GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
God just thinking about Victarion and that whole story line makes me cringe. That was by far the worst installment of the books I feel.
It does seem like a "Christ, more characters? Do we really need all this? Can we resolve shit instead of expand it please?" but you just got to keep the faith there is a reason that will come clear at some point.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Personally I am really looking forward to Victarion meeting Dany. He may be dim as fuck but I kind of dig the whole Reaver/Viking badass thing he has going on. Also he seems to be Dany's type depending on how good looking he is. She has a real thing for dangerous men, and I would say Vic qualifies.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
He may remind her of Drogo. But with a flaming hand...

Speaking of which, I wish I had a clearer idea of what his hand looked like. Though after a search I imagine this is good as quasi-official art:
rrr_img_26443.jpg

khalid

Unelected Mod
Victarion's first act is going to be to try and enslave one of her own children. Dany will not be too pleased with that Im guessing.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
Look at Thoros. His stuff did nothing until finally he thought a friend was dying and he was at his wits end and then it worked.
Hmmm, I am not totally opposed to the whole "faith makes it work" theory, but I was under the assumption that the dragons coming into the world kind of jump started all this magical shit happening in these religions. And the reason why Thoros never saw anything like that happen before was because that was pre-dragons, and when he tried his resurrection spell after the dragons hatched it suddenly worked. Of course there is always the chance that the dragons are just a side effect of something else that is causing the magical stuff to occur (the comet?).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Personally I am really looking forward to Victarion meeting Dany. He may be dim as fuck but I kind of dig the whole Reaver/Viking badass thing he has going on. Also he seems to be Dany's type depending on how good looking he is. She has a real thing for dangerous men, and I would say Vic qualifies.
The problem I have with the iron islanders is that they are like vikings without the fun.

khalid

Unelected Mod
And the reason why Thoros never saw anything like that happen before was because that was pre-dragons, and when he tried his resurrection spell after the dragons hatched it suddenly worked.
That is a good point about Thoros. I think it is definitely true in the story that before the dragons were born, magic had been slowly dying out. All the evidence points to that, but given how inconsistent the standard of "kings blood" is, I can't see it being important to any ritual other than making the practitioners believe in it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i wonder if they will even bother including victarion or the other greyjoys vying for the throne. non book tv viewers are gonna be all wtf are these people all of a sudden.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well they've already introduced Pyke and the Greyjoys so there's some groundwork. And they're showing a bunch of Theon stuff that's not directly in the books so that sort of ties in some as well. That stuff plus the fact we just saw Mel put the hoodoo on Big Daddy Greyjoy implies the succession there could at least get a little attention. Plus god knows they have to fill time in these coming seasons, and with some of the players going bye bye next week they'll have some room I suppose.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Hmmm, I am not totally opposed to the whole "faith makes it work" theory, but I was under the assumption that the dragons coming into the world kind of jump started all this magical shit happening in these religions. And the reason why Thoros never saw anything like that happen before was because that was pre-dragons, and when he tried his resurrection spell after the dragons hatched it suddenly worked. Of course there is always the chance that the dragons are just a side effect of something else that is causing the magical stuff to occur (the comet?).
From what I remember, the Others returning was part of magic coming back into the world. They were returning before her dragons were born. TBH, a lot of the things that have happened can be explained by "faith makes it work". Dany knew nothing about magic, but after the Maegi fucked her over she realized life is needed to create life - hence her dragons.

I don't think the dragons were what created magic, or brought it back. Remember that the Others, the wargs being born to Starks (All of the Starks are wargs, or are least are assumed to be), the Red priests being able to see visions etc, happened before the dragons were born. Magic was already coming back, so I assume it allowed the dragons to return as well.

There's actually a lot of theories of what brought magic into the world, but Dany has been discredited as the cause; she is merely an effect.

As for Melisandre, honestly, I don't hate her or even sit there thinking, Jesus Stannis, you are fucking stupid.

Let's be honest; there are a shit ton of people in the book who fit the prophecies, and Melisandre IS seeing visions. Those visions point her to Stannis. She is able to help his quest to the throne, and he is, technically, the legitimate and lawful King.

Melisandre is not manipulating him for power. Her talks with Jon show that she truly believes Stannis is the rightful King, and needs to be on the throne to save the world. And the thing is, we can't prove she's wrong. Oh, we pretty much know she is. But all of her interactions with people, even though she exaggerates so they believe her, are relatively true. She sees things, and just as she said, her visions are never wrong but her interpretations are.

So shit is going on, but she is most likely wrong with Stannis. I'm not utterly against Stannis, because that entire god damn campaign is based on fucking truth and the law. Some of that shit is a bit bent, but in the end they are going off of some pretty god damn good assumptions. They don't know everything however, and even knowing a bit more probably wouldn't be enough to dissuade them from the truth. Rh'llor IS answering Melisandre after all, in her campaign.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Victarion like fucking old? Dany isn't going to want anything to do with him. He's thinking he's going to get there and TAKE Dany for himself. Sorry chump.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Victarion like fucking old? Dany isn't going to want anything to do with him. He's thinking he's going to get there and TAKE Dany for himself. Sorry chump.
Yeah I agree, I think he is in for one rude ass wake up call when he finally meets up with her.

Chrisd_sl

shitlord
All this talk about blood makes what the show did with the leeches really rub me the wrong way. She said the names of Joffrey, Robb, and Balon, who we all know die. When I first saw it, I just figured it'd be a "something kinda crappy" happens to them all. But no, we know they all die...and soon. So basically she has the power to kill everyone with just a 2 minute ritual. Why the fuck was this added to the show at all?

Edit: And now I feel retarded because I somehow missed all that in the book. So apparently the only change there was it was Edric instead. I'm starting to feel like GRRM fucked up adding that into ASoS.
She saw the deaths in the flames and then used the leeches to try and claim credit to convince Stannis to make the sacrifice.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Victarion is awesome.

Without a doubt Khal Drogo counts as kings blood (did you miss the dragon hatching?) but people in westeros may not nessesarily make that connection.

Cybsled

Well we do know that the Valyrians used magic to help tame dragons initially. The main problem is that no one truly understands how any of this works or what the techniques are. Some of the Maesters or Tyrion might have a decent idea, since they presumably have studied knowledge regarding dragons, but Vic won't know and Dany only has a handle on them because they view her as their mother, but even that will erode once they get older (which they are). For all we know, the horn is only part of the equation and you need some knowledge of speaking Valyrian to work some spells, too.