GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They got him out of his shell and all but at his core he's always going to quickly snap back to uber elite Unsullied.

Except for Missandei I guess. Just seemed such a harsh change for him to be executing prisoners even after Jon questions it...but then leaves Tyrion and Jon alive for weeks for everyone to gather and laugh at Sam's idea for democracy while supposedly Tyrion and Jon's lives are hanging in the balance.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'll echo quite a few in my belief that it wasn't a terrible way to end the series if you take the main points, but said ending was not reached in a correct or compelling manner. Definitely believe D&D got handed some bullet points on some of the more critical details and literally couldn't even connect the dots. If I gave more of a fuck, I'd make a meme of someone handing them a connect the dot's coloring book, followed by the Key and Peele sweating gif. I firmly believe D&D just wanted to blitz this thing out so they can move onto slobbing Mickey's D full time. I have to give major props to all actors that managed to finish this out, it's not hard to see most of them had reservations about the final season, but at least they were professional enough to finish their jobs. Honestly seeing how it all ended, and several interviews from her now, I give Emilia Clarke extra credit for the shit hoagie she had to eat. I've never felt she was that bad of an actor (she's also no Marlon Brando), but especially seeing what she was able to do with those morons at the helm, I'm not going to black list her.

Reading Fire and Blood, and getting a sense of how things went for around 300 years after Aegon took Westeros, the ending leaves some interesting possibilities for how the world could go forward. I'd be on board for a direct sequel picking up 10-20 years later, and work in some cameos from the surviving cast. Them setting Bran on the throne would definitely leave Westeros ripe for some intrigue and scheming, and while mutated bird boy would "see" a lot of it coming, once the realm recovered some, they've set the stage for a lot of big shit to go down. Could easily see Dorne break ranks and reclaim their own independence, along with some of the other kingdoms, or all of them. GRRM may have had grand ideas of writing multiple series, could see King Snow Beyond the Wall rallying the true north and swooping in to put out all the fires years later, culminating in him being King like he always should have been. I know in the show the characters were all 3 or 4 years older than they were in the books, but at the end of the series I think Jon is in his early to mid 20's...ish. Leaves plenty of life for more shit to happen. I guess we will see once their next take on the IP launches and if they can keep something going. If they shit the bed on the prequel, it will likely be the death knell for the "franchise".

This thread has definitely taught me how little attention a lot of people pay to what's going on. So many posts that contain questions and/or rustled jimmies about things that were literally in the show, not to mention a lot of hate and vitriol that could be avoided if some of those spewing it could rub two of their brain cells together long enough to get a clue and look. Then again, even if they looked, it's obvious they wouldn't be able to comprehend on a level sufficient for them to understand, so it's a wash. I give GRRM some credit, his books are dense, and reading the Fire and Blood "history" book, just the shear amount of names that get spit out constantly, I can understand why his process would take a long time, keeping all of that shit straight has got to be a full time job in and of itself. The show did a commendable job whittling that down, but even with kid gloves, some of the spergburgers in here can't even keep up.

Well said. Not perfect but I enjoyed the ending.

Many complaints in this thread show just how little comprehension amongst some there is - e.g. thinking the wall went down at castle black, not realising that Jon’s ending as king beyond the wall was a subtle and fitting end to his story coming full circle and not understanding how Dany had been built up as a killer over multiple seasons (and I actually felt her descent into madness made a lot of sense and was acted well).

Merrith

thinking the wall went down at castle black, not realising that Jon’s ending as king beyond the wall was a subtle and fitting end to his story coming full circle and not understanding how Dany had been built up as a killer over multiple seasons (and I actually felt her descent into madness made a lot of sense and was acted well).

There is a massive difference between item #1 and the other two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wut?
Winter was the Night King, he brought an endless winter AKA death.
Except at the end of s7 as Jaime was leaving KL it showed snow falling on him. If winter was a metaphor then that's just proves yet again they are shit writers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I love all these morons defending this shit show by saying we didn't understand it, I bet you all liked the Last Jedi too right?

