GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
There are theories that Mance is actually Rhaegar. I don't buy those either. But...

The more I think about it, the more of a possibility it is that Varys is a Targaryan. He's been working on disrupting the current power and getting the Targaryans back in power. He keeps his head shaven and is a master of disguise. He contradicts himself in the books once saying he was born a slave and once saying he was an orphan. In Myr, he had his dingle cut off "for some dark spell". They're followers of R'hlor in Myr, and who else do we know that likes to use Kingly body parts in spells? I'm not about to try and figure out the Targaryan family tree, though, but it would kind of give Varys's character some reason behind it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not uncommon for someone to be an orphan AND a slave. That's not really contradictory information. I really doubt Varys is a targer and there's almost zero chance Mance is actually Rhaegar. That's just some lumie level conspiracy shit.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Here's a quote from Cersei that attempts to justify Varys remaining alive, but it just doesn't sell me on the idea.
I think they do a pretty good job of it actually.

Look at Tyrion. Tyrion is convinced that Varys is on his side, or at least enough that Tyrion never makes any moves against him. Varys is doing that same kind of shit to many other people.

Yeah, I don't buy the Varys or Mance stuff at all. Varys has said in the books that he just wants the "good of the realm" and he sees the Targaryens in power as the best thing. How well that holds up in the last couple books we'll see. Also, Rhaegar died on the Trident. Thousands of soldiers saw it happen.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
mance was at Winterfell as a bard when robb and jon snow were young. do you think Ned Stark is gonna see Rhaegar hanging out and not wonder wtf he is doing there?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think they do a pretty good job of it actually.

Look at Tyrion. Tyrion is convinced that Varys is on his side, or at least enough that Tyrion never makes any moves against him. Varys is doing that same kind of shit to many other people.
I guess it's a matter of opinion. Tyrion isn't convinced Varys is on his side though.
Tyrion_sl said:
Lord Varys, sometimes I feel as though you are the best friend I have in King's Landing and sometimes I feel you are my worst enemy

khalid

Unelected Mod
I guess it's a matter of opinion. Tyrion isn't convinced Varys is on his side though.
Yeah, he is definitely doing a balancing act.

I think the real problem is how do you do a balancing act with someone like Cersei. People freaked out at the scene in the tv show when Cersei threatened to just off LF, but I actually thought it was a scene that could have happened. Cersei could have easily had Varys killed anytime from the end of book 1 to midway book 3 without any problem. Maybe his little birds would have given him advance warning, but I doubt it if she just randomly got pissed and ordered lannister guards to kill him.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, he is definitely doing a balancing act.

I think the real problem is how do you do a balancing act with someone like Cersei. People freaked out at the scene in the tv show when Cersei threatened to just off LF, but I actually thought it was a scene that could have happened. Cersei could have easily had Varys killed anytime from the end of book 1 to midway book 3 without any problem. Maybe his little birds would have given him advance warning, but I doubt it if she just randomly got pissed and ordered lannister guards to kill him.
Yep. I don't remember the details too well, but if I were Varys I'd stay the fuck away from people like Cersei, Tywin, Olenna etc and try to ply my trade against more honorable characters like Tyrion and Eddard. Which from my bad memory he does.

The reveal that he's secretly sowing chaos to help Aegon is tremendously cool for his character. I always felt his character was a bit off and had no real motivation. I think Eddard said it best when he asked why Varys was helping him. "For the good of the kingdom". lol.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
That Tyrion quote is about Tyrion and his duality. Sometimes Tyrion is a selfish prick and other times he puts the needs of the kingdom first and foremost. Varys however serves only one purpose. At least that's my take

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
They've got their work cut out for them trying to make him being voted as Lord Cmdr convincing. In the books he's a badass, in the show he's a mewling welp.
They still have the attack on Castle Black. The guy has a decent track record of holding his own with a sword. If he gives a good show of being a badass in a full on battle, it's not too much of a stretch to have the members of the watch to look at him as a good pick for Lord Commander.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Why sneak the poison in with Sansa? Makes zero sense.
Because it implicates Sansa/House Stark when it gets investigated? Why weaken just House Lannister, when you can potentially weaken the Starks as well? Like Littlefinger said, chaos is a ladder and "the climb" is all there is.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Because it implicates Sansa/House Stark when it gets investigated? Why weaken just House Lannister, when you can potentially weaken the Starks as well? Like Littlefinger said, chaos is a ladder and "the climb" is all there is.
I did not realize they have cameras in Westeros. How are they going to know the poison was on Sansa's necklace? Why take the risk of doing that when you can sneak the poison in yourself? Also what House Stark?

spronk

FPS noob
jon snow got elected because sam did some pope-style shenanigans, convincing the two main opposing camps that their guy couldn't win so they should vote for jon snow to thwart their hated enemy. which ultimately led to his downfall, not having a really strong support base.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Who said that was a spoiler? There is no way of knowing as a lot of parties are implicated. We are just arguing whether or not the idea that Tyrell's poisoned Joff by smuggling poison in through Sansa is plausible. To me it seems Tad10 level of pants on head retarded. Others disagree, hence the argument.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
So, the Tyrell hag killed her crazy son in law, Joffrey. How does that help the Tyrells get the throne if Margaery is not getting the throne after Joffrey? What was the name of the sibling Tyrion got shipped off earlier? But that was a girl, right?

She was sent to foster in Dorne by Tyrion when he was acting Hand, in I think season 2? Cersei was pissed as hell at him for it. Hence Oberyn's veiled threat about his family watching her to Cersei during the episode. She is the second child, Tommen is the youngest.