and Yara are doing. The only Westeros armies that don't seem to be completely fucked are Dorne (small in size in the books but they can do whatever in the show), The Vale, The Lannister Army (questionable strength, but they have at least 8000 in the show to go about with), The Reach (Tyrell and his bannermen).

I have no idea how strong any of those forces are but a foil is definitely needed and Euron is likely to foot the bill in the show as well. As he is one of the few characters they haven't developed into anything yet.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Sansa obviously promised littlefinger something for his help, the preview from next week made it seem like he wanted to "collect" on what was owed. whether that's marriage, winterfell, whatever. This is probably why she was hoping the Vale wouldn't need to intervene so she wouldn't have to make good on the bet?

or I could be off base and misreading things.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sansa obviously promised littlefinger something for his help, the preview from next week made it seem like he wanted to "collect" on what was owed. whether that's marriage, winterfell, whatever. This is probably why she was hoping the Vale wouldn't need to intervene so she wouldn't have to make good on the bet?

or I could be off base and misreading things.
Clearly Sansa found LSH and promised to marry her to Littlefinger

khalid

Unelected Mod
We have basically gone from watching Breaking Bad fantasy version with the GRRM written stuff to watching a Avengers movie turned into a TV show. Avengers isn't bad, it is even probably good, it just isn't anywhere near on the level of story-telling that GOT was early on. It should be ok to acknowledge that the show has fallen off, it hasn't fallen into a ditch and it is still good but it isn't great anymore.
This show is doing things that no other show on TV is really even attempting to do. It has a ridiculously large cast and a silly number of plots going at the same time. Yet even with that huge cast, the acting is very good and we see episodes like this one that do something that only movies have succeeded at before.

BrutulTM is right. Once we got past the books, many people are coming into this with a chip on their shoulder. We saw a similar thing with people getting bent out of shape at "changes" from the books in the show, where the show was actually the same as the book. The people complaining how dumb it was to make Loras gay for example.

The show is far from perfect, but Tenks coming in to complain about one of the best episodes the show has ever had, its just silly.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This show is doing things that no other show on TV is really even attempting to do. It has a ridiculously large cast and a silly number of plots going at the same time. Yet even with that huge cast, the acting is very good and we see episodes like this one that do something that only movies have succeeded at before.

BrutulTM is right. Once we got past the books, many people are coming into this with a chip on their shoulder. We saw a similar thing with people getting bent out of shape at "changes" from the books in the show, where the show was actually the same as the book. The people complaining how dumb it was to make Loras gay for example.

The show is far from perfect, but Tenks coming in to complain about one of the best episodes the show has ever had, its just silly.
Honestly most of the shit can be laid right at GRRM's feet anyway, it was him who totally splintered the plot lines and created this ridiculous sprawl we had in books 4/5. The show runners have to wrap this up and they don't have 2500 pages to do it in, they have 10 hours. Some shit is going to be zip zap this happens the end. Had they clipped down the sprawl in the first place and not really followed books 4/5, the storyline could be cleaner. Having shit happen like a the whole Dorne storyline only to completely abandon it is just wasteful BS.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Having shit happen like a the whole Dorne storyline only to completely abandon it is just wasteful BS.
Yeah, Dorne was dumb but I think they were fooling themselves into thinking they had more time.

However, remember all the bitching people were doing about how they had to do Dorne? People complaining about where Euron was, he is just so badass!! Hell, still got people wishing for Lady Stoneheart, that we should have spent more time on Blackfish, etc.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I mine as well nitpick too.... how the fuck did Sansa know Ramsays dogs havent eaten in 7 days? She rode off and was out of earshot before he said it.

Anyway, I watched the episode again and the Dany scene with dragons was pretty awesome. It wasnt cheesy at all actually, in context of the first time we saw her ride Drogon. That droning sound that plays before her dragons breathe napalm is fucking hype.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Episode had so much good stuff. One of my favorite shots was Davos at the pyre with the rising sun almost looking like the pyre was on fire. Wonder if that was all natural or it got cgi'd a bit.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, Dorne was dumb but I think they were fooling themselves into thinking they had more time.

However, remember all the bitching people were doing about how they had to do Dorne? People complaining about where Euron was, he is just so badass!! Hell, still got people wishing for Lady Stoneheart, that we should have spent more time on Blackfish, etc.
Sure, but thats people who want a scene for scene re-make of the books. I think anybody reasonable realizes that isn't possible. And what they really "ought" to have done is hire an editor with some balls to completely trim down books 4/5 into maybe 1/2 a season, do some montages, and stick to the primary 4 storylines: Jamie/Cersei, Tyrion, Dany, and Jon. We've been off in the weeds following Arya, Brienne, Theon... and most of that shit turns out to not matter to the overall storyline. GRRM's books are fun to read because he's not constrained by space and the details are interesting. On a TV show it feels like someone cracked out on coke spooged out 80 characters and was like MAKE THEM ALL HA HA!

Siliconemelons

We can see from that outline of the books etc. that GRRM has spread this shit out for books and books and all of your "awesome! intriguing! character development and WORLD BUILDING" is really just explorative filler and bull. I will agree he had a unique hook and leveraged it to get his "generic fantasy novel #8273873821" published and into mass market but then he could not leave that hook behind or move away from it, so now its just stalling and filler and filler etc. etc. The show has no such luxury and is not planning on beating Frasier as longest running character in a TV series - so its cutting the fluff and focusing on moving forward.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Theon is necessary to make Ramsey a villain.

Brienne to remind Jaimie about honor and to give Tormund someone to eye fuck.

Arya, while her story was pretty poorly handled this season, still has potential. Similar to bringing back the Hound, there's still some story left to be told otherwise they would've left him for dead. Also, it's probably why LSH hasn't shown back up, she's a dead end and can be folded into other characters (i.e. Beric)

khalid

Unelected Mod
Theon, Ramsey, Brianne, yeah, we needed those, Tormund also.

What we didn't need was Dorne or much of the Iron Islands storyline at all.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So when Ramsay said he was a part of Sansa now, is she pregnant?

At first I wasn't sure, but then when I thought about her monologue about how his whole family and name would die off I thought the show might be throwing in a little heavy-handed foreshadowing.

God I hope so, that would be delicious.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't get people complaining about 'sprawl' from other plot lines in the books. I want to know about Dorne. I want there to be more about Qarth and Basilisk Isles and all sorts of shit. I want the entire fucking world to be involved. I think people want it all to be tied into a neat little bow with all the characters when the characters don't have to come together, just the nations or regions themself. Do a fucking Dorne revolt plot, sets up Sand Snakes Queens, have them send an army to dethrone the Lannister later, done. Don't need Arianne or whoever visiting Dany and joining her small council. Involve the geographic areas, get a character story going, fold it into the larger plot. We don't need Davos and Theon and Strong Belwas and Tyrion and Lady Mormont and Beric Dondarrion sitting at a fucking round table.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So when Ramsay said he was a part of Sansa now, is she pregnant?

At first I wasn't sure, but then when I thought about her monologue about how his whole family and name would die off I thought the show might be throwing in a little heavy-handed foreshadowing.

God I hope so, that would be delicious.
This has to happen and will happen. This will offset Littlefingers ambitions a bit and knock him down a peg, providing a permanent reminder of his mishandling of her. He will make advances to marry but then shes gonna be like "lol ok but im pregnant with Ramsays baby" and he is going to make that Carcetti face.