GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

iannis

Musty Nester
They've telegraphed a Euron betrayal plenty hard. He's already been killing mercs on the trip over for laughs. He told his niece that he wasn't killing her because he wants someone around to appreciate his craftiness, when she tells him that he picked the wrong side he basically responds with "I picked my own side" and leaves her with "Well, it's time to go fuck a queen, BRB!".

At this point it will just be bad writing if Euron remains loyal because that pussy is soooooo strong.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
....The lighting of the Dothraki Arakh swords only to see the slowly get snuffed out by the unseen horde of undead was one of the most effectively chilling things I have ever seen on a movie or TV screen.
It certainly was.

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck, this is probably the best battle scene I've seen. Cinematography wise, the sense of dread and fear, I never felt like the living had any advantages, even when they lit the ditch us. It was truly survival horror. Arya in the library scene was amazing. The Dothraki charge at the start and watching the flames go out...made me clench my asscheeks. Fuck this was beautiful.

Some definitely gripes though:
Really would have liked more main characters killed off; Jorah...wasn't enough.
Bran...dude bro do something guy.
I thought Sam was supposed to be brave now...but for most of it he was a pussy

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Well, they have the White Walker's hair blow a little, which to me indicated she was running by.

However in the library scene they establish that her movement is so silent, that none of the Wights hear her. Her blood dropping made more sound and garnered more attention than her moving around.

Her killing him was maddening for one major reason...

Her stealth was so amazing that NOTHING was hearing her, but in the final attack...she yells?

Bitch you crazy? Stab the dude, no need to make noises. Shit you coulda done it when Theon was about to get railed.

He's running at him, yelling and then he ...stabs the night king? but why wasn't the night king even moving..

Then as the night king crumbles, Arya is seen behind him holding the dagger in his back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm pretty sure they gave ayra the kill because the others are already going to have big kills and they need to divy that up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So if the dothraki only just got +30fire lord damage, does that mean that they were gonna send out the calvary with regular weapons that didn't do shit? is doggie dead?

• 2Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I thought the battle was a little cliched at a lot of points. "Oh, hey look. It's the same shot of Jamie/Brienne/Tormund just fighting a nonstop end of wights one at a time. But this time they've moved from one place, to another!" like 3 times. It was like they were signing fucking autographs. Also, it totally looked like Daenarys used Jorah as a human shield to take a stab during their fight and I was like "Did she... damn." Kinda fucked, kinda respekt.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Why do you think she knew anything about that? She just stabbed him center mass, which is good for a kill or cripple against anyone, especially against White Walkers if youre using dragonglass or valerian steel. Sams Walker kill clearly shows that anywhere in the torso will do it, and probably the limbs too.

Faggots not GRRM doing the writing talked about it in the aftershow.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Welp, basically confirmed now without GRRM doing the writing this has turned into a total shit show. Yeah the battle and cinematography was great. But 8 years of buildup and it's just over like that? What was Bran even doing the whole time? How is every important character fighting surrounded by a pile of dead bodies and amazingly still alive? What a fucking joke.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Welp, basically confirmed now without GRRM doing the writing this has turned into a total shit show. Yeah the battle and cinematography was great. But 8 years of buildup and it's just over like that? What was Bran even doing the whole time? How is every important character fighting surrounded by a pile of dead bodies and amazingly still alive? What a fucking joke.

I think more characters should have died (probably to the White Walkers after they entered the keep). But I don't know why it's that surprising the some of the greatest warriors in Westeros live because a bunch of random nobodies around them die.

I do agree that, as of now, Bran's storyline is pretty dumb. So he went through all that just to be bait for the Night King? Hopefully this gets addressed in the remaining episodes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

I think more characters should have died (probably to the White Walkers after they entered the keep). But I don't know why it's that surprising the some of the greatest warriors in Westeros live because a bunch of random nobodies around them die.

also, sam.

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also, it totally looked like Daenarys used Jorah as a human shield to take a stab during their fight

Nah he was repeatedly throwing himself in the way to protect her. Was really one of the best deaths in the entire series, given how often people end up going out like bitches.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

j00t

Yeah, I loved how Jorah just refused to die until dany was safe. Like, he had no doubt that he was a goner, but dany's getting out of this one alive and unharmed

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I guess it's a little autistic but the tactics of the opening 15 minutes were "wait, what?".

Cavalry up front, then war engines... then, your infantry? Infantry up front, war engines behind them, cavalry on the flanks. You harry the rear or the flanks of the enemy with your cavalry. Their advantage is mobility. It doesn't make any sense to charge straight into a solid mass, you lose your advantage. You've got Jaime there who has been been shown commanding battles and you assume is versed in large formations of troops. You've got tyrion there. You've got Jorah there. Even Jon should have realized that was a silly initial formation. You've got a lot of people there that should have gone "wait a second, sure we're all going to die, but this is kind of a stupid way to do it".

And why are you shooting flaming catapult bombs AS your calvary is charging? If the enemy is just going to stand there... why not just lob bombs at them until they realize they need to move? Are you just HOPING to kill your own dudes?

That was the primary problem for me. Hardhome and the Castle Black versions of this actually had a sensible set of starting conditions.

The visual of the dothraki swords going out was neat enough, but it's not worth sabotaging the competence of your story just for that. They could have done a variant of that scene in the middle instead of in the beginning and it may have been even more impactful.

I know it's fantasy and all. But c'mon now. No one ever arrayed armies like that. Not even the british, who were famous for the simple solution of throwing more bodies at the problem.

• 20Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 20 users

j00t

Also, I think ghost is still alive because no one told him what was happening. He just ran out with the horses because they were taking him for a walk. Then they run into the undead and he's like OH WTF and ran back home

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
In the crypts was that wights breaking through the door, or Stark wights breaking out their graves?