GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think the biggest mistake GRRM made was putting the White Walkers into the story in the first place. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the plot. It's the reason he never finished the books. He has zero fucking clue what to do about an army of the undead. We got D&D's version of what should happen, and it fucking sucked. I doubt Martin's version would be much better. The White Walkers should've either never been put in, or they should've been something that was just beyond the wall, and the reason the Wildlings wanted to get back below it. Even if they chased Bran as he was trying to make it to the Three Eyed Raven, cool. It works. But having everyone who has been fighting for years all of a sudden band together to fight a common foe was just plain stupid, lazy writing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Before the show my pet theory was that the White Walkers were more of an elemental opposition to fire (represented by the return of dragons) rather than villains in their own right. I even thought it was possible that Dany would just go around burning Westeros such that they might actually be worthwhile allies to have. GRRM seemed to like messing with people's expectations when it came to good guys and bad guys. Assuming a rough outline of the show will mostly match a rough outline of the books I'm not super sure what the point of them even is.

I also thought it made more sense for Winterfell to fall and the White Walkers to march south destroying everything to set up a final mass battle between all that remained of the armies of man versus the undead culminating in the full return of magic to the world and the birth of a new age of heroes but that didn't happen either.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Before the show my pet theory was that the White Walkers were more of an elemental opposition to fire (represented by the return of dragons) rather than villains in their own right. I even thought it was possible that Dany would just go around burning Westeros such that they might actually be worthwhile allies to have. GRRM seemed to like messing with people's expectations when it came to good guys and bad guys. Assuming a rough outline of the show will mostly match a rough outline of the books I'm not super sure what the point of them even is.

I also thought it made more sense for Winterfell to fall and the White Walkers to march south destroying everything to set up a final mass battle between all that remained of the armies of man versus the undead culminating in the full return of magic to the world and the birth of a new age of heroes but that didn't happen either.
i used to think the White Walkers were an allegory for something. maybe impending death or just that you cant have good without evil. but Valyrians and their dragons could be evil too, so yeah the whole setup with the wall and these frozen zombies really is a head scratcher. especially if you have men defeating them in The Long Night thousands of years earlier, yet never give any hints as to how that happened and why the WW defeat didnt include killing every single Walker. like, ok they kill a shitload of walkers, then the walkers just stop coming and turn back? wouldnt they keep coming until they were all dead? we also have these different islands like Asshai where batshit crazy things happen on a daily basis. there was no exit of magic there because its been a thing for the entire time.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
i used to think the White Walkers were an allegory for something. maybe impending death or just that you cant have good without evil. but Valyrians and their dragons could be evil too, so yeah the whole setup with the wall and these frozen zombies really is a head scratcher. especially if you have men defeating them in The Long Night thousands of years earlier, yet never give any hints as to how that happened and why the WW defeat didnt include killing every single Walker. like, ok they kill a shitload of walkers, then the walkers just stop coming and turn back? wouldnt they keep coming until they were all dead? we also have these different islands like Asshai where batshit crazy things happen on a daily basis. there was no exit of magic there because its been a thing for the entire time.

Enjoy. :)

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Oh boy, it gets worse lol. This article is about the White Walkers specifically and what they represent.

This is going to rustle some jimmies.

I warned you.

YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT IT IS!

what.gif

hahahahahaha.png

Last edited:
  • 3Worf
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh boy, it gets worse lol. This article is about the White Walkers specifically and what they represent.

I warned you.

View attachment 353155
lol, yeah thats a cop out explanation by a person who has no idea what his own creation is supposed to mean.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The thing people miss with GRRM, is it's not uncommon for someone to have a really great stretch and then come back to reality. It happens in sports a lot. Roger Maris may be the prime example. Martin wrote some really great stuff and then couldn't keep up that level of quality so he just stopped finishing the story. Better to just not publish it than to publish shit he knows isn't as good as the earlier stuff and be ridiculed for it. Instead he takes the heat for being "slow". It will never be finished because he knows he can't finish it.

• 1Garbage

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The thing people miss with GRRM, is it's not uncommon for someone to have a really great stretch and then come back to reality. It happens in sports a lot. Roger Maris may be the prime example. Martin wrote some really great stuff and then couldn't keep up that level of quality so he just stopped finishing the story. Better to just not publish it than to publish shit he knows isn't as good as the earlier stuff and be ridiculed for it. Instead he takes the heat for being "slow". It will never be finished because he knows he can't finish it.
he wasnt having a good streak, he had a bad streak, the last 2 books he created massive amounts of story bloat. he made way too many subplots and its impossible now to tie everything up in 2 books . so he's freaked out

• 1Garbage

Khane

Got something right about marriage
he wasnt having a good streak, he had a bad streak, the last 2 books he created massive amounts of story bloat. he made way too many subplots and its impossible now to tie everything up in 2 books . so he's freaked out

Sounds like a nice day for a.... white wedding.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I warned you.

View attachment 353155

Are you seriously surprised by this? It wasn't obvious from halfway through the first book?

Are you just fucking dumb?

• 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There never should have been more than 5 books.

The basic structure is a 3 act story:

Act 1: Guy is warning people about the winter/white walkers (aka climate change) but petty, shortsighted people just want to play politics instead.
Act 2: People continue to play politics, white walkers show up.
Act 3: Everyone is forced to deal with the white walkers.

This typical 3 act story plot is broke up because GRRM smartly chooses to kill off all the adults who actually have the political will to solve the problem in act 1.

Now the story becomes:

Act 1: Guy is warning people about the winter but he is killed.
Act 2: His kids have to grow up while the adults are playing politics.
Act 3: Kids start coming into their own, realize THEY have to deal with the white walkers, but first they have to overthrow the adults.
Act 4: Kids are now grown, now they have to overthrow the adults.
Act 5: The kids who are now adults deal with the white walkers.

There's no point to doing this story in 7 acts, and there never was.

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There never should have been more than 5 books.

The basic structure is a 3 act story:

Act 1: Guy is warning people about the winter/white walkers (aka climate change) but petty, shortsighted people just want to play politics instead.
Act 2: People continue to play politics, white walkers show up.
Act 3: Everyone is forced to deal with the white walkers.

This typical 3 act story plot is broke up because GRRM smartly chooses to kill off all the adults who actually have the political will to solve the problem in act 1.

Now the story becomes:

Act 1: Guy is warning people about the winter but he is killed.
Act 2: His kids have to grow up while the adults are playing politics.
Act 3: Kids start coming into their own, realize THEY have to deal with the white walkers, but first they have to overthrow the adults.
Act 4: Kids are now grown, now they have to overthrow the adults.
Act 5: The kids who are now adults deal with the white walkers.

There's no point to doing this story in 7 acts, and there never was.
maybe he was just stalling, you know there is a popular story that GRRM got pissed off because the fans collective on the net figured out his whole story and so he decided to scrap his original outline and go another way. thats where the many characters and possible heirs to the throne started popping up and so he had to build backstories for all of them. maybe he was hoping he would get inspiration from one of those subplots to carry on in a different direction, but instead he is still stuck but now has a massive world of pov characters he doesnt know what to do with. he did knock off Quentyn, i think. its still a big mess.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Are you seriously surprised by this? It wasn't obvious from halfway through the first book?

Are you just fucking dumb?
The National Esquire'ish style of posting wasn't clue enough I was being facetious?

amateur.gif

61kdj8c15vL._AC_SY445_.jpg

• 2Like