GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How the hell would a Stark have any claim to the throne? After Jon and Dany, Gendry Baratheon has the best claim. Arya could have a shot if she marries him. Pretty much anyone else claiming the throne would be a coup without legitimacy, might is right style; at that point that just means whoever with the biggest army. I suppose creative spinning could give Tyrion legitimacy but that's pretty much it.

honestly, i think we're past anyone in westeros actually caring about legitimacy. the whole thing with renly vs stannis was basically about "go outside and fight, and when you've figured out who's in charge you can come back in"

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What claim would bran / starks have? I haven’t read the books in forever but I don’t remember the starks having a claim at all.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
The Stark lineage goes to the first men. Robert claim was flimsy but still infinitely better than Ned, that's why he went back to his igloo after the war. The Targs bred with themselves and the occasional southern houses.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tyrion actually has a weak claim to the throne on the basis of Cersei's usurpation and him being the Lannister heir (she ruled in her own name when she took the throne), and as ridiculous as that is, that's the only scenario where I see Sansa on the throne (as Tyrion's queen).

I'm genuinely hoping we just end up with evil tyrant Dany winning the day so that when all is said and done, Robert's Rebellion ultimately ended up leading to something far worse than Mad King Aerys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i bet whoever takes the throne melts it down and then throws ghost's pelt over it before they sit down

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
How the hell would a Stark have any claim to the throne? After Jon and Dany, Gendry Baratheon has the best claim. Arya could have a shot if she marries him. Pretty much anyone else claiming the throne would be a coup without legitimacy, might is right style; at that point that just means whoever with the biggest army. I suppose creative spinning could give Tyrion legitimacy but that's pretty much it.

Also, heard about Jon taking the black a few times. That wouldn't make a lick of sense. The undead army is gone, so is the night king, the wildlings are bros, there's a giant hole in the wall and there's no night watch left alive. Taking the black means what at this point? Live by himself in a shack for the sake to be away from civilisation?
Dany nuked the capital city of Westeros with the Queen inside. there is no more throne, there will only be squabbles over who rules EACH of the seven kingdoms now. Asha/Yara Greyjoy is the Queen of the Iron Islands and its territory. Gendry is King of the Stormlands, Fatboy will probably be considered King in the The Reach, Sansa Stark is Queen of the North. Robert Arryn is King of the Vale. Tyrion Lannister is King of the Rock and Quentyn Martell is King of Dorne. Bran Stark will run the the King committee which will probably house all the seven Kings/Queens. if you want to call him the big King i guess.

and Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryan will join these guys,
60062252_2240340539378968_13185628942368383_n.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
I'm virtually convinced we're going to get Bran on the throne by some sort of stupidity. Something will have to happen between Dany/Jon or with Arya involved I'm sure...but in the end even if it's clear he's the dumbest one to end up on the throne, he's still a male Stark (the last one left) and has a better claim by that alone over someone like Sansa. I just can't see Dany being left on the throne at this point.

The only tinfoil hat fanfiction I can really dig in this scenario is dependent on the idea that Bran is the Night King. They go through whatever rigamarole neccesary to clear the way: Jon kills Dany and is merc'd by Grey Worm, Tyrion gets executed, Jon and Dany decide to fuck off back to their prospective corners...And in they wheel Bran. He sits there and smiles (just like the Night King did when Drogon tried to melt him), and all the sudden the thousands of corpses in the Landing come to life and massacre the remaining Unsullied/Northmen, recreating the undead army-- this time right smack dab in the heart of the human kingdom with no lingering force powerful enough to stop it from destroying everything. He wins the throne by default.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Also, heard about Jon taking the black a few times. That wouldn't make a lick of sense. The undead army is gone, so is the night king, the wildlings are bros, there's a giant hole in the wall and there's no night watch left alive. Taking the black means what at this point? Live by himself in a shack for the sake to be away from civilisation?

He basically would just want to hang with the Wildling bros and Ghost vs. sitting on some shit throne and be miserable

iannis

Musty Nester
Emilia Clarke asked to re-enact her reaction to reading the script for the first time, kinda funny. Also short interview with Jamie, Bronn, Gilly and Sam actors. Gilly got fat and/or pregnant, could kinda see it in the show but even more here.

German show but English audio.

Oh man age is NOT being kind to her face. Without the giant wig her features are much too bold.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Gendry Baratheon has the best claim.

This is still my call for the ending. It would make sense that Dany would bring attention to his lineage again in the 4th episode as a little refresher to the audience. Unless that was just his send off. I hope not

Jive Turkey

Karen
honestly, i think we're past anyone in westeros actually caring about legitimacy. the whole thing with renly vs stannis was basically about "go outside and fight, and when you've figured out who's in charge you can come back in"

I've always felt like I missed something here. What was Renly's claim exactly? Why did he think he should get it over Stannis?

