GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Gendry is a bastard with no proper lineage. Bastards are rarely legitimized in part due to the Blackfire Rebellions that wrecked shit up for generations.

edit - I would expect Faceless Men to be sterile as well, likely from all the poisoning
He was saying it in jest due to Arya getting everything since leaving the book material.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
It turned into alot of what I feared at the end of season 6. When GRRM said he felt bad about killing main characters I knew the good parts of the show were over.

The one twist for me was Melisandre. Just walking into the sunrise wasn't how I thought she was gonna go out.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He gives the Director a TON of credit for salvaging what he can from the writing.

Which is kind of nonsense because directors on these TV shows have little to no influence whatsoever on the final product, they usually don't come with their own crew, they don't have final cuts or any story impact, they're technical experts. Producers, showrunners and studio execs hold the strings. David Nutter is a very competent TV show director, from X-Files to Band of Brothers (TV shows with huge producers presence) but he has no say in writing, storyboards or editing at all. On a Game of Thrones set he's the guy leading scenes, managing day to day shots, sometimes directing actors and 2nd teams. I'm not saying he's useless, but he definitely can't be credited as salvaging writing. He's the expert technician following decisions, not Jesus.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

It turned into alot of what I feared at the end of season 6. When GRRM said he felt bad about killing main characters I knew the good parts of the show were over.

The one twist for me was Melisandre. Just walking into the sunrise wasn't how I thought she was gonna go out.

In an interview they let slip she was 800 years old, which means she could have lived in Valryia and why she seemed so powerful. I have to think that she was tasked with the singular goal of defending against the dead. Once that task was over, she peaced out like a vampire that just wanted to rest. We know in reality she was a frail old husk of a woman, even though all we saw was youth. She was probably tired as fuck and just happy she saw the conclusion of her watch.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Sure, it certainly was a surprise, so an actual good twist. I thought she was gonna blow up suicide bomber in fire. That was the one thing that actually surprised me, not the Arya shit we've seen coming all season. They tried to twist that with Dany trying, then Jon trying but it was too obvious for the setup.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
RE picture quality -

Friends who watched the UK broadcast also said that the quality was awful. This is due to the compression of the broadcast/streams.

The darkness/underlit scenes were intentional by the film-makers.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
RE picture quality -

Friends who watched the UK broadcast also said that the quality was awful. This is due to the compression of the broadcast/streams.

The darkness/underlit scenes were intentional by the film-makers.
if you mean they did it intentionally to cover for bad CGI, then yeah i can see that, but why do that for non CGI scenes too? i felt like i was watching this through some kind of hazy crystal ball.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
They explained NK's motivations for wanting Bran dead the previous episode. Explanations on what the 3 Eyes Raven's all about is a lot more important because otherwise we're left with the assumption that his whole existence is just to be bait for the Night King.

Jon: We can't beat them in a straight fight.

Jamie: So what can we do?
Jon: The Night King made them all. They follow his command. If he falls...getting to him may be our best chance.
Jamie: If that's true, he'll never expose himself.

Bran: Yes he will. He'll come for me. He's tried before, many times with many three-eyed ravens.
Sam: Why? What does he want?
Bran: An endless night. He wants to erase this world, and I am its memory.

(Sam redirects with some well-delivered fancy sounding supportive but meaningless junk)
Tyrion: How will he find you?
Bran: His mark is on me. He always knows where I am.
Jon: We'll put you in the crypt where it's safest.
Bran: No. We need to lure him into the open before his army destroys us all. I'll wait for him in the Godswood.

I think I just triggered myself.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
if you mean they did it intentionally to cover for bad CGI, then yeah i can see that, but why do that for non CGI scenes too? i felt like i was watching this through some kind of hazy crystal ball.

It was explained in one of the "inside the episode" videos. Previously Winterfell stuff has taken place pre-Winter and been lit with natural light and prop candle-lights. They didn't want the same aesthetic or something

"Although there's no official word yet from HBO or the show's producers, it would seem this low-resolution presentation of the battle was an intentional choice. Robert McLachlan, a cinematographer on "Game of Thrones," seemed to back up that theory, telling the website Insider that in the later seasons the show's producers wanted to try "to be as naturalistic as possible" when it came to lighting the sets. " 'Game of Thrones' looked really dark on Sunday, and we don't just mean the plot

Edit: This article blames the darkness on people not having their sets calibrated. Mine has been professionally colour calibrated, so I know the colours of my set matches as much as possible what the film-makers intended. My biggest gripe was the compression/pixellation.

