GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i love scottish women, redheads especially, but you gotta watch your shit around them because the bitch could explode at any moment. margaery be plotting, yeah, let her. as long as it isnt my death so she can become a queen, then all is good.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
No matter who you pick in what order, Melisandre would appear and try to appeal to all 3 categories at once ;o
That's why she isn't included because it wouldn't even be a fair contest. Everyone would just pick Marry Melisandre, Fuck Melisandre, Kill Melisandre. The "Rez melisandre, fuck Melisandre again" is implied.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
i love scottish women, redheads especially, but you gotta watch your shit around them because the bitch could explode at any moment. margaery be plotting, yeah, let her. as long as it isnt my death so she can become a queen, then all is good.
Where in Westeros is Scotland, exactly?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Book - a few thousand Unsullied defeat an army of 50,000 Dothraki
Show - a dozen Unsullied slaughtered by 20 Sons of the Harpy
yeah, not at all accurate. Not sure where the fuck you people are getting that unsullied are fucking gladiators or some shit. It certainly isn't from the books or the tv show. I blame Zack fucking Snyder and his rendition of 300. "300 dudes standing together spears out and shields locked in a shield wall, moving as a single unit and refusing to back down is boring. let's have the spartans break ranks and do kung fu and shit. we'll speed up and slow down the action sequences and everything."

The unsullied's sole advantage is discipline. They are weaker than normal men (a result of castration before puberty). They are dulled to pain from the wine of courage they drink from the day they begin training, and they completely lack fear. Those qualities make them the best infantryman units in the world. They do not break when charged by calvary, they do not flinch when arrows are rained down on them. They do not show any hesitation when faced with superior numbers. They march unblinking into the face of death.

However as both the books and the TV show have stated and illustrated, they are terrible as city guards or riot police. They are an army, they aren't a city watch.

relevant book passages:
"An army," said Ser Jorah. "If Strong Belwas is so much to your liking you can buy hundreds more like him out of the fighting pits of Meereen... but it is Astapor I'd set my sails for. In Astapor you can buy Unsullied."
"The slaves in the spiked bronze hats?" Dany had seen Unsullied guards in the Free Cities, posted at the gates of magisters, archons, and dynasts. "Why should I want Unsullied? They don't even ride horses, and most of them are fat."
"The Unsullied you may have seen in Pentos and Myr were household guards. That's soft service, and eunuchs tend to plumpness in any case. Food is the only vice allowed them. To judge all Unsullied by a few old household slaves is like judging all squires by Arstan Whitebeard, Your Grace. Do you know the tale of the Three Thousand of Qohor?"
"No." The coverlet slipped off Dany's shoulder, and she tugged it back into place.
"It was four hundred years ago or more, when the Dothraki first rode out of the east, sacking and burning every town and city in their path. The khal who led them was named Temmo. His khalasar was not so big as Drogo's, but it was big enough. Fifty thousand, at the least. Half of them braided warriors with bells ringing in their hair.
"The Qohorik knew he was coming. They strengthened their walls, doubled the size of their own guard, and hired two free companies besides, the Bright Banners and the Second Sons. And almost as an afterthought, they sent a man to Astapor to buy three thousand Unsullied. It was a long march back to Qohor, however, and as they approached they saw the smoke and dust and heard the distant din of battle.
"By the time the Unsullied reached the city the sun had set. Crows and wolves were feasting beneath the walls on what remained of the Qohorik heavy horse. The Bright Banners and Second Sons had fled, as sellswords are wont to do in the face of hopeless odds. With dark falling, the Dothraki had retired to their own camps to drink and dance and feast, but none doubted that they would return on the morrow to smash the city gates, storm the walls, and rape, loot, and slave as they pleased.
"But when dawn broke and Temmo and his bloodriders led their khalasar out of camp, they found three thousand Unsullied drawn up before the gates with the Black Goat standard flying over their heads. So small a force could easily have been flanked, but you know Dothraki. These were men on foot, and men on foot are fit only to be ridden down.
"The Dothraki charged. The Unsullied locked their shields, lowered their spears, and stood firm. Against twenty thousand screamers with bells in their hair, they stood firm.
"Eighteen times the Dothraki charged, and broke themselves on those shields and spears like waves on a rocky shore. Thrice Temmo sent his archers wheeling past and arrows fell like rain upon the Three Thousand, but the Unsullied merely lifted their shields above their heads until the squall had passed. In the end only six hundred of them remained... but more than twelve thousand Dothraki lay dead upon that field, including Khal Temmo, his bloodriders, his kos, and all his sons. On the morning of the fourth day, the new khal led the survivors past the city gates in a stately procession. One by one, each man cut off his braid and threw it down before the feet of the Three Thousand.
"Since that day, the city guard of Qohor has been made up solely of Unsullied, every one of whom carries a tall spear from which hangs a braid of human hair.
3k unsullied defeat 20k Dothraki because the Dothraki were too proud and stubborn to do anything but repeatedly charge into a wall of spears over and over and over again.
"Tell her that these have been standing here for a day and a night, with no food nor water. Tell her that they will stand until they drop if I should command it, and when nine hundred and ninety-nine have collapsed to die upon the bricks, the last will stand there still, and never move until his own death claims him. Such is their courage. Tell her that."
"I call that madness, not courage," said Arstan Whitebeard, when the solemn little scribe was done....
"What did the smelly old man say?" the slaver demanded of his translator. When she told him, he smiled and said, "Inform the savages that we call this obedience. Others may be stronger or quicker or larger than the Unsullied. Some few may even equal their skill with sword and spear and shield. But nowhere between the seas will you ever find any more obedient."
unsullied are not supermen. They are utterly obedient.
Some of the soldiers were tall and some were short. They ranged in age from fourteen to twenty, she judged. Their cheeks were smooth, and their eyes all the same, be they black or brown or blue or grey or amber. They are like one man, Dany thought, until she remembered that they were no men at all. The Unsullied were eunuchs, every one of them. "Why do you cut them?" she asked Kraznys through the slave girl. "Whole men are stronger than eunuchs, I have always heard."
"A eunuch who is cut young will never have the brute strength of one of your Westerosi knights, this is true," said Kraznys mo Nakloz when the question was put to him. "A bull is strong as well, but bulls die every day in the fighting pits. A girl of nine killed one not three days past in Jothiel's Pit. The Unsullied have something better than strength, tell her. They have discipline. We fight in the fashion of the Old Empire, yes. They are the lockstep legions of Old Ghis come again, absolutely obedient, absolutely loyal, and utterly without fear."
unsullied are weaker than normal soldiers, but they are more disciplined and they are fearless.