Caliane

I've always felt like I missed something here. What was Renly's claim exactly? Why did he think he should get it over Stannis?

"im here and Stannis is not. If I claim it right now, it will be mine. And he can't stop me, theres no takesy backesy with thrones.. Also, Stannis will be a shit king, while I am pretty cool, everyone likes me, and will support me."

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
all it would have taken is for him to have one line about joining the black and that it negated any claim he has to the throne. like, people can argue that he gave up any claim to stark lands and whatnot, but that he coulnd't have renounced his targaryen lineage because he didn't know about it, but at the end of the day he sticks with his "i gave all of that up"

except... people named him king in the north... though they didn't name him that due to his family ties... but again, THAT'S the angle he should be coming from. it doesn't matter if his life is a lie because he renounced whatever life he had.

But then he died so his service to the black was null and void.

Jon's claim to the throne because everyone chooses to follow him is infinitely more interesting than because of whom his mom and dad are.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So let’s review all the potential ‘Winners’ of the game and potential occupants of the Iron Throne, and why each is an inherently unsatisfying result of 10 years of television.

Bran: The worst of all prospective Kings. He is completely detached from the workings of living men, outside of the two arbitrary plot points set up in S8: He was the penultimate target of the Night King in the North, and had to tell Sansa/Arya about Jon’s heritage because I guess Jon didn’t want to be the one to say it. His training as a lord ceased soon as he left Winterfell, and one can assume he is uneducated and uninterested in the necessary arts of statecraft. A nearly-mute sage living solely in the past does not make a good king. He would just sit there in his chair with his creep-smile and leave the administration of his kingdom to his advisors, and to show him doing otherwise would be antithesis to the character they’ve built up over the last decade.

Jon: The one with the most ‘right’ to the throne and the most likely candidate, but talk about boring. His status as a Jesus/savior character is completely undermined by the fact that every situation he ended up in was completely beyond his control. The idea of him sitting grim faced and reluctant on the Iron Throne is in keeping with the character, but the idea that the game was ‘won’ by the person would wanted it the least doesn’t have enough time to be explored in the span of the last episode, and least not in a fleshed-out and satisfying way. He stumbled into all of it in the same way his foster dad stumbled into the information and situation that got him beheaded- by following honorable principle, and getting fucked over by it.

Dany: Not that rights of succession have mattered all that much up til this point, but she has no actually claim to the Iron Throne as long as Jon lives. She’s got one dragon and a decimated populace within a mostly-destroyed city, the Pyrrhic victory of a conqueror.... but as promised, it came at the cost of the lives she wanted to rule over. The installation of a Breaker of Chains turned tyrant may be reasonable within the context of the entire story, but to me there is nothing satisfactory about leaving it as a parting shot of her on the throne: ruling through blood and fear, unloved by her subjects. Again there isn’t enough room in one episode to redeem her actions. If they show the populace ‘coming around’ to support her cause it would have to be with slap-dash exposition and time skips that would be forced and empty.

Sansa: No claim to the throne and no practical skills in ruling the Seven Kingdoms, despite the one-off and baseless assertions she’s a badass and ‘the smartest.’ She was literally shuffled about as a pawn for 6 whole seasons, with little agency or ability to navigate her situations other than submitting to them. Rape and molestation, despite the weird emphasis otherwise, does not make you into a ruler...then again, this a universe in which strong Khal dicking turns you into a Khaleesi. It could be argued that she has learned the art of leading people, of only through the establishing shots of her staring down at her people milling about the Winterfell courtyard...but she survived this long through sheer luck and people interceding on her behalf. I would argue that Sansa on the throne is more likely than anything else, if only for D&D’s emphasis on ‘subverting expectations’ in hamhanded ways.

Of course, it doesn’t really come down to who ‘deserves’ the throne. They’ve been clear that the ending will be bittersweet, and with the elimination of the Night King (possibly replaced by Bran?) that probably means there will be no satisfying sum ending. Whoever sits on the throne is not going to be particularly happy about it, and that’s likely to be the bittersweet they’ve been warning us about for years.

If this follows the "real history", the person to sit on the throne should be Dany, married to Jon--if Dany is our "Henry the VII". Her life mirrors Henry's pretty much, I guess you could say Jon and her mirror Henry.

The other possibility is Tyrion and Sansa. Tyrion is most likely based on Richard III, who was a KIng for a while, but was killed. Tyrion is clearly based off of Richard...but he also has elements of Henry, his banishment across the sea and his return. He's also a Lanister, if we take that as the stand in for Lancaster than a Lanister with a weak claim to the throne (very weak) needs to marry a Stark with a strong claim to the north, and they rule together and begin a long standing dynasty.

Could be why they hinted at Tyrion and Sansa getting back together. But I doubt it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's sad that rando's on the internet can make a shit scene so much better. It's still terrible motivation for her, but someone who's just making a meme who out-produces these people who are likely making millions for it?

It's pathetic, really.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users