GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
anything to avoid finishing the series.
A Dance with Dragons2011NovelA Song of Ice and Fire
The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister2013Quote collectionfrom A Song of Ice and Fire
The Princess and the QueenNovellaA Song of Ice and Fire, prequels[161][162]
The Rogue Prince2014
The World of Ice & FireReference bookThe history of Westeros, with Elio M. García Jr. and Linda Antonsson
The Ice DragonYoung adult illustrated novellaReworked version of the original novella published in 1980, illustrated by Luis Royo[163]
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms2015Collectioncompilation of the first three Tales of Dunk and Egg[164]
The Sons of the Dragon2017NovellaA Song of Ice and Fire, prequel[165][166]
Fire & Blood2018Reference book & novella collectionThe history of House Targaryen

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Reflections on a Bad Year

I wrote hundreds and hundreds of pages of THE WINDS OF WINTER in 2020. The best year I’ve had on WOW since I began it. Why? I don’t know. Maybe the isolation. Or maybe I just got on a roll. Sometimes I do get on a roll.
I need to keep rolling, though. I still have hundreds of more pages to write to bring the novel to a satisfactory conclusion.
That’s what 2021 is for, I hope.
I will make no predictions on when I will finish. Every time I do, assholes on the internet take that as a “promise,” and then wait eagerly to crucify me when I miss the deadline. All I will say is that I am hopeful.
I have a zillion other things to do as well, though. My plate is full to overflowing. Every time I wrap up one thing, three more things land on me. Monkeys on my back, aye, aye, I’ve sung that song before. So many monkeys. And Kong.
I will talk about all that in a different blog post.
Meanwhile, guys and gals, please keep yourselves safe and healthy. I will try to do the same.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre

I wrote hundreds and hundreds of pages of THE WINDS OF WINTER in 2020. The best year I’ve had on WOW since I began it. Why? I don’t know. Maybe the isolation. Or maybe I just got on a roll. Sometimes I do get on a roll.
I need to keep rolling, though. I still have hundreds of more pages to write to bring the novel to a satisfactory conclusion.
I will make no predictions on when I will finish. Every time I do, assholes on the internet take that as a “promise,” and then wait eagerly to crucify me when I miss the deadline. All I will say is that I am hopeful.
I have a zillion other things to do as well, though. My plate is full to overflowing. Every time I wrap up one thing, three more things land on me. Monkeys on my back, aye, aye, I’ve sung that song before. So many monkeys. And Kong.
Meanwhile, guys and gals, please keep yourselves safe and healthy. I will try to do the same.
tldr;

"I will never finish WoW" - Martin

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Give this asshole another gutpunch.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Give this asshole another gutpunch.
hundreds of pages in a year really isnt something to brag about either. you usually can do a few hundred in a few months. he already says he has other projects. which confirms what we were saying about him putting this book off yet again to do more HBO shit. I'm fine with that, he deserves to have his legacy be remembered as season 8 of Dan & Dave's Game of Thrones.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
"Writing is the art of applying an ass to a seat." Someone tell this fat fuck to sit his fat ass down and just write.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
He has the feature creep JK Rowling had when each Harry Potter book was larger than the last, but without the work ethic and organisation to actually write that many pages.

We don't need all these secondary POV characaters and we don't need everything rammed in one book, split it up into 2 books like the last one, or more.

Cybsled

hundreds of pages in a year really isnt something to brag about either. you usually can do a few hundred in a few months. he already says he has other projects. which confirms what we were saying about him putting this book off yet again to do more HBO shit. I'm fine with that, he deserves to have his legacy be remembered as season 8 of Dan & Dave's Game of Thrones.

"Writing is the art of applying an ass to a seat." Someone tell this fat fuck to sit his fat ass down and just write.

Neither of you clearly understand actual writing, or art creation for that matter. The Greeks invented the concept of the ‘muse’ for a reason. That strong creative motivation when words just pour out and you just produce like a madman. But that ‘muse’ isn’t always universal. It’s not like “motivation on” and you can work on whatever.

