Granblue Fantasy: Relink

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Anyone else play the demo? Had a blast - hard to describe, seems like the first 20-30 hours will be a basic party based JRPG driven loosely by a story then end game loop will be kill bosses from a hub and master all characters while leveling up weapons and sigils. It's a ton of fun, plays great and the combat is really interesting. Every character from the demo plays quite a bit differently from one another and I'm really stoked for release. Going PC to test out new OLED 4k monitor because the two resolution modes on PS5 are kinda meh - it looks kind of janky in performance mode, looks great in quality mode but locked to a piss poor 30 fps.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played it, was pretty good. I had to turn vocals off or very low due to the insane amount of chatter during combat. Combat itself felt rather spammy, but I think I can get used to it over time.

Still not a huge fan of forced party play, during the Story. Multiplayer was good.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Anyone else play the demo? Had a blast - hard to describe, seems like the first 20-30 hours will be a basic party based JRPG driven loosely by a story then end game loop will be kill bosses from a hub and master all characters while leveling up weapons and sigils. It's a ton of fun, plays great and the combat is really interesting. Every character from the demo plays quite a bit differently from one another and I'm really stoked for release. Going PC to test out new OLED 4k monitor because the two resolution modes on PS5 are kinda meh - it looks kind of janky in performance mode, looks great in quality mode but locked to a piss poor 30 fps.
Played the demo on PS5 on an OLED. The games art style didn't really need to be playing at 4k, imo. Looked great on both settings to .e.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This looks surprisingly good for weeb shit? I haven't played a weeb shit game since the first Xenoblade.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This looks surprisingly good for weeb shit? I haven't played a weeb shit game since the first Xenoblade.
Yeah it's kind of got a xenoblade meets Monster Hunter meets MMO bosses kind of feeling that's hard to describe. Combat is really satisfying and the move inputs are AAA. It's also not a gacha and per devs is intended to be a "complete" RPG experience at launch.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Played it, was pretty good. I had to turn vocals off or very low due to the insane amount of chatter during combat. Combat itself felt rather spammy, but I think I can get used to it over time.

Still not a huge fan of forced party play, during the Story. Multiplayer was good.
Yeah the forced party during the MSQ's clutters up the screen a ton, but I think you can mainline that in a few days and then jump into boss hunts either solo, solo with ai, or full party w/ friends. Will definitely play on launch on PC if peeps want to MH some bosses together. Planning on going support (loved Io during beta).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oh so this is some kind of service game and not just a single player game? Bleh.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Nah it's a single player game - not a GAAS. End game is a bit like MHW though where you're farming upgrades, killing new monsters etc.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh so this is some kind of service game and not just a single player game? Bleh.
Yea, its not a GAAS, its a full fledged jrpg, but with MHW like encounters to do as you go through the MSQ and after. The MP is pretty fun once a character gels with your playstyle.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
With these types of games do you play one dude in the party and the rest auto or is it more like a real-time bg3 or so,ething where you need to control everyone?

it reminds me of an anime “bioshock” which was a good game, neat combat and ideas, beautiful world, fluid controls, meh story.…but the problem was reptiti nature of it all. It would be like permanently fighting trash mobs in an mmo

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
With these types of games do you play one dude in the party and the rest auto or is it more like a real-time bg3 or so,ething where you need to control everyone?

it reminds me of an anime “bioshock” which was a good game, neat combat and ideas, beautiful world, fluid controls, meh story.…but the problem was reptiti nature of it all. It would be like permanently fighting trash mobs in an mmo

Yeah it's auto and you play one character through the main story, however, during the end game "monster hunter" loop you can play completely solo (no team), pick a character and ai the other 3, or 4 players online multiplayer. During the demo I played solo with no teammates and had a great time trying to S+ bosses.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hmm so this is another MH like game where you cant play the story with friends?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm so this is another MH like game where you cant play the story with friends?
You can play story coop in MHW for most of it, just kinda clunky cause you have to go and find the monster on your own game first, then once you've seen the cutscene, leave, then join multi to play together.

This however works like older and MH Rise yeah, where story is solo only, and the equivalent of MH Hub quests are what can be played in multiplayer. At least that's what I understood from the various coverage of it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Boner - really pumped for this shame steam version isn’t releasing early like ps5.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been playing this today and its rather good. Performance mode on ps5 is a rock solid 60, and combat is smooth and responsive. The skill effects are a bit much, and I wish I could tone them down. So far the MSQ is moving pretty quick, and there hasn't been a ton of side quests to do, those will probably increase after finishing the story. Have been playing a ranged character mostly as it feels less spammy that the melee's I've tried out. Will most likely get the game on PC later on too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
How much content is there after you do the story and side quests stuff? Are we looking at potentially 100s of hours of farming like monster hunter?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How much content is there after you do the story and side quests stuff? Are we looking at potentially 100s of hours of farming like monster hunter?
Yea, the Story itself is pretty short, maybe 15hrs. Then you hit the endgame stuff with various difficulties which can all be done in co op matchmaking.

I do like that there is some variety to the endgame stuff instead of "go kill boss in this arena". So far there has been Boss fights, Horde mode, Survival mode and Defend modes. The Horde/Survival modes will get pretty fun once characters are fully developed since their are to s of mobs coming at you.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm on Chapter 8 of 9 (+1), and it's been quite fun. There has only been one boss fight which I didn't like so far. Some tips.

Whenever you zone into a new area, always look behind you for shines, the devs seem to love putting stuff there.

You get your first recruit voucher at around lvl10. If there isn't a character that you really want to try out, consider holding off on getting them until you are done with the Story. Those new characters will be scaled up to near your highest lvl characters, with fleshed out Masteries. This can save you a lot of time/resources. Then again, if a new character seems interesting, grab it. Note, you can't try them out before recruiting them..sadly.

Masteries. This is where you will get the bulk of character strength. Also where you get all your Skills. The Defensive tree is where you'll get all the Support skills, so don't forget to spend points in there. Weapons also have passive that you unlock in Masteries as you lvl them up, so make sure to get every weapon for your characters (these also scale up to be close to where you are lvld).

Story and MC. The MC has to be in the party for all the Story missions, but you don't need to play them. Whichever character you place in the leftmost slot is the on you control. If you spend points in the Defensive Mastery tree, you can make the MC into a Support type with good buffs.

Sigils. These are like Decorations in MHW and will allow you customize how your characters play a lot. You'll gain more Sigil slots from Mastery trees and Fate quests (lore quests for each character that also buffs stats).

Anyway, the game is an easy recommendation, can't wait for April when they release the Bow waifu.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyway, the game is an easy recommendation, can't wait for April when they release the Bow waifu.
That's my issue, on one hand I could play this now and then replay it later, or I could just wait later until all the DLCs are released and I get more stuff to play. Just not sure. At the same time I don't really have anything too specific to play until Dragon's Dogma 2 releases in a month and a half so maybe I'll give it a go.