GoT - Is Over, Post Your Drogon Sightings

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i never see Oberyn mentioned on these lists is it because he doesn't use a sword?

i always thought it was something like

Arthur Dayne
Barriston Selmy
Jaime (pre-nerf)
The Mountain
Ned stark
Sandor
Jaime (post-nerf)

Bronn would be in there probably either above Ned or Sandor? Loras would be pretty high too im assuming but not sure where.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco - in the pussy thread you said you think the Mountain is the baddest man on the planet. Is that what you actually believe? Or is 'baddest' more meant to describe him skull fucking the country side for 3 books?

I ask because I've always assumed Barristan was the baddest dude in the current timeline.

Before people jump down my throat about bringing up THIS discussion, eat shit. That is all.
Character X is the most powerful character and would beat all other characters despite this being a pure fiction and the reader having no way to accurately measure their strength!!!

I think Sterling has the right of it with tiers. Not only is it tenuous to rank real fighters (as in, MMA fighters, boxers, grapplers etc) in a meaningful way, but it's also not useful in fiction. The fights themselves are just machinations of the plot rather than systematic entities that control the plot.

I think all you could effectively do is look at a fighter, Ex, the mountain, and then create a 'bubble' of fighters that, if they were able to best him in fair combat, would not annoy the reader. If pre-nerf Jaime were to fight prime Bobby B the result could go either way. The reader would either see Jaime slice n dice Bobby B, or Jaime's breastplate would get caved in. The reader would have to accept that.

Now if pre-faceless Arya would have danced around Meryn Fucking Trant and riposted him in the face, saving Syrio Fortell, the reader would become incredulous and it'd be a plot hole. In fact the idea that Syrio Fortell would have died to Meryn Fucking Trant is either a plot hole, or a reveal that Syrio was pretty much full of shit along with all of Arya's training. This would honestly be more interesting than him showing up again.

So to answer your question more directly, I'd say there's no characters in the GoT universe, from Aegon II to prime Selmy to prime Arthur Dayne to Strong Belwas that would not be in lethal danger in Oberyn's place, but it's impossible to say how a fight would go.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
i never see Oberyn mentioned on these lists is it because he doesn't use a sword?

i always thought it was something like

Arthur Dayne
Barriston Selmy
Jaime (pre-nerf)
The Mountain
Ned stark
Sandor
Jaime (post-nerf)

Bronn would be in there probably either above Ned or Sandor? Loras would be pretty high too im assuming but not sure where.
post nerf jaime doesn't belong on any of these lists. A hedge knight would defeat him.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Even if you're strictly a show watcher and know nothing of the Mountain in the books, you should still be disappointed because the actor from season 1 was leagues ahead of this guy.
Yup....never read the books but the actor from season 1 looked like a fucking psycopath.and from what the Hound tells, maybe he really is.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My issue with the previous Mountains is they were all very tall but also lanky. When I think of the mountain I think of an absolutely freak of nature in both height and width. The new guy fits that better than the others. I will agree they should have done some makeup trickeries to make him resemble The Hound at least in the slightest.
I'm not sure I'd call Conan Stevens 'lanky' at all.

leaf

Decline Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Loras would be pretty high too im assuming but not sure where.
In terms of swordsmen, it is known that Loras' brother Garlan is the true talent. Loras was described as an excellent jouster/horseman as opposed to being great in the melee/swordsman. Loras would not make the list IMO.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
As I remember from the books, Oberyn simply chose to use a spear for the trial by combat with the Mountain because of the specific advantage it would give him in that particular fight (ie. ability to strike from distance and negate the reach of the Mountain's own weapons and his immense strength). Not that he was any less proficient with a sword or any other weapon. There is also the factor of his reputation of using poisons and the way that was frowned upon (remember Pycelle saying that poison was the weapon of women and eunuchs) causing his prowess in combat to be generally dismissed.

That said, I agree that the question of greatest warrior in Westeros is a rock/paper/scissors situation.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The Moutnain in the second season is a bean stalk and looked awful. The first season was Conan Stevens and he was perfect.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The first season was Conan Stevens and he was perfect.
Yup. First thing I thought of was Brian Blessed 30 years ago. Conan Stevens was meant to play the Mountain. He done goofed.

rrr_img_67290.jpg

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I hope they keep the line in when Qyburn explains milk of the poppy doesn't work on the Mountain because he spent half his life drinking it like other men drink ale.

It's the little things like that which make GRRM such a good author. Making the Mountain a junkhead added unexpected depth.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Oberyn doesn't fight in tournaments. So while he has a reputation of a badass, it's also hard to say how he measures up. Which likely enhances the perception of him.

Think of this too - practically everyone who has ever fought the Mountain likely tried to use his size against him by playing keepaway. Only to find out the hard way that he's as fast or faster than they are when both are wearing armor. The only way to have a chance is to go in with no armor at all - you're getting one shot one way or the other anyway. SL1 like a boss.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He was knocked off of his horse by Rhaegar and Barristan in two different tournaments at Storms End. He also crippled Willas Tyrell at a tourney.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I will be pissed if it ends up like this for a lot of reasons, but mainly because there is no way he could fit in Westeros being destroyed and everything else in your theory into two books without completely fucking it up. The others would have had to destroy everything by the end of book 3 for this to be viable in my opinion.

And Jon can't be prince of the North or anything else because he's dead.
Obviously I'm no soothsayer, but I think it's possible. He has two books left unless he re-negs. He has like 15+ core characters and dozens of others that the readers/viewers are invested in. The only way he's going to end up wrapping shit up is to bring them together. I think basically it's going to be as obvious as the series title. You're Ice Side or you're Fire side. Not necessarily your 'team', but where you are. You're in Esos with dragon army planning the invasion or you're resistance on Westeros fighting skeletor. You can't have the series finish with the 7 fucking separate camps in different areas all dealing with their shit. They've got the X-Men Last Stand this shit. I think Jon Snow will be Captain Resistance and Dany will become Queen Dragon-Rider Freedom Bringer. Who comes out as boss after all that shit, who knows.

Also, Jon is as dead as Podrick.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Oberyn doesn't fight in tournaments. So while he has a reputation of a badass, it's also hard to say how he measures up.
Oberyn is past his prime, and we only have his family to vouch for him. That said, he pretty much wtfpwns the Mountain.

As Jorah mentions in one of the books, armor makes all the difference. If Drogo had been taught to fight in armor he'd probably be near the top. That's the whole problem with the other continent and Dany's army. I don't see how they can stand against heavy horses and knights.

And yeah, based on the books it seems like even in his dotage Selmy is the baddest mutha fucker on the planet.