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Right, people can have opinions, but probably half the posts here have basically boiled down to “this is how I would written the scene/this is how it should have played out”

Exactly. Opinions are fine, but if its a variation of "What they should have done is this.." or "But the books.." Then it really serves no purpose other than autistic noise

Xevy

Log Wizard
Exactly. Opinions are fine, but if its a variation of "What they should have done is this.." or "But the books.." Then it really serves no purpose other than autistic noise

But I love all the fucking armchair Caesar's talking about how to successfully fight an unfeeling, near infinite, undead zerg army successfully!

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I think he's right about the calibration in some extent but I think the main problem is most (all?) cable / satellite can't handle that much black level with their horrid fucking compression. It looked about 1000x better streaming from a 4k apple TV and I bet the 4k disc will look amazing as well.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It was explained in one of the "inside the episode" videos. Previously Winterfell stuff has taken place pre-Winter and been lit with natural light and prop candle-lights. They didn't want the same aesthetic or something

"Although there's no official word yet from HBO or the show's producers, it would seem this low-resolution presentation of the battle was an intentional choice. Robert McLachlan, a cinematographer on "Game of Thrones," seemed to back up that theory, telling the website Insider that in the later seasons the show's producers wanted to try "to be as naturalistic as possible" when it came to lighting the sets. " 'Game of Thrones' looked really dark on Sunday, and we don't just mean the plot

Edit: This article blames the darkness on people not having their sets calibrated. Mine has been professionally colour calibrated, so I know the colours of my set matches as much as possible what the film-makers intended. My biggest gripe was the compression/pixellation.

now i'm gonna get for real mad all over again, when they start blaming the audience for their mistakes, its a sign they are sucking too much corporate cock to care what shit they're feeding us.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think he's right about the calibration in some extent but I think the main problem is most (all?) cable / satellite can't handle that much black level with their horrid fucking compression. It looked about 1000x better streaming from a 4k apple TV and I bet the 4k disc will look amazing as well.

Yes, the problem was two-fold: the deliberately dark cinematography and the broadcast quality compression

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
All this nonsense talk about tv calibration and "intentions of the creators" doesn't have anything to do with the problem. Almost every single source of HBO content today is utter garbage. Most people wouldn't notice it in 90% of the content, but in these last few super dark GoT episodes, people see how garbage tier your Roku's and Firesticks, and TV Web App and Amazon Prime HBO sources are. It doesn't have to do with calibrating tv's or the fact the directors wanted really dark scenes, it is the embarrassing state of streamed content today, your avg hur dur doesn't even notice which is why they can get away with it.

Just don't watch, don't pay them for shit tier quality, wait to get on blu ray.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
All this nonsense talk about tv calibration and "intentions of the creators" doesn't have anything to do with the problem. Almost every single source of HBO content today is utter garbage. Most people wouldn't notice it in 90% of the content, but in these last few super dark GoT episodes, people see how garbage tier your Roku's and Firesticks, and TV Web App and Amazon Prime HBO sources are. It doesn't have to do with calibrating tv's or the fact the directors wanted really dark scenes, it is the embarrassing state of streamed content today, your avg hur dur doesn't even notice which is why they can get away with it.

The 'broadcast' cable was far more compressed than the streaming apps/devices. That is what makes this extra fucked, people who haven't yet cut the cord are getting a terrible quality presentation and that might be enough to send them packing.

Given that this is the biggest thing HBO has going on this year they really should have sat down with the cable providers and gone over how this would look at broadcast and adjusted _something_

Kiki

Log Wizard

The streams actually had better quality than tv sources. The cinemtographer also said he wants you to go inside and close the curtains, not play it in the sun on your phone, lmao.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The 'broadcast' cable was far more compressed than the streaming apps/devices. That is what makes this extra fucked, people who haven't yet cut the cord are getting a terrible quality presentation and that might be enough to send them packing.

Given that this is the biggest thing HBO has going on this year they really should have sat down with the cable providers and gone over how this would look at broadcast and adjusted _something_
HBO really owes it to its viewers to fix this. rework the episode with a less dark filter or something and air it before the new one starts, of course make sure the next 3 episodes arent presented just as poorly.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
HBO really owes it to its viewers to fix this. rework the episode with a less dark filter or something and air it before the new one starts, of course make sure the next 3 episodes arent presented just as poorly.

Or maybe not make everything uber fucking dark to begin with? It never adds to the tension. I've turned off many movies and shows because of uber darkness.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users