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I love all these morons defending this shit show by saying we didn't understand it, I bet you all liked the Last Jedi too right?
we're the dumb ones? Will Smith would have been a great Grey Worm

• 1Worf

Merrith

I can fully understand people saying Clarke did her best with what she was given for the turn to madness, I just disagree it was fleshed out anywhere near as well as they could have done it with a few simple scenes (and there was plenty of fluff this season that could have gone to the chopping block to make time for other stuff). I also totally understand people being "happy" for Jon in that he probably ended up where he wanted, back in the real North with the Wildlings...assuming you ignore all of the big drama that was played up throughout the story over his parentage and him v. NK which then ended up having virtually no real effect on the story whatsoever.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I can fully understand people saying Clarke did her best with what she was given for the turn to madness, I just disagree it was fleshed out anywhere near as well as they could have done it with a few simple scenes (and there was plenty of fluff this season that could have gone to the chopping block to make time for other stuff).
Yeah, I agree. They could have probably fixed this season with less than 40 minutes worth of scenes to actually put some exposition into characters' thoughts and actions.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Did the Unsullied and Dothraki get rezzed after the battle with the dead? I mean it seemed very much like they were decimated from that battle, but come episodes 5 and 6 they were seemingly thousands strong again... Especially the Dothraki. We seem them all charge into the army of the dead at the start of episode 3 where most of them should have been taken down very quickly, but in episodes 5 and 6 there seems to be even more of them...does not compute. Was there a scene somewhere where they for some reason decided not to bring all their troops to fight the undead?

• 1Like

Merrith

Did the Unsullied and Dothraki get rezzed after the battle with the dead? I mean it seemed very much like they were decimated from that battle, but come episodes 5 and 6 they were seemingly thousands strong again... Especially the Dothraki. We seem them all charge into the army of the dead at the start of episode 3 where most of them should have been taken down very quickly, but in episodes 5 and 6 there seems to be even more of them...does not compute. Was there a scene somewhere where they for some reason decided not to bring all their troops to fight the undead?

Grey Worm said they had half their strength after fighting at Winterfell, so Unsullied still a few thousand strong. Dothraki I assumed they only had 20-50 left tops after the scene where they all rode out to meet the dead with flaming swords, though. Episode 5 seemed like there were some riders left but not too many, whereas come the finale suddenly she had a couple hundred again.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Bran as King with an independent North makes no sense, what army/Bannermen are now sworn to him and him alone?

He is totally at the mercy of the six kingdoms because he just gave away his own Kingdom.

If Sansa brings the North to defend Bran then the North is no longer independent/neutral

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bran as King with an independent North makes no sense, what army/Bannermen are now sworn to him and him alone?

He is totally at the mercy of the six kingdoms because he just gave away his own Kingdom.

If Sansa brings the North to defend Bran then the North is no longer independent/neutral
any group of hooligans can retake the throne from bran at this point if they wanted to. the city is destroyed, unguarded and unmanned. its best not thinking about it too much. and psst, there is no commerce and no need for a master of coin. these guys are just larping.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Putting aside the prequels, I'd put money on HBO trying to continue this story within 15 years.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also, how fucking dumb are the Starks at the end? I mean they JUST figured that the lone wolf dies but the pack survives, and then... and then they all go off and be lone wolves again.

The real moral of the story is the same as it was from season 1: Starks are fucking dumb.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Everyone knew she was going to go off, Varys even tells Jon and Tyrion what's coming. It's the why that was rushed, and the actual execution of when (literally right after winning?) that was god awful.

Friend of mine just had an interesting idea, if Dany would allow Tyrion a trial by combat. Could have had the Jon v. Grey Worm fight we deserved in final episode. Not that I think Grey Worm should have been the semi minor character they elevated to that stature in the final 2.05 episodes, should have had his red shirt death at Battle for Winterfell like Beric...but whatever.

Cracks me up Grey Worm so ready for justice from Tyrion, the guy who got him and Missandei to tell jokes while drinking wine way back in Meereen.
trial by combat are the ancient laws of westeros, not the laws of Dany the bitch

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
any group of hooligans can retake the throne from bran at this point if they wanted to. the city is destroyed, unguarded and unmanned. its best not thinking about it too much. and psst, there is no commerce and no need for a master of coin. these guys are just larping.
is Podrick Lord Commander of the Kingsguard??? or just new Hodoor

• 1Like
  • 1Worf