It’s clear from his recent projects that creatively he is in a rut for the MAIN story. He is only getting spurts of inspiration/ motivation, but then he gets drawn to side projects were he can just world build or explore different characters in different stories. Or TV shows. That is what is motivating him, but it isn’t directly translating into the main story. I suspect he writes, hates what he writes, loses motivation, gets some back later and has this cycle where he is critical of what he has made and as such, doesn’t make a ton of progress.

To use a gaming analogy: it would be like raiding in eq1/WoW for 20 years. Some people keep that motivational spark, and some just get tired of it. They feel obligated to raid, but they aren’t enjoying it. They would rather play some battle royale, or a survival game, or even another MMO that rekindles that desire.

That is what trying to write without motivation is like. Like running Molten Core for the 10,000th time, when you would rather work on wiring the electric in your base in Rust

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Garbage
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Neither of you clearly understand actual writing, or art creation for that matter. The Greeks invented the concept of the ‘muse’ for a reason. That strong creative motivation when words just pour out and you just produce like a madman. But that ‘muse’ isn’t always universal. It’s not like “motivation on” and you can work on whatever.

It’s clear from his recent projects that creatively he is in a rut for the MAIN story. He is only getting spurts of inspiration/ motivation, but then he gets drawn to side projects were he can just world build or explore different characters in different stories. Or TV shows. That is what is motivating him, but it isn’t directly translating into the main story. I suspect he writes, hates what he writes, loses motivation, gets some back later and has this cycle where he is critical of what he has made and as such, doesn’t make a ton of progress.

To use a gaming analogy: it would be like raiding in eq1/WoW for 20 years. Some people keep that motivational spark, and some just get tired of it. They feel obligated to raid, but they aren’t enjoying it. They would rather play some battle royale, or a survival game, or even another MMO that rekindles that desire.

That is what trying to write without motivation is like. Like running Molten Core for the 10,000th time, when you would rather work on wiring the electric in your base in Rust
No. He had multiple opportunities to hand this story off to someone else. Or collab with them. He also isn't raiding this game for 20 years. He fucks off constantlym. He hasn't written enough to be sick of it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really don't understand how you look at the complete shit show the tv series turned into and not have that be enough motivation to finish it and finish it in a way that is satisfying to fans and your vision as the author. He really must be lost.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Satisfying to fans and finishing according to his vision may not be the same thing. The show ending put a spotlight on that and if the shitty writing was anything close to his intentions he has to be feeling slighted himself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I really don't understand how you look at the complete shit show the tv series turned into and not have that be enough motivation to finish it and finish it in a way that is satisfying to fans and your vision as the author. He really must be lost.
I wonder if maybe hes just as uninterested in writing it as I am in reading it.

I always wanted to see the ending, but once I saw it, it ended any interest I had in reading a slightly maybe better version of it.

Cybsled

That does play a part. He had these ending ideas planned forever and writing the books was filling in the blanks to work towards that.

Then it comes out and millions of people go “lol this sux”. That has to kill motivation

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That does play a part. He had these ending ideas planned forever and writing the books was filling in the blanks to work towards that.

Then it comes out and millions of people go “lol this sux”. That has to kill motivation
its been ten years since the last book, nobody has said "lol this sux" to him in a long time and by allowing season 8 GoT be the ending of his story, it means he was just fine with that ending or he doesnt have an ending at all planned. just kill everyone til one remains through attrition. if it was me, i would be super pissed off at what HBO did to my masterpiece and would have churned out a new book by the end of the year. its been 2 years since season 8 and no set date for his next to last book comes out. he doesnt care.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe the tv show was exactly how he was planning on ending it so now he's shitting his pants trying to write an ending where Jon and Dany live happily ever after ruling the world and making beautiful babies together.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean you could keep almost all of the central plot elements from the 6th-8th seasons and still tell a good story with them if you presented them differently.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Maybe the tv show was exactly how he was planning on ending it so now he's shitting his pants trying to write an ending where Jon and Dany live happily ever after ruling the world and making beautiful babies together.
no.png

Cybsled

I mean you could keep almost all of the central plot elements from the 6th-8th seasons and still tell a good story with them if you presented them differently.

Right. While the "ending" ideas were GRRM, the show writers took a lot of liberties in filling in the blanks. If written well, you could still make those ending ideas work, although since people "know" what is going to happen, you'd have to mix things up a lot in order to not make things super predictable.