GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I hope somehow we get some action in Bravos, it sounds like a cool place.
The Iron Bank, the master swordsmen, and the Faceless Men all in one city. It's on the HBO map so maybe.
Don't forget Top Chef as well. That is the most popular attraction in Bravos.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Cybsled, you subtle meanie! how would he know its Braavos?
tongue.png

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
TargaryenswereValyrian. Valyria was an empire that went boom. Modern day Volantis sits in that area (i think?), but 'Valyrian' is a term for an old language, not a group of modern people.

*ubernerd mode ON*
If Japan sunk beneath the seas, 300 years later there would still be groups of people who call themselves Japanese. Especially so for those that maintain pure bloodlines, the Targaryens are still Valyrian.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
i checked online to see if my assumption was correct, and it was.

(btw another thing i said, about certain movies/shows using supplemental material via online-- as supplemental material that's great, to add extra stuff online or through DVD extras & whatnot. but when a show leaves out important details because "fuck it, they'll catch it online" that is half-assed. not saying about GoT, just saying in general)

anyhow, your japanese analogy still doesn't make targaryens 'valyrians'. they've been westorosi for centuries. there is no evidence, whether on screen or in any text that i know of so far, that uses the term valyrian as a racial or ethnic one. in addition, the physical trait of purple-indigo eyes & silver hair appears to be mostly targaryen (i.e. incest), not necessarily valyrian as a whole. i think the people of valyria were merely a sub-set of people from that region, not a race in and of themselves.

either way you slice it, the term 'valyrian' has not been used as anything but linguistic. you can look it up if you want.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Wasn't Daenerys to as Valyrian when her titles were being given to the representative of the town they are camped outside of now?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If Japan sunk beneath the seas, 300 years later there would still be groups of people who call themselves Japanese. Especially so for those that maintain pure bloodlines, the Targaryens are still Valyrian.
its 3000 years since the first targaryans landed in westeros and they were the only valyrians to do it(AFAIK). after 3000 years you are bound to be doing some serious mixing of the bloodlines. even an asian isnt going to look too asian after 3000 years of interbreeding with the Caucasoids

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol you're right, hmm i thought they had a longer history. either way, 300 years is still a plenty long time to mix up the race.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
lol you're right, hmm i thought they had a longer history. either way, 300 years is still a plenty long time to mix up the race.
300 years is about 15 generations. That is not a lot when talking about a family that is pro-incest. The Targ's of the series are likely VERY close to the old school family still.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
calling talisa or dany avalyrianwould sort of be like calling a brit or spaniard or frenchy or an italian (etc. etc.) a roman

now calling a modern valyrian a valyrian would be like calling a person from the present day city of rome a roman. edit: but i don't think anybody lives in valyria anymore.

id est, who cares.