GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Tonight was a pretty good episode but it was rather slow, not a lot happened it seemed. Was cool to see Jamie get whooped even his his hands were restrained. Some progression with Brands story, that's about it though.

They need to cut out all Sansa scenes or make them like 30 seconds and that's it.
yes please, her uninteresting useless ass taking up half the episode was not appreciated

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
It does feel alittle slow right now but the same thing happened in season 2, story build up for the first few episodes then it was off to the races. From what I hear the 3rd book is the dope shit so I am really looking forward to when they kick it into high gear.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Third book is far and away the best, imo. The only other one that rivals is the first book.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
You gotta care a little bit about the books. Otherwise you wouldnt have this wonderful tv show with massive history behind it.

spronk

FPS noob
I liked the Queen of Thorn scenes, but man in my head Maggie Smith (Dowager Countess in Downton Abbey, Hogwarts Professor) was just the perfect actress for that character.

I like the season so far but really the book is far outstripping the series at this point, especially with the necessary cuts and 5-minute-scenes replacing 10 chapters of inner monologue and stuff. I fear its just going to get worse over time, with 2-3 really great episodes per season and 6-7 mediocre ones. Especially when the locations expand drastically to Dorne, the East, Iron Islands, etc and the quality of the story in books 4 & 5 are pretty underwhelming.

Didn't really like the Shae stuff at all, one moment she is Sansa's "protector" but we know she is going to betray Tyrion and (presumably) Sansa for gold, why keep changing a characters motivations around so much. Also seriously, seriously lacking Varys and Littlefinger scenes so far this season.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I liked the Queen of Thorn scenes, but man in my head Maggie Smith (Dowager Countess in Downton Abbey, Hogwarts Professor) was just the perfect actress for that character.

I like the season so far but really the book is far outstripping the series at this point, especially with the necessary cuts and 5-minute-scenes replacing 10 chapters of inner monologue and stuff. I fear its just going to get worse over time, with 2-3 really great episodes per season and 6-7 mediocre ones. Especially when the locations expand drastically to Dorne, the East, Iron Islands, etc and the quality of the story in books 4 & 5 are pretty underwhelming.

Didn't really like the Shae stuff at all, one moment she is Sansa's "protector" but we know she is going to betray Tyrion and (presumably) Sansa for gold, why keep changing a characters motivations around so much. Also seriously, seriously lacking Varys and Littlefinger scenes so far this season.
Re: Shae stuff - it doesn't help that the bitch playing that role is arguably the worst actor on the show. They should be giving her LESS time than in the books, not more. Not sure how that made it out of the editing room. She's dreadful in this. Agree with everything else as well.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That scene with shae also pretty much cemented baelish's pimp daddy status with the non book reading tv audience. Maybe so its a bigger shock when its revealed he is really as cunning as Varys. Speaking of, no varys yet this season?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Littlefinger is not as cunning as Varys, in my opinion. Varys is changing the fate of the entire kingdom, while Petyr is really just trying to change his own. He's basically the poor-man's version of Varys. I don't really know why he gets a lot of love around here. He's a weaselly fucker in the books as well. They are just really piling it on in the show.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
One thing I fear is the show meddling with the story so much it paints itself into corners that it has to use non-book things to get out of, sorta like Walking Dead. It ends up becoming its own beast and everyone just goes along because hey GRRM is a producer they wouldn't change stuff if he didn't agree maybe this is how he wanted it anyway... well, didn't Walking Dead also have the author as part of the show until he finally got mad and left... and yet that show continues with horrible writing.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I actually like TV Shae, she has better chemistry with Tyrion and she's actually interesting enough to invest in emotionally. In the books she was so stupid and annoying it was impossible to see what a man like Tyrion would want with her, and it made the way he acted about her frustrating instead of tragic.

In general I think whoever does the casting for this show deserves some kind of award. I've never seen a screen adaption of a book that manages to find so many actors who so perfectly fit their roles.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing I fear is the show meddling with the story so much it paints itself into corners that it has to use non-book things to get out of, sorta like Walking Dead. It ends up becoming its own beast and everyone just goes along because hey GRRM is a producer they wouldn't change stuff if he didn't agree maybe this is how he wanted it anyway... well, didn't Walking Dead also have the author as part of the show until he finally got mad and left... and yet that show continues with horrible writing.
I don't think your fears are reasonable and using the walking dead as an example of what not to do is too broad a pile of shit.

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
TWD went a bit overboard in how hard it tried to ruin a book. It's almost as bad as the Sword of Truth tv show(from what I've heard from ppl that read the book).

khalid

Unelected Mod
It ends up becoming its own beast and everyone just goes along because hey GRRM is a producer they wouldn't change stuff if he didn't agree maybe this is how he wanted it anyway... well, didn't Walking Dead also have the author as part of the show until he finally got mad and left... and yet that show continues with horrible writing.
Dude, we are so far from that it isn't even worthy of discussion atm. I mean, comparing the changes in ASOIAF to the Walking Dead? The Walking Dead in the same fucking paragraph as talking about Game of Thrones? No, just no.

The reason why I don't fear massive changes happening is that Benioff and Weiss are huge book fans of ASOIAF and their show has made a huge effort to be close to the books. When you heard they were making this in a tv show, did you honestly expect the cast to be as big as it is? I sure as fuck didn't, I expected them to massively consolidate the cast, after all in order for you to believe that the show would have as big a cast as it does now, you would have had to guess that they would employ the biggest cast on a tv show ever. Then, holy shit, that is exactly what they did!

Right now, while there have been changes from the book, at the end of each season, everyone is still essentially in the same place as in the books. When that changes, maybe then I will be worried, but don't EVER compare this fucking show to The Walking Dead.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
I don't think your fears are reasonable and using the walking dead as an example of what not to do is too broad a pile of shit.
I may have put some broads in a pile of shit, you are right. But, a good chunk of discussion and/or debate is differences between book and show...there has to be some equation where once changes are greater than some value, the show starts sucking and jumped over Iannis' lampreys with fricken' lasers on their heads.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I do agree that any changes to the content should be made for very good reasons, though I am very receptive to exposing new content (Ex: Almost all the Bobby B scenes, and now the Margery/Joeffrey scenes). Some stuff makes sense like putting Tywin with Arya at Harenhall. But some stuff like leaving out Strong Belwas and making Catelyn a more reasonable character I think is a mistake.