GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Sterling

El Presidente
I still don't really understand how many people seem to think seasons 6 and 7 were great. Obviously they had some good moments but overall it was a shitshow mess. Season 5 was the start of the big decline though it was mostly good still, but what they did with Dorne and the Ironborn is fucking awful.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
There was a lot of criticisms in season 5, but then Hardhome happened and that was so cool everyone just forgave the mess that came before. Season 6 was just one payoff after another. Jon being King, finding about hes a Targ. Starks taking back Winterfell. Finding about Hodor, Cersei blowing up the sept. That season was just filled with shit happening, the writing wasn't great but there was so much fuck ya moments people didn't really care. Season 7 was pretty much par the course until the wight hunt and people could no longer deny how stupid every character had become in order to make the plot work.

We traded good writing for crazy spectacle, and most people that's good enough. Problem with season 8 was the spectacle was shit, so all we were left with is terrible writing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I still say Winterfell needed to lose and lose hard with the final battle of the living versus the dead at King's Landing.
i was secretly hoping the rumored dragon sleeping under winterfell would wake up and start blowing shit up when he sensed NK and his undead ice dragon. but oh well.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There was a lot of criticisms in season 5, but then Hardhome happened and that was so cool everyone just forgave the mess that came before. Season 6 was just one payoff after another. Jon being King, finding about hes a Targ. Starks taking back Winterfell. Finding about Hodor, Cersei blowing up the sept. That season was just filled with shit happening, the writing wasn't great but there was so much fuck ya moments people didn't really care. Season 7 was pretty much par the course until the wight hunt and people could no longer deny how stupid every character had become in order to make the plot work.

We traded good writing for crazy spectacle, and most people that's good enough. Problem with season 8 was the spectacle was shit, so all we were left with is terrible writing.
the spectacle was there, but Daeny burning down all of King's Landing full of women and children for funzies made the spectacle people super butthurt because they were naming their fucking kids Daeny or Khaleesi. i mean the women, they were PISSED that they made Jon dump Daeny and then they got a double dose of pissed off when Jaime pumped and dumped Brienne. thats likely what caused the huge rift. if it was just dudes pissed off, faggots on twitter would have mocked and laughed at them. but when the bitches got sand all up in their veejays, it became a problem. i suspected that Kathleen Kennedy was one of those butthurt people and she fired th fuck out of D&D like almost the day after the finale aired. bitches with power is never a good thing. but sometimes it accidently works in everyone's favor.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
i was secretly hoping the rumored dragon sleeping under winterfell would wake up and start blowing shit up when he sensed NK and his undead ice dragon. but oh well.

What I really wanted was Lady Melisandre to sacrifice herself to revive Viserion. In that situation I'd be fine with the North winning.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
the spectacle was there, but Daeny burning down all of King's Landing full of women and children for funzies made the spectacle people super butthurt because they were naming their fucking kids Daeny or Khaleesi. i mean the women, they were PISSED that they made Jon dump Daeny and then they got a double dose of pissed off when Jaime pumped and dumped Brienne. thats likely what caused the huge rift. if it was just dudes pissed off, faggots on twitter would have mocked and laughed at them. but when the bitches got sand all up in their veejays, it became a problem. i suspected that Kathleen Kennedy was one of those butthurt people and she fired th fuck out of D&D like almost the day after the finale aired. bitches with power is never a good thing. but sometimes it accidently works in everyone's favor.

Maybe spectacle wasn't a good word for it, maybe it's better just to call them well directed set pieces. Season 8's set pieces were a mess, so many fake death outs, characters saved by an edit. People just hanging around doing nothing, or worse teleporting around the battlefield, everyone having terrible or no plans at all. And while there might be some cool looking moments they're few and far between and its mostly just nonsense. You end up with more "huhs?" then "oohs" and "awes" Like fuck how many times does Arya die in King's Landing, how many times does someone wearing full armor fall over and instantly die because they were grazed by a sword.

