Grand Theft Auto V

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
That's what you fscking early adapters get! I, for one, bought last minute and just downloaded in a couple of hours, no decryption for me!

Now to find out which setting I fucked up, it's locked at 50FPS @ 55%GPU usage. Come on, just 10 more FPS! /FirstWorldProblems

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I too bought last minute, got 10 mb/s from Rockstar during launch time, surprisingly, was able to play at 9 PM EST. I have a pretty shitty computer by all standards, built about 3 years ago, and it was mid range at best then. Surprisingly even though I run it at low settings it runs beautifully with zero choppiness and it looks good (people with newer systems who are used to running high/extreme settings on new games would probably disagree.)

In any case I should probably upgrade my video card soon. For the moment I'm happy it runs, smoothly at that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Can I run this shit maxed out at 1080p on a R290?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its been so long since i used amd graphics cards that im not sure what generation or how recent that model is but im running it damn near full on a 770, just turned down some os the aliasing and shit a tad because i like to keep the card running 10 degrees celsius lower than its suggested max of eighty degrees celsius.

Its really well optimized much like max payne 3

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Running full everything, even the 2 options under Advanced, at a smooth 55-60fps+ with a GTX980 and somewhat old processor.

So...looking to train Chop the pooch, and the iFruit android app won't let me pick PC as preferred platform ;\ Anyone find a workaround?

spronk

FPS noob
i'm surprised at how big pc sales are, its already sold over 1m copies on steam (gmg/other key sites/physical copies give non steam keys) and is the biggest non valve concurrent users steam game, beating even skyrim at its peak. and its just been out for a day.

steam sales are also all MSRP basically since it hasn't been on sale yet, they just made back like almost the entire budget of the original game ($100m) just on PC sales already.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Fuck it, I just ordered a MSI GTX 970 4G card from Amazon. That should last a few more years anyway, been a long time since I've upgraded, and I've noticed some newer games not dealing nicely with my ancient HD5770 1 gig anymore. Amazing that card has lasted as long as it has and even has the ability to play GTA V smoothly on low settings.

My 3 year old CPU will still probably be somewhat of a bottleneck but this should still be a huge improvement.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Fuck it, I just ordered a MSI GTX 970 4G card. That should last a few more years anyway, been a long time since I've upgraded, and I've noticed some newer games not dealing nicely with my ancient HD5770 1 gig anymore. Amazing that card has lasted as long as it has and even has the ability to play GTA V smoothly on low settings.
Yeah games are getting to where they really need 4 gb cards standard just to run decently. Another year or so and it'll be hard to even get them running on 1gb cards.

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
My 3 year old CPU will still probably be somewhat of a bottleneck but this should still be a huge improvement.
I have an old CPU, but bought a cheap watercooled solution (Corsair something), it was easy to install and helped me crank it up. I don't see a need to upgrade my processor anytime soon, they haven't gotten much faster lately anyway.

Game has been a blast so far. First person mode really is sweet

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Depends on what your "old" CPU is. If you're talking i5-2500K (or 2550K) then yeah you're still fine, especially if you OC it.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Sitting here at work, I just dug it up on my Amazon past orders (thank you Amazon for keeping such records searchable!)

ORDER PLACED
July 19, 2012

ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155

It was $120 back then, so definitely not top end even for its time.

It's not gonna be optimal but I should still see a huge difference with this new card, yeah?

Edit:

Just Googled a bit and people said it'd probably work well enough according to a couple of tech forums.

Vorph

Yes, that should still be a huge upgrade over a HD5770 regardless of CPU.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Sitting here at work, I just dug it up on my Amazon past orders (thank you Amazon for keeping such records searchable!)

ORDER PLACED
July 19, 2012

ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i3-2120 Processor 3.3 GHz 3MB Cache Socket LGA1155

It was $120 back then, so definitely not top end even for its time.

It's not gonna be optimal but I should still see a huge difference with this new card, yeah?

Edit:

Just Googled a bit and people said it'd probably work well enough according to a couple of tech forums.
With a Z68 Mobo you should find a used 2500k and it would destroy the CPU you have now. Especially when with a cooler master for $32 or so, you can OC it easily to 4.5 Ghz. (This is what I do currently and with a 770 GTX Gigabyte 4 Gb Card, I am able to run anything and most likely will for a long time. And the last time I upgraded was 2012. (With that said, I currently run 2 24" Dell 1200p displays. I am guessing when I move to 4k when it becomes more mainstream, I will be doing a major overhaul.) But I bet that will be at least 2-3 more years given most games for PC are becoming more and more each day, upscaled console ports.

Vorph

Yeah, i5 2500k/2550k/3550/3570k will all fit in that mobo, but prices for new ones suck now. If you could get a used one for a good price it'd definitely be worth it though. I would try to find a 2550k rather than a 2500k though. It's a newer/better chip but the price difference should be negligible.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
8 hours in now. Don't have a console so I was waiting for the PC version.

WOW.

This game is fucking amazing. The size of the map, the dialogue, controls, fuckin everything. Game is superb, truly. First person mode is so much fun for gunplay, too. That was a great addition to the game. Playing with kb/m instead of my 360 controller; the driving and flying aren't bad at all and the aiming (I think without auto-aim? If it's defaulted off then it's definitely off, I didn't see an option for it when I went through settings) is much easier with mouse, especially in 1st person.

I'm playing on an older (3.5 year) PC: GTX 580, i7-2600k oc'd to about 4.0, 8gb ram, Win7 64bit. Installed it on my newer SSD. I can play medium, maybe medium high without any noticeable slowdown (very slightly sometimes at night due to shadows, in densely lit areas) and at 1080p.

Game kind of makes me want to upgrade but I'm at the point where I'd have to upgrade Mobo and processor just to get a newer GPU...