GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

khalid

Unelected Mod
tricking Catelyn into thinking Tyrion owned the dagger
This in particular always struck me as incredibly risky and not too smart. There was all kinds of that this could have backfired, since there were probably plenty of witnesses to Tyrion's betting habits. Varys for sure could have busted him for it.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well in the case of the dagger he was dealing with people he knew were pretty stupid and way too trusting of him. So it wasn't quite the wild gamble it would be if he was talking to any one who was a regular King's Landing player. Catelyn's retarded ass trusted him because he wanted to bone her 60 years ago and Ned was Ned.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
LF also was pretty much pushing Ned every which way however he wanted while he was Hand of the King. I think it's less luck and more a clear understanding of where the families stood and what would happen if you pushed the right buttons.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This in particular always struck me as incredibly risky and not too smart. There was all kinds of that this could have backfired, since there were probably plenty of witnesses to Tyrion's betting habits. Varys for sure could have busted him for it.
especially since it was Valyrian steel. Shit doesn't run around without notice.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
LF also was pretty much pushing Ned every which way however he wanted while he was Hand of the King. I think it's less luck and more a clear understanding of where the families stood and what would happen if you pushed the right buttons.
all I'm saying is that his moves were all a little too convenient for my tastes.

Merrith

all I'm saying is that his moves were all a little too convenient for my tastes.
I can agree, and it might not just be all him doing the plotting. I just wonder why the show seems to be trying to push him as a player even more so than the books did. The scene with Varys calling him the most dangerous man in the 7 Kingdoms was a big warning sign.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Hard to believe this guy is responsible for the planning of the red wedding:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31542-1370274623-24.gif

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
The window to remove the Lannisters was the small one when Stannis, Renly and Robb all just declared and were still alive.

No one realized Stannis' hatred for Renly, Renly's puffed up self importance from Loras and Robb never really made it to the table and Stannis was too unbending to really manage much compromise anyways. So... it was really impossible or at least amazingly unlikely to work out due to the nature of the players involved.

Eddard really needed to step up and do something clever and get Stannis moving into position before Robert even died, but thinking people would respect the writ from the king he had, was too slow and everything went to shit.

Oh, and I recall Catelyn, in the show at least, trying to get Eddard to stay in Winterfell and not go to King's Landing.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Well, with the dagger he was just seizing an opportunity. He could always say he must have been mistaken.

But yeah, most of what happened was well beyond LF's plans or expectations.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The window to remove the Lannisters was the small one when Stannis, Renly and Robb all just declared and were still alive.

No one realized Stannis' hatred for Renly, Renly's puffed up self importance from Loras and Robb never really made it to the table and Stannis was too unbending to really manage much compromise anyways. So... it was really impossible or at least amazingly unlikely to work out due to the nature of the players involved.

Eddard really needed to step up and do something clever and get Stannis moving into position before Robert even died, but thinking people would respect the writ from the king he had, was too slow and everything went to shit.

Oh, and I recall Catelyn, in the show at least, trying to get Eddard to stay in Winterfell and not go to King's Landing.
They changed it for the show. In the books Catelyn pushed Eddard to go to King's Landing and pushed for Sansa to marry Joeffrey.

And I think if Robb had teamed up with Stannis after Renly got cooter demoned they would've had an on-paper advantage to take KL.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, the wall went up 8000 years ago, and the dragons have been extinct for 150 years. I don't think magic is as linked to the dragons as most people think. (And I mentioned this before.) I think it was a catalyst to them coming back in force, but there were many people in the book who were practicing magic. The key point is that the Others technically never left. There's many people who claim they saw the Others, and they also said magic was never as strong as it was back then, when the wall went up with the help of the children of the forest.

Realize I'm just grasping at straws; you can make a billion theories based on shit in the book, but there's just so many coincidences and with GRRM saying he'll explain it'll be something ridiculous I'm sure.

"Magic used to be an elemental force until it gained sentience and became the Others."
The White Walkers are held back by the magic of the Wall. When the dragons were killed magic started to fade. Now that the Wall is near to breaking I'm sure other wards and such are failing as well, letting them roam free again.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
And I think if Robb had teamed up with Stannis after Renly got cooter demoned they would've had an on-paper advantage to take KL.
Completely, but Stannis wouldn't bend on the whole "King of the Norph" thing and Robb would be kind of stuck because I don't think his Bannerman would let him back down from the whole "King of the Norph" thing either. So I'm not sure if they could work together well.

Stannis also lost some men after cooter-wraithing Renly, like the Tyrell's, but Stannis and Robb together could probably bully Lysa into getting off her ass and sending Banners to fight with them.

Merrith

Completely, but Stannis wouldn't bend on the whole "King of the Norph" thing and Robb would be kind of stuck because I don't think his Bannerman would let him back down from the whole "King of the Norph" thing either. So I'm not sure if they could work together well.

Stannis also lost some men after cooter-wraithing Renly, like the Tyrell's, but Stannis and Robb together could probably bully Lysa into getting off her ass and sending Banners to fight with them.
Didn't Stannis actually gain men after Renly was killed? A good portion of his large army rallied to Stannis afterwards (was made a much bigger deal in the books, although I assume this was just lack of available screen time to deal with all of Renly's individual bannermen).

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If she hadn't rejected him, and gotten him almost killed in the process by Eddard's older brother, he probably wouldn't have turned to being a scheming fuck in the first place.

Its so obvious she's the cause of everything wrong with Petyr its not even funny.
Her sister played a big part of that as well. Remember it was her that sent the letter to Petyr and raped the shit out of him while he thought she was Caetlyn.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Didn't Stannis actually gain men after Renly was killed? A good portion of his large army rallied to Stannis afterwards (was made a much bigger deal in the books, although I assume this was just lack of available screen time to deal with all of Renly's individual bannermen).
Yes, many who swore to Renly went to Stannis once Renly died, still understanding Baratheon is the proper heir, not one of those Lannister mutants squatting on the throne now. Not all joined though, some fought and some switched sides or whatever.