GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Jamie's speech was great and everything, but as my wife pointed out, was it really any surprise? Ned Stark is clearly all about honor to the point of absurdity(and it looks like Rob is his father's son), but after everything we'd heard about the Mad King, most people should realize Jamie didn't just kill him on a whim.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Also, wasn't Rob marching West to go after Casterly Rock in the books? That's where he actually met his wife in the books, not some random field nurse.
The campaign in the west happens during book/season 2. The original plan in book 3 is to march back north and retake what Greyjoy has captured; Frey has to be appeased so he will allow passage up the Neck.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Jaimie frames it perfectly to Briene: If Renly ordered you to kill your father and burn thousands of innocent women and children alive, could you really keep your vows?

This entire episode almost completely involved oaths/promises/codes and how the different characters reacted when faced with a situation that tested them. Barristan served, but wasn't proud. Robb sticks to principle, knowing it will hurt his army. Jon breaks a vow, although for good reasons. Of course Jaimie was the big one.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is nothing key about the cave scene.
Cave scene illustrates just how far Jon has fallen for Ygritte and how far he'll go to disregard his vows for her. The show didn't even give any hint that they were fucking outside of a throwaway line by Orell earlier in the episode.

They needed to show the cave scene because she's going to reference it when she's dying.

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Cave scene illustrates just how far Jon has fallen for Ygritte and how far he'll go to disregard his vows for her. The show didn't even give any hint that they were fucking outside of a throwaway line by Orell earlier in the episode.

They needed to show the cave scene because she's going to reference it when she's dying.
Jon has already killed another Night's Watch so that he may carry out his orders. If that wasn't breaking his vows, then surely fucking some wildling chick in order to continue obeying is not; besides the vow is only to not take wives or father children which is why leadership looks the other way when the men visit Mole Town's brothel. She will be dead shortly and has little influence on the character for the rest of the known story.

It's a throw away scene with no downstream effects.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Little influence? Hardly. One could argue that Ygritte was Jon's first true test of leadership. It's clear he loved her, but he was also thinking of the larger picture. I also don't think it's too much of a stretch to say she was instrumental in forming Jon's views on the Wildlings, which obviously came into play in the most recent book.

khalid

Unelected Mod
She will be dead shortly and has little influence on the character for the rest of the known story.
You should leave this thread if you haven't read the books. Oh wait, you did read the books and you think that? Then you should read all of Jon's chapters again.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Jamie's speech was great and everything, but as my wife pointed out, was it really any surprise? Ned Stark is clearly all about honor to the point of absurdity(and it looks like Rob is his father's son), but after everything we'd heard about the Mad King, most people should realize Jamie didn't just kill him on a whim.
No, I never thought it was on a whim for sure, but I didn't think it was as bad as he described. Stocking wildfire under peoples homes and the city in order to blow it up and burn it all whenever he felt like it. I just kinda thought he was crazy, his father sided against him in the war and he took the chance provided to him to kill the King as a last measure to end it. I didn't really think it was as bad as the picture he painted.

The whole scene is now probably my favorite of the series. (non action scene that is)

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's a throw away scene with no downstream effects.
1317091591285.jpg

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If the Red Wedding episode is good, the raging in the non spoiler thread and other places may be just as good as the show.
I don't even have hbo, and I'm content to wait for the blu-rays, but yeah, knowing the Red Wedding is coming this season, I'm having to keep a close eye on the threads here. The no-spoiler thread is going to be priceless.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The campaign in the west happens during book/season 2. The original plan in book 3 is to march back north and retake what Greyjoy has captured; Frey has to be appeased so he will allow passage up the Neck.
Thanks, I do recall now. They just didn't really touch on it at all on the show yet since they invented the new back story for the new wife for Rob. I wonder if anyone who hasn't read the books will see the Red Wedding coming.

Szlia

I think what is important is the flip side of the coin, that was already apparent before: Jaime takes prides in his abilities as a fighter, but through the seven kingdoms he is known for being the guy who killed an old insane man in the back. With his latest speech, it almost feels like he became out of bitterness the villain people claimed he was (still: incest, attempted child killing, ally killing).

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks, I do recall now. They just didn't really touch on it at all on the show yet since they invented the new back story for the new wife for Rob. I wonder if anyone who hasn't read the books will see the Red Wedding coming.
I think next week, we'll (Those who have read the books) will notice that something is afoot when Bolton has his dinner with Jaime

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
I just hope HBO doesn't spoil it themselves by advertising it like they did the battle for blackwater

My brother in law bought season 1 and 2 on my advice, and while he was reluctant at first, he bought them and lo and behold, watched the seasons in a matter of 2 days. Now he and my sister in law watch season 3 episodes every monday at my place.

Me and my wife read the books and we can't help but chuckle every time they speak so highly of Robb Stark....how great a leader he is, how they see him march into king's landing and avenge his father.

I didn't spoil anything about the red wedding because in a few weeks i will see his and my sister in law's ideas of Robb crash and burn. I honestly cannot wait to see their faces as the red wedding occurs....their expressions after beric's 96% rezz were absolutely golden...when they saw Ned Starks head tumble down they were yelling in outrage! Called me right after they saw it yelling "wtf man! What the hell! That was one of the good guys! What kind of show are we fucking watching here!?!?" After i was done laughing i told them that if tat shocked them, they better stop watching....but of course the show already had them in a tight grip. I am fairly sure they will lose all hope for the other characters' survival in the upcoming seasons. It is going to be awesome!

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I asked my wife what she thought Dany was going to do now that she's got an army, and she was like "get on the ships and go to where the Lannisters are, right?" It was all I could do not to crack up...

Although she is kinda seeing the red wedding coming, she said "oh that Frey guy is the one he was supposed to marry right, what's he going to do, marry twice? How's he going to fix that?"