"Even the bravest men fear death and maiming," Arstan said when the girl was done.
Kraznys smiled again when he heard that. "Tell the old man that he smells of piss, and needs a stick to hold him up."
"Truly, your worship?"
He poked her with his lash. "No, not truly, are you a girl or a goat, to ask such folly? Say that Unsullied are not men. Say that death means nothing to them, and maiming less than nothing." He stopped before a thickset man who had the look of Lhazar about him and brought his whip up sharply, laying a line of blood across one copper cheek. The eunuch blinked, and stood there, bleeding. "Would you like another?" asked Kraznys.
"If it please your worship."
It was hard to pretend not to understand. Dany laid a hand on Kraznys's arm before he could raise the whip again. "Tell the Good Master that I see how strong his Unsullied are, and how bravely they suffer pain."
Kraznys chuckled when he heard her words in Valyrian. "Tell this ignorant whore of a westerner that courage has nothing to do with it."
"The Good Master says that was not courage, Your Grace."
"Tell her to open those slut's eyes of hers."
"He begs you attend this carefully, Your Grace."
Kraznys moved to the next eunuch in line, a towering youth with the blue eyes and flaxen hair of Lys. "Your sword," he said. The eunuch knelt, unsheathed the blade, and offered it up hilt first. It was a shortsword, made more for stabbing than for slashing, but the edge looked razor-sharp. "Stand," Kraznys commanded.
"Your worship." The eunuch stood, and Kraznys mo Nakloz slid the sword slowly up his torso, leaving a thin red line across his belly and between his ribs. Then he jabbed the swordpoint in beneath a wide pink nipple and began to work it back and forth.
"What is he doing?" Dany demanded of the girl, as the blood ran down the man's chest.
"Tell the cow to stop her bleating," said Kraznys, without waiting for the translation. "This will do him no great harm. Men have no need of nipples, eunuchs even less so." The nipple hung by a thread of skin. He slashed, and sent it tumbling to the bricks, leaving behind a round red eye copiously weeping blood. The eunuch did not move, until Kraznys offered him back his sword, hilt first. "Here, I'm done with you."
"This one is pleased to have served you."
Kraznys turned back to Dany. "They feel no pain, you see."
"How can that be?" she demanded through the scribe.
"The wine of courage," was the answer he gave her. "It is no true wine at all, but made from deadly nightshade, bloodfly larva, black lotus root, and many secret things. They drink it with every meal from the day they are cut, and with each passing year feel less and less. It makes them fearless in battle. Nor can they be tortured. Tell the savage her secrets are safe with the Unsullied. She may set them to guard her councils and even her bedchamber, and never a worry as to what they might overhear.
The scene in question was shitty in thathowthey died, not that they died. The scene in question was 7 unsullied (led by grey worm) vs 20-30 sons of the harpy. (there was also attacks all over the city, scenes interspersed with the main one, always with 8-20 men attacking 2 man unsullied patrols, maybe that's where you are getting the dozen unsullied from?)

