GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Trying to save Rickon was completely understandable. Angrily charging at Ramsay's army by himself, on foot, because he was incoherently angry about Rickon's obviously unpreventable death, was one of the dumbest fucking things in the entire series.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
they probably wouldnt have if they knew what GRRM had planned or him. in the book he just sent him to an island to chill out a while.

He ends up with the swamp people I think? My guess was he was going to grow up to be a crazy tough northman with worg powers and a giant wolf rather than him getting caught off-screen and Shaggy Dog getting beheaded off screen as he's killed for cheap drama.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
He ends up with the swamp people I think? My guess was he was going to grow up to be a crazy tough northman with worg powers and a giant wolf rather than him getting caught off-screen and Shaggy Dog getting beheaded off screen as he's killed for cheap drama.

I thought he went to Bear Island in the book, which means that he will probably get tied back into retaking the north, eventually. The books are still on Stanis's winterry wonderland, after all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I thought he went to Bear Island in the book, which means that he will probably get tied back into retaking the north, eventually. The books are still on Stanis's winterry wonderland, after all.

I keep wanting to say he gets pawned off on relatives of the two frog people that ferry Bran to the North?

• 1Like

Burns

I keep wanting to say he gets pawned off on relatives of the two frog people that ferry Bran to the North?

Yarp, I was wrong:

A Dance with Dragons
Most of Westeros believes Rickon dead, but Lord Wyman Manderly and Robett Glover learn from Wex Pyke, Theon's onetime squire and a survivor of the sack of Winterfell, that the boy is alive. Wex tells them—via writing and chalk drawings since he cannot speak—that Ramsay killed Rodrik Cassel, not Theon, in the battle at Winterfell, and that Wex followed a boy, a woman, and a direwolf after they left the castle.[44] Wex learned that Osha was taking Rickon to Skagos.[45]

When Lord Davos Seaworth attempts to convince Lord Manderly to take up Stannis Baratheon's cause, Wyman brings Wex into their meeting in the New Castle and explains to Davos what Wex witnessed. Wyman explains that in order for House Manderly to take Stannis as king, Davos must use his smuggling skills to retrieve Rickon, the heir of House Stark with Robb dead and Bran's fate unknown, from Skagos.[44]

Ramsay, who is now Lord of Winterfell,[46] intends to kill Bran and Rickon with his hounds if the Stark boys reappear.[47]

• 1Like

Merrith

Trying to save Rickon was completely understandable. Angrily charging at Ramsay's army by himself, on foot, because he was incoherently angry about Rickon's obviously unpreventable death, was one of the dumbest fucking things in the entire series.

Not to be a stickler for details, but he never charges on foot. He does go ahead on horseback, after Rickon has died just before he got to him, although it seems to be to avoid the first set of arrows all of Ramsay's archers fire since they have the range and getting under that range for the first set works at least (note, Jon's army already started their charge out to him as well before he goes forward). Then his horse gets mowed down by next set of arrows, and he stands there, not moving on foot. That's where the epic drawing his sword and standing there scene happens, before his army of course manages to meet the oncoming cavalry charge of Ramsay's army, with him in the middle.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I still say Winterfell needed to lose and lose hard with the final battle of the living versus the dead at King's Landing.

I get people expected that because nobody thought the whole Night King thing would be wrapped up in that one episode, but I just don't see any of the Starks, or John especially, retreating from Winterfell.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I get people expected that because nobody thought the whole Night King thing would be wrapped up in that one episode, but I just don't see any of the Starks, or John especially, retreating from Winterfell.

Jon's easy. Punched to unconsciousness and dragged out by Tormund.

But yeah, thinking about what you said I'm having a hard time with Northmen picking an option that wasn't standing their ground.

Caliane

one of the many problems with that is, winterfell was sacked. there is no winterfell at this point. it was burned down, the peasants massacred, fled, or starved. The show pretended all that didn't happen, or "just kindof forgot", is stupid. There was no men, no food, and the city/keep destroyed.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
one of the many problems with that is, winterfell was sacked. there is no winterfell at this point. it was burned down, the peasants massacred, fled, or starved. The show pretended all that didn't happen, or "just kindof forgot", is stupid. There was no men, no food, and the city/keep destroyed.

I don't think it showed damage to the extent that you can't consider it Winterfell anymore. It sure seemed like there was 100 left at most before we find out there's suddenly many thousands and somehow all the Dothraki who we just saw get slaughtered also had thousands survive.

Either way, my point is the Starks and the soldiers of Winterfell would choose death over retreating so the idea that they'd run away all the way to King's Landing would be so out of character with everything they've shown for 8 seasons that I'm surprised they didn't do it

Caliane

to be clear, I mean Winterfell was burned down when Ramsey sacked it, not when the Night king army came.

• 1Like

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ah I feel like your giving the Northmen more credit then they deserve. These are the people who were too afraid to rise up against the Boltons, then came cowering back to Jon once the tables had turned. I mean House Glover just ran off instead of fighting. They're more racist hillbillies then loyal badass warriors. I don't see any issue with them fleeing if they were getting their ass kicked. Nobody really has any loyality to Winterfell and all thier own keeps are South.

For Stark solders themselves are there even any left? Most died at the Red Wedding and I can't see the Boltons being kind to any Stark men once they took the North. It's just peseants, Knights of the Vale and Wildlings and a few other Northern Houses. I don't see them objected to much to fleeing to White Harbour if shit went to hell.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Did he really do that much damage, though? Theon was holding it with one ship's worth of men.

In the book it's pretty fucked. Everything that could be burned had been burned, all the greenhouses the keep depends on destroyed, the stores are empty, etc. Really, everyone there is dead and just doesn't know it yet. They're already slaughtering their horses (and baking Freys in to pies) for food and winter hasn't even fully started. Roose wanting to hold the keep doomed them all. Stannis is just as dead trying to get there.

I honestly don't expect the Battle of the Bastards to be anything like it was in the show.