The Dothraki charing into the darkness with flaming swords is pretty cool looking, but it's kinda overshadowed by utterly fucking stupid it is. It's just like the wight hunt, in theory this shit was should be cool but everything surronding it is so dumb.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Disney and KK were probably counting on D&D pulling Star Wars out of its nosedive, only to realize they had hired a bunch of hacks and it probably cost them millions just to get rid of them again.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall at the HBO board meeting once they realized that tens of millions of potential revenue went up in smoke because the people in charge of the golden goose not only failed to feed it, but that they took a fucking machete to it. Where's that reality TV show, that'd be actually interesting to see.

As an aside, this is a sketch but it's still a pretty good recap of S8's stupidity, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider

Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards are among the best episodes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Battle of the Bastards was fucking stupid and did a great job illustrating why Jon was unfit to lead.

Just happened to look pretty awesome.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Basically you're right at the episode where if you had any questions it was going to shit
IMO it was clear it was gonna be shit when Danny didnt set sail until the end of S6. Was painfully obvious they wherent going to wrap everything up in 2 seasons.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IMO it was clear it was gonna be shit when Danny didnt set sail until the end of S6. Was painfully obvious they wherent going to wrap everything up in 2 seasons.

They could have wrapped up the story if they didn't try to tell Dany going from "I'm not trying to be queen to rule over the ashes" to "Burn them all" in 3 or 4 episodes. Writing a better ending for the Night King wouldn't have taken any longer, either. That and Jaime just NOT going back to Cersei. The 180's were just too much. I'm sure they felt like they needed (what they were probably hoping) some sort of swerve so no one could predict how stupid it would all turn out...save that many people as a joke predicted Wheels on the throne at the end b/c dumb.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They could have wrapped up the story if they didn't try to tell Dany going from "I'm not trying to be queen to rule over the ashes" to "Burn them all" in 3 or 4 episodes. Writing a better ending for the Night King wouldn't have taken any longer, either. That and Jaime just NOT going back to Cersei. The 180's were just too much. I'm sure they felt like they needed (what they were probably hoping) some sort of swerve so no one could predict how stupid it would all turn out...save that many people as a joke predicted Wheels on the throne at the end b/c dumb.
i'm still convinced they were advised by Rian Johnson or they liked his method of "subverting expectations" and just decided to go opposite of what fans expected thinking this would be much more exciting! Jon was supposed to be king, Daeny was supposed to fall short. wheels was expected to die taking out the NK. NK was supposed to ravage the majority of Westeros including winterfell. all the fan favorites like Arya and Tyrion should have died. Cleganebowl was expected, but not sure how much that was hopium or a logical progression. either way i think Gregor should never have died to what Hound could throw at him. he was a headless immortal monster for christ's sake. all the dragons were likely expected to die as well with Daeny. i think Jaime would have probably killed Cersei intentionally. not some fucking bullshit of leading her to a dead end that caved in on them which wasnt nearly so bad when their bodies were found by Tyrion.

Merrith

Battle of the Bastards was fucking stupid and did a great job illustrating why Jon was unfit to lead.

Leaders learn lessons, too. He just happened to survive his mistake, unlike Rob.

Also would have helped if Sansa had been like "lol we have like 4k more men from the Vale"

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
S6 was definitely the beginning of the end for me. All prior seasons and episodes I would watch the previous weeks, into the new episode and make a whole thing of it. To this day I haven't re watched the Sansa rape or Shireen burning episodes. Added in bullshit that was written poorly, made no sense and was uncomfortable to watch.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I disagree. Battle of the Bastards with Jon almost drowning in a sea of corpses was an amazing contrast with Dany flying around like a Disney princess on her magic dragons burninating all her enemies effortlessly in the same episode.

The whole point of that episode was showing why Jon earned his right to rule vs Dany not doing so.

• 1Like

Merrith

Wat? He pissed away all his forces and would have lost everything if it weren't for his half-wit sister.

The one who was pushing for him to retake Winterfell completely undermanned and without the defenders' advantage but also failed to tell him she had the Vale coming to help?

Yeah, Jon trying to save Rickon played right into Ramsay's hands, but lets not pretend he wasn't basically trying to fight a losing battle from the start because of Sansa who never told him about the trump card she had, either.