GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I think the answer to number 1 is no, not in any meaningful way. At least the way they wrote this season. The things Szilla and others are trying to give it credit for I feel other factors actually were the real driving force behind, and I believe its obvious Varys would "betray" or turn away from Dany regardless of Jon's parentage as soon as she showed her "Mad Queen" side. Not that Varys' death meant anything even when it happened, because he didn't do anything meaningful this season besides send out letters no one apparently received, or try to poison Dany unsuccessfully (if you buy into that theory). He told both Jon and Tyrion what was going to happen with Dany before it happened and neither did anything anyways until after it happened. It's pretty sad actually that Varys could have been removed entirely from this season and nothing would have changed whatsoever.

Yeah, to be honest, I shouldn't have said meaningful. It had some impact on the narrative but was really a means to an end - getting Daenerys to snap. When in reality Jon's identity and his parentage were issues he grappled with his entire life, but this had virtually no impact on his character or story arc

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, to be honest, I shouldn't have said meaningful. It had some impact on the narrative but was really a means to an end - getting Daenerys to snap. When in reality Jon's identity and his parentage were issues he grappled with his entire life, but this had virtually no impact on his character or story arc

As I noted above with Szilla, I don't think they even showed Jon's parentage as having any real meaningful impact on getting Dany to snap, either. Not when compared to how they portrayed her reactions to losing Jorah, a 2nd dragon, and Missandei. Desipte getting upset Jon told his "family" the truth, it doesn't actually affect how she treats him at all.

I agree with what you're saying about how it should have been a much bigger deal to Jon in general over the course of the season, too. Even if he ultimately didn't want the throne, all the struggles over being a bastard and Catelyn treating him like shit...you would have expected quite a lot more from him finally having this revealed to him. While Ned obviously had legit/real reasons for hiding it from him and everyone, he did in the end lie to Jon about it his whole life (although when they parted ways for the final time, he did tell Jon they would have a real conversation about his mother...of course, that would have been after he had taken the Black and forbid from claiming any of his birthright).

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As I noted above with Szilla, I don't think they even showed Jon's parentage as having any real meaningful impact on getting Dany to snap, either. Not when compared to how they portrayed her reactions to losing Jorah, a 2nd dragon, and Missandei. Desipte getting upset Jon told his "family" the truth, it doesn't actually affect how she treats him at all.

I agree with what you're saying about how it should have been a much bigger deal to Jon in general over the course of the season, too. Even if he ultimately didn't want the throne, all the struggles over being a bastard and Catelyn treating him like shit...you would have expected quite a lot more from him finally having this revealed to him. While Ned obviously had legit/real reasons for hiding it from him and everyone, he did in the end lie to Jon about it his whole life (although when they parted ways for the final time, he did tell Jon they would have a real conversation about his mother...of course, that would have been after he had taken the Black and forbid from claiming any of his birthright).
something about that scene really irked me, where Jon tells Dany he has to tell Sansa about his real heritage. Jon was treated like a bastard his whole life. there is a reason why he joined the Night Watch. Cat and Sansa were the worst offenders. this is in the book and show. so when he comes back there is no reason to share all his deepest secrets with her and she never shared a goddamned thing with him, when he needed backup for the battle of the bastards, Sansa kept to herself the forces of the Vale waiting not far away. Jon's character may have been the most rubbish thing about season 8. at least Dany got to fulfill all her dreams. Jon just pouted the whole fucking time, didnt even pet his doggo goodbye before abandoning him.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

something about that scene really irked me, where Jon tells Dany he has to tell Sansa about his real heritage. Jon was treated like a bastard his whole life. there is a reason why he joined the Night Watch. Cat and Sansa were the worst offenders. this is in the book and show. so when he comes back there is no reason to share all his deepest secrets with her and she never shared a goddamned thing with him, when he needed backup for the battle of the bastards, Sansa kept to herself the forces of the Vale waiting not far away. Jon's character may have been the most rubbish thing about season 8. at least Dany got to fulfill all her dreams. Jon just pouted the whole fucking time, didnt even pet his doggo goodbye before abandoning him.

I will say that him and Sansa, after Theon helps her escape and Brienne and Pod save them, do have a "making up" set of scenes where Sansa acknowledges she was horrible to him when she was younger and they basically know they need to stick together. After the Battle of the Bastard, Jon and her sorta make up again with Jon realizing he wasn't listening to her and taking her advice regarding Ramsay as seriously as he should have been, too.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I will say that him and Sansa, after Theon helps her escape and Brienne and Pod save them, do have a "making up" set of scenes where Sansa acknowledges she was horrible to him when she was younger and they basically know they need to stick together. After the Battle of the Bastard, Jon and her sorta make up again with Jon realizing he wasn't listening to her and taking her advice regarding Ramsay as seriously as he should have been, too.
I don't remember him apologizing for her not telling him about little finger and the forces from the vale. But it's sounds like something that cuck would do.

Merrith

I don't remember him apologizing for her not telling him about little finger and the forces from the vale. But it's sounds like something that cuck would do.

Not like that, but there was some acknowledgement that she was right that Ramsay would figure out a way to get him "off his game" so to speak, which he did by playing that game with Rickon prior to the battle to get Jon to expose himself and his army.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Gotta give a shout out to Chuk. Came through with that HITTA BOI.

Those Preston Jacob's GoT videos are some of the funniest material on the entire fucking internet. The guy is just funny and witty.

Chad Summerchild alone is worth watching, never mind The Shade of the Lamp, Ser Twenty of House Goodmen, his brother, Ser Ten of House of Goodmen and Lil' Ned Umber.

Watching his videos have made this show such a fucking joke to me, that it had somehow crossed over into hilariously bad it's almost good.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Gotta give a shout out to Chuk. Came through with that HITTA BOI.

Those Preston Jacob's GoT videos are some of the funniest material on the entire fucking internet. The guy is just funny and witty.

Chad Summerchild alone is worth watching, never mind The Shade of the Lamp, Ser Twenty of House Goodmen, his brother, Ser Ten of House of Goodmen and Lil' Ned Umber.

Watching his videos have made this show such a fucking joke to me, that it had somehow crossed over into hilariously bad it's almost good.
i feel bad you didnt start watching them until the show ended. they're much more impactful after each episode.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
These videos do a great job of reminding you how badly D&D fucked up the story arcs for these characters

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Really writing from another person's outline is worse than nothing. GRRM might have gotten halfway through writing from his outline and went "this doesn't make any sense" and changed it, but the show runners are pretty much stuck with it.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They could have still been clever enough to unravel that yarn.

No excuses. 15 million per episode, get it done.

And now my watch has ended.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Really writing from another person's outline is worse than nothing. GRRM might have gotten halfway through writing from his outline and went "this doesn't make any sense" and changed it, but the show runners are pretty much stuck with it.

I still believe the outline he gave them may not have been correct, and that may have been on purpose. Opening the door to him writing the "real" ending and selling a bajillonty copies of the last book(s)

• 1Solidarity

iannis

Musty Nester
If he sells even one after exploiting his fans like this it only means P. T. Barnum remains correct.

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
They could have still been clever enough to unravel that yarn.

No excuses. 15 million per episode, get it done.

And now my watch has ended.

Indeed, all the credit these guys got for adapting a set of books to TV is rediculous...Books end and story slowly at first starts to shit and then season 8 lol.

Supposedly D&D are getting a star wars trilogy hahaha, more suck from disney.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users