The problem wasn't that they almost all died. That was a given vs the numbers they were facing. The problem is that the unsullied went all zack snyder leonidas mode trying to solo them all instead of forming up a shield wall. BTW those 7 unsullied killed like 22 people. Until it was down to just 8 of them vs an injured grey worm and more of them started coming in (the ones who were around town killing the small patrols of unsullied) and reinforcing them. That's when Sir Barristan shows up and goes beast mode for an old fuck and dies a hero's death. Barristan and greyworm end up killing 15 more fucking dudes by themselves, barristan kills like 11 of them, and he's not even wearing armor.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i stopped reading after this
"The Dothraki charged. The Unsullied locked their shields, lowered their spears, and stood firm. Against twenty thousand screamers with bells in their hair, they stood firm.
if we saw that in this fight things would have been totally different. its why we all are salty over how the unsullied went down like bitches.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
oh sorry let me TLDR it for u. I too am salty that they went down like bitches. They should of totally died like stoic, fearless fucking robots. but they absolutely totally should of died. There was no way they would of won. They didn't win the same fights in the books either. That's why Dany took the unsullied off of city watch duty. They are an army that is only strong because of discipline, fighting in a very rigid formation in the old Ghiscari legionnaire style (ranks of shield walls).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Note that they probably fought pitfighters who had an advantage over the unsullied in that environment. Also note that I didn't see the unsullied drop their spears and take out their short swords, which is what they should've done.

It really wasn't that surprising of a result, but the execution of the unsullied fighting was bad.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Note that they probably fought pitfighters who had an advantage over the unsullied in that environment. Also note that I didn't see the unsullied drop their spears and take out their short swords, which is what they should've done.

It really wasn't that surprising of a result, but the execution of the unsullied fighting was bad.
That was the first thing I thought as well, take out your goddamn short swords!!! It is why you are carrying the goddamn things!

Goddamn Grey Worm needs to get fired for failing to instill that shit in training, should be automatic. Assuming he survives his various wounds.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think Tommen is going to realize that Cersei fucked around and got between him and Margaery's pussy. And he'll do something about that. What I don't know, but something.
Book Tommen is just a child, he stamps anything put in front of him.

TV Tommen is a young adult, he will be more complicit in what happens to Cersei. I don't see why they wouldn't have Margaery locked up too and have that be the catalyst for him to fuck over Cersei.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I don't know if it's Martins intent but the TV show has done a really good job of showing the kids as extremes of Cersei and Jaime's personalities.

spronk

FPS noob
marge will poison ser pounce with wine, leading to charges of murder and animal buggery leveled against cersei.

melisandre will canoe in with gendry and rez ser pounce while infusing him with the blood of gendry. ser pounce fights cersei's champion, ser undead clegane in a trial by combat. The white walker kitten army sweeps through the southlands at that moment, raising their true king Azor Ahai reborn back to the throne.

pounce.jpg

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I watched episode 4 again and I think Barristan went out like a badass. We can argue whether him dying was a dumb thing writing-wise or not but he was mowing people down like a fucking boss. If he had his armor on he would have taken them all.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One of the greatest fighters in Westeros got killed by half a dozen people we'll never see again. That isn't a sweet way to die.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
One of the greatest fighters in Westeros got killed by half a dozen people we'll never see again. That isn't a sweet way to die.
By my count Barristan killed 12, and grey worm finished the last one who would have cut his throat so that was at least 13 on 1. Thats going out like a fucking boss in any universe.

* I'm counting kills as anyone who took a gigantic slash or stab wound from Barristan's sword.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yeah old guy with no armor murderslashes 12 people is not a bad way to go out.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
selmy died for nothing. he wasnt even defending dany. just a bunch of redshirts who should have been able to handle the situation on their own.

Cybsled

He did good considering his age and the lack of advantages. Your grandfather could have taken out 100 nazis with just a knife back in WW2, but it doesn't mean he can do the same when he's in his 70s/80s ;p